Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
question: you get some response from teslas server that the command was successfully sent to the car (I.e. Hvac on), but does the app just assume the action was executed properly or does the app get a response from the car via teslas server or whatever, that the hvac is actually on in the car?

The timeline goes something like this in version 2.0 (in version 1.x, there's no messages or notifications or sound effects):
1st second:
User presses HVAC On
App assumes that it works, and HVAC On button becomes HVAC Off
App sends command to Teslas servers
App plays a sound effect for the button press
App writes a message to the user saying that the command is being sent

1-2 seconds later:
App gets back response from Tesla servers
App reads response and plays back a sound according to either failure or success
If it's a failure, it notifies the user either with a popup alert, or if the user closes the app before the response is returned, a local notification popup. This message should contain the reason for the failure.
If it's a failure, revert the HVAC Off button back to HVAC On.
If it's a success, a message to the user says that the command was successful

5 seconds later:
App asks and gets an update for the car's full status. At this point, things like fan speed will be displayed if the HVAC is on.

The 5 second delay is there because some commands take a while to complete, and if the app asks for the car's full status, the status might conflict with what the user pressed. For example, if the roof didn't fully open yet, the app will display that the roof is not fully open yet. So I left the 5 second delay to let the car finish doing the command. In the official Tesla app, the delay is in the form of a spinning car after each command. But this blocks you from seeing the stats in the time. So in my app, I don't block the user from app after each command issued. I handle the effects for when the command fails or succeeds. However, this delay may also make people think that the command didn't work. That's why in version 2.0, I keep the user informed of what's going on, so that they know within a second or two whether the command succeeded or failed.

The timeline goes something like this in version 2.0 (in version 1.x, there's no messages or notifications or sound effects):
1st second:
User presses HVAC On
App assumes that it works, and HVAC On button becomes HVAC Off
App sends command to Teslas servers
App plays a sound effect for the button press
App writes a message to the user saying that the command is being sent

1-2 seconds later:
App gets back response from Tesla servers
App reads response and plays back a sound according to either failure or success
If it's a failure, it notifies the user either with a popup alert, or if the user closes the app before the response is returned, a local notification popup. This message should contain the reason for the failure.
If it's a failure, revert the HVAC Off button back to HVAC On.
If it's a success, a message to the user says that the command was successful

5 seconds later:
App asks and gets an update for the car's full status. At this point, things like fan speed will be displayed if the HVAC is on.

The 5 second delay is there because some commands take a while to complete, and if the app asks for the car's full status, the status might conflict with what the user pressed. For example, if the roof didn't fully open yet, the app will display that the roof is not fully open yet. So I left the 5 second delay to let the car finish doing the command. In the official Tesla app, the delay is in the form of a spinning car after each command. But this blocks you from seeing the stats in the time. So in my app, I don't block the user from app after each command issued. I handle the effects for when the command fails or succeeds. However, this delay may also make people think that the command didn't work. That's why in version 2.0, I keep the user informed of what's going on, so that they know within a second or two whether the command succeeded or failed.

Perfect! That's what I was alluding to in my post several pages ago regarding good user experience. Thanks for taking feedback into consideration.

Car due in a week, Watch due in two weeks, app purchased today in anticipation :)

Thanks! I'm working around the clock to get Remote S v 2.0 finished. Just finished creating all the graphics yesterday for the graphical car representation of all the different car statuses possible.

Here's an example of the different car states:
screenshot.png

All doors open, frunk open, roof in open position, charging cable plugged in but not charging, front defroster turned on

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm working around the clock to get Remote S v 2.0 finished. Just finished creating all the graphics yesterday for the graphical car representation of all the different car statuses possible.

View attachment 83581

All doors open, frunk open, roof in open position, charging cable plugged in but not charging, front defroster turned on

Very cool! Out of curiosity, what does the 07 box represent? I'm hoping for locked/unlocked status!

View attachment 83581

Whilst at this early stage of graphical representation, to much to factor the 5 potential heated seats?

You've set the bar incredibly high, just looking for ANYTHING that could be considered :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool! Out of curiosity, what does the 07 box represent? I'm hoping for locked/unlocked status!

HVAC?

A giant orange unlock graphic if the car is unlocked. Nothing if the car is locked.

Whilst at this early stage of graphical representation, to much to factor the 5 potential heated seats?

You've set the bar incredibly high, just looking for ANYTHING that could be considered :)

HVAC?

There's actually 7 potential heated seats. I'm not at the early stage of graphical representation. I'm already finished with it. I'd have to slice up the graphics even further to represent all 7 seats. It'll take me time to restructure my interface to fit the 7 seats, but I can add your request.

HVAC graphic is represented in the bottom-left corner with a "wind" symbol.

A giant orange unlock graphic if the car is unlocked. Nothing if the car is locked.

Thansk Allen. I would highly appreciate it if you could also put a giant lock icon if the car is locked. I often go to the official app to confirm my car is locked, as I have experience a bug where the auto walk-away lock setting doesn't kick in and my car stays unlocked all day :-(

Thansk Allen. I would highly appreciate it if you could also put a giant lock icon if the car is locked. I often go to the official app to confirm my car is locked, as I have experience a bug where the auto walk-away lock setting doesn't kick in and my car stays unlocked all day :-(

Is there any way to have the app send a notification if the car remains unlocked for a certain amount of time (e.g., at least one hour)? I have an app for my garage doors that does this and find it can be very useful.

Okay. I'll leave a light blue lock symbol in the same spot if the car is locked.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any way to have the app send a notification if the car remains unlocked for a certain amount of time (e.g., at least one hour)? I have an app for my garage doors that does this and find it can be very useful.

If I can get background scheduling to work, it can open up the functionality to stuff like this. The interface is currently taking priority, so I'm trying to finish that up first before I attempt background scheduling.

Are you considering making a "crippled" version that will only show the status of the car without allowing any inputs? I'd love to let my kids install a status-only version on their phones, and will NOT allow them to install a version that could change any of the car states.

Are you considering making a "crippled" version that will only show the status of the car without allowing any inputs? I'd love to let my kids install a status-only version on their phones, and will NOT allow them to install a version that could change any of the car states.

I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but in case you didn't know, you can essentially "cripple" any app on your phone by using the built-in Guided Access feature in iOS. It lets you selectively enable and disable certain parts of the screen, the home button, etc. So if you wanted to let your kids see your car's status but not input anything, you could run the app, enable Guided Access, and then disable the entire screen so that they could not change any settings. Or, if you wanted to just them interact with the map but not change any of the charging settings, you could just disable the portion of the screen where the car controls are located and leave the rest of the screen active.

No, I didn't know that feature. I'll have to check it out. One concern: Can the user disable that function & gain access? If so, then it is worthless (to me, at least).

No, it requires your passcode to disable it. Parents use it all the time to lock kids to a certain app and disallow access to anywhere else on the phone. But yea, I can make a crippled version.

Correct. Access to the digital crown should make changing the temperature and changing charge limit much faster and easier on the watch.

As well as this: Apps can access the microphone, play audio through watch speaker or Bluetooth speaker. I can probably leverage that tech to do voice command on the Apple Watch as well as give audio feedback for when a command is issued successfully or failed. This audio feedback is implemented in Remote S version 2.0 already (can be muted in settings or using side mute button on device). Currently adding other features to v 2.0.

You should use KITTs voice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.