Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reminder of New Washington EV Parking Law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Pacific Place today and noticed a grey MS parked in the EV charging spot but was not charging.

When I disconnected, parking security came by and asked if that was my car. I told him no and that I just disconnected and I'm leaving now. Hopefully he wasn't written up for a ticket.

Just a kind reminder to all WA owners that you can be ticketed if you are parked in an EV stall but not charging.

New law: Illegally parking in electric-vehicle charging spot will cost $124 | Q13 FOX News

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375404188070.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375404188070.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 798
That spot is not compliant with the new law as it needs green strips. And I've been pushing the City of Bellevue (where we are typically ICE'd) to paint their stalls green

Here's the law: SB 5849 - 2013-14

Quote from the statute:
Additionally, the electric vehicle charging station must be indicated by green pavement markings.

I noticed that part, but does the EV in green in the center of the stall count? This part of the law seem like a real nightmare for stalls created prior to the passing of this law. I myself have only seen a few stalls in town with green stall markers on the side.

That spot is not compliant with the new law as it needs green strips.
Yes, and isn't that a rather silly PC requirement? The sign says it all, and green stripes are rather meaningless. As I see it, that is just going to delay enactment, as I don't see municipalities or others rushing out to repaint the stripes.

And, the code says green pavement markings, so might the big green square in the photo suffice? The code does not say stripes, just markings.

And, the code says green pavement markings, so might the big green square in the photo suffice? The code does not say stripes, just markings.

Yeah, you are right, pavement markings in green are all that is needed. I swear I read that it said green pavement 'lines'. Thanks for noticing! It might be easier for municipalities to use a stencil to paint spots rather than paint straight lines.

What is the actual RCW number? I've looked but wasn't able to come up with it. There's a guy in a Ford Expedition that regularly ICEs an EVSE in Edmonds that I would love to leave a little note for. Putting the RCW number in the note would help, I'd think.

But vindictiveness aside, I don't see any teeth in the bill to get municipalities or other entities to comply. Both with marking and enforcement. If they don't mark the stalls, people can get out of the tickets - it didn't have the green stripes, your honor, so it wasn't a valid EVSE stall. I wonder if it's legal for a private party to mark the stalls.

HERE are some guidelines from the Seattle EV Association on how to install an EVSE to fit in with the law. Green stripes are definitely not required, just markings; however, I think stripes are a really good idea as ICE drivers get the idea that you are not supposed to park where there are stripes. I have recommended that this doc be updated to suggest stripes (while noting they are optional).

Note that CA has had a similar law for a while. There was much concern that people would unplug cars and they would then get a ticket. In practice, I have never heard of that happening (part of the reason being that a lot of EVSE sites do not comply with the installation guidelines and therefore the law doesn't apply). Nevertheless, the law should be updated - and that is in the works. I tried to get it changed before this one got passed, but the consensus was that it was too late to make changes; if we wanted the law it had to go in as-is.

The public RCW doesn't seem to have been updated yet so I don't have a number; but I expect it very soon. Probably in section 46.08.

Looks like the Whole Foods in Seattle is getting two CHAdeMO stations in the 2200 parking deck on P3 level. None of the EV parking spots yet have the green paint though but wasn't sure who to contact. The contractor said the CHAdeMO installations 'work on all cars' which I thought was reassuring.

Revisiting old thread after searching for anything related to WA state. Cross-post thread post on latest example of ICE'ing at EV charge spots at SEATAC airport long term parking. EV Parking Violation Notice Sample

pics and sample text for friendly reminder there, comments on that thread appreciated. Don't want to alienate anyone, though airport EV parking is key for long journeys and I truly believe it's more a lack of knowledge than malicious intent.

^^^Unfortunately, that was my experience as well the last time I was at that location. The Leafs/Volts/PiPs and other short-range BEV/PHEVs need to charge to avoid gasoline. Teslas don't (usually). If you are not charging, don't park there! Period. If you don't "need" the charge, then try to avoid parking there. This last point is not an absolute, depending on the number of parking stalls. I would prefer to see a "close" to full EV parking just to show the general public that these spots are being used. However, close to 100% full with non-charging Teslas is just not right.

Is it not also illegal to park in EV spots and not charge, i.e. Just as bad as ICe in terms of the state?

Again from what I posted at: EV Parking Violation Notice Sample is it that people don't know, or don't care? I like to assume the former, though there are enough examples now it is appearing to be more a case of the latter.

Would a note like the below help?

Parking Violation Notification

Per Washington State law RCW 46.08.185 (2): “It is a parking infraction, with a monetary penalty of one hundred twenty-four dollars, for any person to park a vehicle in an electric vehicle charging station provided on public or private property if the vehicle is not connected to the charging equipment.”. In addition, your vehicle may be towed at your expense.

These charging stations are a critical component of fueling electric vehicles and their locations are carefully considered to minimize disruption to their use. Your future help respecting their clearly signed locations is appreciated.

For more information please refer to: RCW 46.08.185: Electric vehicle charging stations.

Is it not also illegal to park in EV spots and not charge, i.e. Just as bad as ICe in terms of the state?

Again from what I posted at: EV Parking Violation Notice Sample is it that people don't know, or don't care? I like to assume the former, though there are enough examples now it is appearing to be more a case of the latter.

Would a note like the below help?

Parking Violation Notification

Per Washington State law RCW 46.08.185 (2): “It is a parking infraction, with a monetary penalty of one hundred twenty-four dollars, for any person to park a vehicle in an electric vehicle charging station provided on public or private property if the vehicle is not connected to the charging equipment.”. In addition, your vehicle may be towed at your expense.

These charging stations are a critical component of fueling electric vehicles and their locations are carefully considered to minimize disruption to their use. Your future help respecting their clearly signed locations is appreciated.

For more information please refer to: RCW 46.08.185: Electric vehicle charging stations.

Someone parking there knows very well that this is against the law.
I think it's time to call for enforcement, not nice leaflet reminding people that there is a law.