Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Apple Watch feature, but....

I want to thank you so much for beating Tesla to the Apple Watch generation. Well done. And most important good luck with your surgery. Don't worry about this app, it's all about your health.

I don't want to be critical but I would like to know why people prefer your app over the Tesla one. I did pay the $10 and I have no remorse. The Apple Watch feature is worth it.

I understand the one page layout and the watch feature. I have an Apple watch and it works pretty good. A Siri commend would be amazing. But there is so much real estate that does nothing for me. In the iPhone app it shows all those ranges. Who cares about those on the watch. It shows an orange car that only tells me if it's unlocked or not. I don't have a sunroof so the bottom right is also a waste of valuable space. I would rather see if the car is in motion and how fast it's going. Also the tracking feature is cool but it always goes back to autozoom and if you close the app, it's all gone. I do like the odometer.

I do prefer the clean Tesla look on several pages and I always go there to see if I didn't mistakenly pressed one of those buttons to turn on the AC or started the charging. Please make the layout more Apple and Tesla like. Clean lines and easy to navigate.

I am sure Tesla will release their own Apple Watch version and then what?

I do love the auto start with touch id. But after showing it off to your buddies, how often do people really use this feature? After all you do need cell reception and in San Francisco in a underground garage you might be out of luck. Not sure how many people leave the car key at home.

I hope that you will find time to improve your app or maybe help Telsa on theirs.

Please take my critics the proper way. I am just trying to help you make this a better app.

I'm also interested in voice control. I think there might be more interest than you think.

FYI: You don't have to pause after saying "Hey Siri" to the watch and wait for the prompt. You can just keep talking and it will catch up. Might save you a second.

I'm definitely a +1 for voice control.

my vn 1.1 loaded overnight and I discovered it because it vanished from the watch. I had to renewable it for the watch to get it to install and run.

Probably a watch limitation though thought I should mention. At the time the watch was on charge so off my wrist.

Last edited:
I am sure Tesla will release their own Apple Watch version and then what?
1. It's going to be a long time before that happens. I deduced that from my phone call with Tesla's recruiter. 2. Anything can be improved upon. Just because Tesla releases an Apple Watch app doesn't mean that it'll be perfect.

I do love the auto start with touch id. But after showing it off to your buddies, how often do people really use this feature? After all you do need cell reception and in San Francisco in a underground garage you might be out of luck. Not sure how many people leave the car key at home.
It might not be used often, but it does come in handy when you're in a rush. Just the other day, I was washing my car when I needed to move the car closer to the hose. I had left the car keys in the house. It saved me time by just opening the app and using Touch ID to start the car rather than having to run back into the house and search for the key fob. And rather than having to type in my long MyTesla password.

I hope that you will find time to improve your app or maybe help Telsa on theirs.
I'm putting a lot of time in improving the app. It would help me more if you showed me what specifically you want improved rather than just generically saying more "Apple and Tesla like", though. At least show me screenshots of what you want if you can't tell me. A lot of your criticisms were addressed in the version 2.0 interface, though.

Small Bug: Looks like the Tesla car silhouette doesn't show the vent status on the watch glance. The watch app itself shows portrays the correct status but the glance doesn't.

The graphics for the silhouette in general need a lot of work (individual doors, trunks, etc.). There are a lot of graphics I have to build to depict every car stat. Version 2.0's UI overhaul will include those graphics.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you use the Touch ID for auto start? I have it for Apple pay etc but I don't see where you set it up for the Remote S?

It's just a simple on/off switch when you first log in Remote S. By default, it is already enabled. To change the setting, you have to log out and log back in. The need to log in again is a security feature to prevent someone from enabling Touch ID without your MyTesla password. To activate auto start, you have to press "Keyless Start" and then it'll ask you for your Touch ID.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I'm putting a lot of time in improving the app. It would help me more if you showed me what specifically you want improved rather than just generically saying more "Apple and Tesla like", though. At least show me screenshots of what you want if you can't tell me. A lot of your criticisms were addressed in the version 2.0 interface, though.[/FONT]
----------------------

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]My eyes are not that great but I don't wear my reading glasses all the time when I use the Watch. Therefore clear buttons are welcomed and also a larger font on the iPhone. I play golf and cool down the car after the round. So that button gets used a lot for me. Why show the [/FONT]outline[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] of the car on the glances? Use status buttons that are clear and tell me if the AC is on or off, it's charging etc. But I will wait for version 2, since I think you heard it all from us and really listen to some of the great feedback.
[/FONT]
BTW: Take a look at the ConnecTT Watch app. Has some of the stuff I am talking about.

My eyes are not that great but I don't wear my reading glasses all the time when I use the Watch. Therefore clear buttons are welcomed and also a larger font on the iPhone. I play golf and cool down the car after the round. So that button gets used a lot for me. Why show the outline of the car on the glances? Use status buttons that are clear and tell me if the AC is on or off, it's charging etc. But I will wait for version 2, since I think you heard it all from us and really listen to some of the great feedback.

BTW: Take a look at the ConnecTT Watch app. Has some of the stuff I am talking about.

Outline of the car in glance and elsewhere will have a better graphical representation of the status of the car in version 2.0.

When you say clear buttons on the Watch, what do you mean? The size of the buttons in the menu are the largest it can be and is the standard size of buttons on the Applle Watch.

Outline of the car in glance and elsewhere will have a better graphical representation of the status of the car in version 2.0.

When you say clear buttons on the Watch, what do you mean? The size of the buttons in the menu are the largest it can be and is the standard size of buttons on the Applle Watch.

The ones you can see if you do a force click are great and plenty large but they should be visible without a force click. But again that's just my 2 cents and what I need it for the watch. The car outline always looks like a door is open. What else does it tell me? I don't have a sunroof. At least make it visible if the charger is connected or the port is open. Or can you show the trunk or frunk to be open?

Thank you that you respond to my input so fast. Really great communication.

Thank you that you respond to my input so fast. Really great communication.

I just want to echo this - amazing dedication to your user base, making changes, upgradres and improvements continously. I have never seen a developer so agile and interested in feedback! It's golden - I hope that if you do some work for Tesla, either as an employee or consultant, they'll keep letting you have this direct, two-way communication with the actual users. It makes for a far superior software product!

The ones you can see if you do a force click are great and plenty large but they should be visible without a force click. But again that's just my 2 cents and what I need it for the watch.

The need for a force click is a safety issue. Otherwise, you might accidentally press one of the buttons. I don't have plans on changing that. What I might do for you, since you don't have a sunroof, is to replace the sunroof button with another button that opens a screen that lets you turn on/off the HVAC, unlock/lock the car without a force click.

The car outline always looks like a door is open. What else does it tell me? I don't have a sunroof. At least make it visible if the charger is connected or the port is open. Or can you show the trunk or frunk to be open?

That's exactly what I'm doing in version 2.0.

I just want to echo this - amazing dedication to your user base, making changes, upgradres and improvements continously. I have never seen a developer so agile and interested in feedback! It's golden - I hope that if you do some work for Tesla, either as an employee or consultant, they'll keep letting you have this direct, two-way communication with the actual users. It makes for a far superior software product!

I couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.