Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reminder to new owners - Always carry your Key card!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like a bit of a luddite all of a sudden. I’d never heard of Stocard - do you rate it? My wallet is a bit bloated with a variety of cards I never really use, and it’s taken this post for me to think how I don’t actually need to have them all in there at all. ☺️

Its just an app that lets you add storecards etc to your apple wallet. So you can double click to bring up apple pay, and then you have stocard there so you can also bring up your tesco clubcard etc. Sits things in the same location your boarding passes etc go (remember those?) Very handy

Reactions: Durzel
I don’t think the Tesla network has any bearing on the phone unlocking the car. It’s a direct Bluetooth connection.
It doesn’t (at least for the model 3); the problem occurs because the app needs to be logged in on the device, so if you randomly decide to open the app and do something like turn on climate and the Tesla servers are down - sometimes it causes the app to log out disabling your key.

OK, interest piqued!

How long does it last/how does it charger? How secure is it? How does it pair/clone?
The ring contains the same tech as the Tesla card & has the same functions. It's entirely passive, doesn't need charging & locks/unlocks the car from the drivers pillar or starts it by placing the knuckle over the area behind the cupholders. It can also be used to pair phones etc ie identical in function to the card. Mine is zirconium, totally waterproof and came from Hansshow just after they launched it (I got an introductory discount and paid less than £80 delivered UK but I think it's higher now).

It has never left my finger, never let me down & seems to work whenever I need it, especially handy if I walk out to the car to get or load something or open/close the charge port without needing to have the phone present.... In fact if that's your thing, I guess it would even suit a Tesla nudist :oops:

Last edited:
I feel like a bit of a luddite all of a sudden. I’d never heard of Stocard - do you rate it? My wallet is a bit bloated with a variety of cards I never really use, and it’s taken this post for me to think how I don’t actually need to have them all in there at all. ☺️
I've got everything except my credit/debit cards on this app - Tesco/Waitrose/John Lewis/Nectar/Boots/B&Q/Screwfix/IKEA etc etc, even our local zoo and Nat Trust cards (although not supposed to but they have let me use on a couple of occasions when I forgot those cards)

A reminder to all the new owners and soon to be new owners - ALWAYS carry your Tesla Key Card with you!

No matter how much fun the app on your phone is, it is not 100% reliable. As an example the Tesla network was down for a short while earlier today, rendering phone keys unusable. There are occasions when for some random reason your phone key will simply disconnect itself and it will need the Key Card to repair it.

This is well known by long term owners, but you really don't want to learn the hard way.….
While I agree it is good to carry your keycard, in 3+ years of ownership I have never needed it. Including once when the Tesla network was down. I could not use my app to do remote functions like open the trunk or pre-condition the cabin, but my phone allowed me to open my car and drive. Those functions are Bluetooth based and not dependent on the network being active (think about the problems people would have who park down 3 levels in a parking garage you get no mobile signal).

I have found the phone as key to be highly reliable. (A couple of times I had to close/reopen the Tesla app and restart Bluetooth but never have I been unable to get in and drive). I carry the keycard primarily in case I lose my phone or its battery dies.

I do know some people have reported problems. I believe those are mostly phone configuration issues of phone software conflicts. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

I came to the Model 3 from a Model S, so was used to carrying a key fob.
Looking at the Model 3 setup, I got a M3 key fob, and a lot of the problems described above just go away. Carry a key fob and it just works, with walk-up unlocking and walk-away locking without you having to do anything.
Using the phone key the car also automatically unlocks and locks. With no need to carry any extra gizmos.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

A reminder to all the new owners and soon to be new owners - ALWAYS carry your Tesla Key Card with you!

No matter how much fun the app on your phone is, it is not 100% reliable. As an example the Tesla network was down for a short while earlier today, rendering phone keys unusable. There are occasions when for some random reason your phone key will simply disconnect itself and it will need the Key Card to repair it.

This is well known by long term owners, but you really don't want to learn the hard way.….
That's why I got one of the CNICK keycard rings. Always in my finger (even when I'm swimming) .. so I can lock stuff in car at the beach securely.

As I need to carry my house key anyway and when I drive I should have my driving license on me I searched for ‘key wallet’ on the web. It took me a while to find one that isn’t bulky. It is basically just a slim leather wallet that can hold 4-5 cards and has a key ring attached. So I’ve got my house key and the essential cards (driving license, Tesla key, backup Credit Card for when Apple Pay fails, Range card) all in a fairly small wallet. No money though.

Reactions: Nick77
As I need to carry my house key anyway and when I drive I should have my driving license on me I searched for ‘key wallet’ on the web. It took me a while to find one that isn’t bulky. It is basically just a slim leather wallet that can hold 4-5 cards and has a key ring attached. So I’ve got my house key and the essential cards (driving license, Tesla key, backup Credit Card for when Apple Pay fails, Range card) all in a fairly small wallet. No money though.
Cool. Stick up a link so we can take a look.

no mini cards? like you get get a teeny Tesco clubcard that attaches to your keychain? That’d be a good option for many I think?

D8A182AE-76E6-4EBD-8917-97590C45CF5C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason71