Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this app be able to give me a 1/2 hr log of charging levels? It would be helpful to know how long it takes to go from 90% to 100% when I'm range charging.

No. But you can figure this out by setting the charge limit to 90% then looking at the remaining charge time. Then setting it to 100% and then looking at the remaining time. At a supercharger, I think it's 20 minutes. But the last 1% is tricky, because it seems to take forever. I think there's some kind of exponential drop off point or something that makes it hard to charge the last few %. I think to truly complete 90 to 100%, it's about 40 minutes? Also depends on if your climate is on I think.

No. But you can figure this out by setting the charge limit to 90% then looking at the remaining charge time. Then setting it to 100% and then looking at the remaining time. At a supercharger, I think it's 20 minutes. But the last 1% is tricky, because it seems to take forever. I think there's some kind of exponential drop off point or something that makes it hard to charge the last few %. I think to truly complete 90 to 100%, it's about 40 minutes? Also depends on if your climate is on I think.

The last 1% is understood to be battery balancing (or at least, while balancing is in progress the state is held at 99% and not allowed to tick over to 100% - probably the actual charging from 99% to 100% takes the same time as 98% to 99%, just that 99% is then extended for an arbitrary length of time while balancing proceeds). Since there's no means to access the current state of balance, there's no way to tell how long the balancing will take.

But for practical purposes the difference between 99% and 100% doesn't matter - if you are waiting to drive off there's no point waiting for 100%, or if you are concerned about having the charge finish during off-peak hours, the very low current drawn during balancing doesn't really matter if it carries over into a peak period.

But for practical purposes the difference between 99% and 100% doesn't matter - if you are waiting to drive off there's no point waiting for 100%, or if you are concerned about having the charge finish during off-peak hours, the very low current drawn during balancing doesn't really matter if it carries over into a peak period.

I agree that the difference between having a 99% charge and a 100% charge won't make a practical difference with respect to your range. But the important point that you are ignoring here is that for people who don't charge to 100% often, the pack balancing is a benefit of that charge that they may want. Tesla advises to only range charge (100% charge) when necessary. So if I'm going to do something that I only do rarely, I want to make sure that if there is a benefit to doing it that goes along with the downside, I receive that benefit. By stopping a range charge at 99%, before the pack balancing completes, one would be getting most of whatever the negative effects of the 100% charge are, but missing out on the one positive one, or at least on some of the one positive one --a newly balanced pack. (And when I say "one positive one" I mean one in addition, of course to having a higher state of charge.)

I agree that the difference between having a 99% charge and a 100% charge won't make a practical difference with respect to your range. But the important point that you are ignoring here is that for people who don't charge to 100% often, the pack balancing is a benefit of that charge that they may want. Tesla advises to only range charge (100% charge) when necessary. So if I'm going to do something that I only do rarely, I want to make sure that if there is a benefit to doing it that goes along with the downside, I receive that benefit. By stopping a range charge at 99%, before the pack balancing completes, one would be getting most of whatever the negative effects of the 100% charge are, but missing out on the one positive one, or at least on some of the one positive one --a newly balanced pack. (And when I say "one positive one" I mean one in addition, of course to having a higher state of charge.)

Sure, but there's nothing that a mobile app can do to help. 100% charge to get the benefits of balancing is only feasible if you've got time to spare - it can take hours in the worst case, and the app has know way to predict it.

The original request in post #723 was for the app to advise time to 100%. It can do this if it treats 99%->100% the same as 98%->99%. At the predicted 100% time, the car may well be still showing 99%, but for most scheduling purposes this is good enough. If the app tries to do it heuristically, the result is likely to be severely wrong (as the balancing time varies wildly).

For most scheduling tasks that I can think of (planning how long to wait at a supercharger stop, scheduling overnight charging to finish at departure time in the morning), the 99.9% time is actually what you would want to use even if you had a means of estimating the time to complete balancing.

Sure, but there's nothing that a mobile app can do to help. 100% charge to get the benefits of balancing is only feasible if you've got time to spare - it can take hours in the worst case, and the app has know way to predict it.

I wasn't disputing the above.

I only posted to correct what you had written about there being no practical difference between charging to 99% or 100%.

You wrote:

But for practical purposes the difference between 99% and 100% doesn't matter - if you are waiting to drive off there's no point waiting for 100%

My point is that for many people, there most certainly is a point in waiting for the charge to complete.

I'm in no way suggesting that Allen's app should be able to predict how long this will take. I know that it can't.

Just had my surgery. Someone bring me my MacBook so I can get back to work!
image.jpg

Just kidding.

Looking great!

Hey Allen,
You are sitting up! And already thinking about getting back to your life. Woohoo! No doubt a big hurdle for you, all the pent up normal worry and anxiety about this day has come...and gone...you have made it it through alive and kicking. And thats huge. One huge step done. And you made it.
Keep looking up! (and no so much to the right...):biggrin:
Godspeed on your recovery....

Status
Not open for further replies.