Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is true, I'm not sure Allen is going to view that as a success.

I believe the new app decreases the default interval time between contacting the Tesla servers. Allen had tested this, and found the default he was using to be acceptable. But there's nothing to prevent Tesla from changing things on their end, which they could have done in response to their servers being hit more frequently.

I don't know that the above is what's going on, but it is one possibility. Another is that even if Tesla made no change today, Allen testing the frequency could have been fine, but then having a bunch of users using the app with the same polling frequency is above some overall threshold Tesla has set for throttling.

Luckily if this is the issue, the app has a setting, as I understand it, so that users can change the frequency on their own. But back to my original point, none of this is likely to be anything Allen is particularly happy about.

Yes, I was worried about that too. I increased the minimum interval in my Remote S app to 30 seconds shortly after playing with it as I think 5 is a little too aggressive.

Unless the car is being actually driven, in which case Tesla's APIs can be pinged every few seconds (as my VT logs can attest to - been running it fine for 5 months non-stop), I don't think it's a good idea to pull data every 5 seconds for stationary updates.

I believe VT (VisibleTesla) pulls data every 4 minutes when stationary and in "Stay awake" mode (not allowing the car to enter sleep, at which point pings are every 30 minutes or so).

EDIT: I wonder if background app refreshes also need to be disabled... Hmmm. Allen, how does that work? If the app is not "killed" but running in the background, and "background app refresh" is enabled for Remote S, how often does it ping Tesla's servers?

Last edited:
It's hard to explain why the breadcrumb doesn't work without seeing what is going on. My guess is that either your connection is poor where you drove by and/or Tesla's API server is throttling you for some reason. There's also the chance that you turned of breadcrumb mode and didn't know. Blue means on.

As for the crashing, I do not know. It doesn't crash for me, but then again, I'm on iOS 8.3 and didn't update to 8.4 yet.

To test this theory, I just installed iOS8.3 on an iPad and then installed Remote S. Under iOS8.3, tapping on a red pin pulls up statistics in a white box. Tapping on the white box gives me a number of options, including "Open in Maps", Waze Drive Directions", etc. Doing the same thing on the iPhone 6 Plus running iOS8.4 causes the app to crash. I assume that means there is an incompatibility issue with Remote S and iOS8.4.

In case it matters, testing on the iPad was done using wifi, while the iPhone was tested on ATT using LTE and also tested on wifi.

Yes, I was worried about that too. I increased the minimum interval in my Remote S app to 30 seconds shortly after playing with it as I think 5 is a little too aggressive.

Unless the car is being actually driven, in which case Tesla's APIs can be pinged every few seconds (as my VT logs can attest to - been running it fine for 5 months non-stop), I don't think it's a good idea to pull data every 5 seconds for stationary updates.

I believe VT (VisibleTesla) pulls data every 4 minutes when stationary and in "Stay awake" mode (not allowing the car to enter sleep, at which point pings are every 30 minutes or so).

It actually has been 5 seconds interval since version 1.1 came out a month ago. But you guys can change it whatever you feel comfortable with. I've been using the 5 second interval just fine for the past month. I occasionally get throttled but the throttling only lasts for a minute and it seems independent of what refresh interval I use. I even set it to one second, and it continued to work.. I think the problem is just that everyone's using the Remote S at the same time after the new update. And that's what's overloading the servers. Remote does have thousands of active users.

As for background app refresh, Apple determines how often that happens. And it is based on things like charge % and Internet connection and how often you use te app. It doesn't happen very often, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's just nice to have, because it updates your stats while the app is in the background, so when you start up the app, the stats are already updated.

- - - Updated - - -

To test this theory, I just installed iOS8.3 on an iPad and then installed Remote S. Under iOS8.3, tapping on a red pin pulls up statistics in a white box. Tapping on the white box gives me a number of options, including "Open in Maps", Waze Drive Directions", etc. Doing the same thing on the iPhone 6 Plus running iOS8.4 causes the app to crash. I assume that means there is an incompatibility issue with Remote S and iOS8.4.

In case it matters, testing on the iPad was done using wifi, while the iPhone was tested on ATT using LTE and also tested on wifi.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I wonder what Apple changed to break it. Strange. Usually incompatibility is with major updates like going from 7 to 8. Not very common for incompatibilities to happen with a minor update.

image.jpg

It's funny that you guys all independently came up with the same title for your app reviews. Thanks for leaving the reviews, though. It helps a lot with sales and chart ranking.

It actually has been 5 seconds interval since version 1.1 came out a month ago. But you guys can change it whatever you feel comfortable with. I've been using the 5 second interval just fine for the past month. I occasionally get throttled but the throttling only lasts for a minute and it seems independent of what refresh interval I use. I even set it to one second, and it continued to work.. I think the problem is just that everyone's using the Remote S at the same time after the new update. And that's what's overloading the servers. Remote does have thousands of active users.

As for background app refresh, Apple determines how often that happens. And it is based on things like charge % and Internet connection and how often you use te app. It doesn't happen very often, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's just nice to have, because it updates your stats while the app is in the background, so when you start up the app, the stats are already updated.

Got it, thanks for the details.

Given that there are already loads of Remote S users, and hopefully many more to come, may I suggest that you at least consider changing the default interval to a value higher than 5 seconds while keeping the minimum 5?

That way we don't risk flooding Telsa's servers and getting locked out, or worst case scenario, have Tesla reconsider opening up their API to the "public" which would prevent your awesome app of working altogether.

For quick background, Tesla move to new servers with a new API, so some users of the original VisibleTesla version as well all new Model S owners were not able to use VT until it was upgraded to support the new architecture. Would hate to see that happen with Remote S...

Thanks for your consideration.

Hi Allen,

I like to display my current charge rate in kWh instead of kph. The official app is showing that depending on the setting in the car. Can you make that a setting in 3.0? Thanks!

No problem. What's the setting in the car that switches it?

- - - Updated - - -

Got it, thanks for the details.

Given that there are already loads of Remote S users, and hopefully many more to come, may I suggest that you at least consider changing the default interval to a value higher than 5 seconds while keeping the minimum 5?

That way we don't risk flooding Telsa's servers and getting locked out, or worst case scenario, have Tesla reconsider opening up their API to the "public" which would prevent your awesome app of working altogether.

For quick background, Tesla move to new servers with a new API, so some users of the original VisibleTesla version as well all new Model S owners were not able to use VT until it was upgraded to support the new architecture. Would hate to see that happen with Remote S...

Thanks for your consideration.
Yea, I think I'm going to change it to every 15 seconds as default for version 3.0 if the car is stopped. And then switch it automatically to every 5 seconds if the car is driving.

Noticed that version 2 of the app was on my phone earlier today and ran out to the car to play with it. It really is so awesome. Already left a 5-star review on the app star noting that I can't live without it, LOL. Seriously though Allen - you knocked it out of the ball park again!

Used the breadcrumb feature from a short drive I just took. Worked flawlessly. Was able to save it, delete the current trip, and pull it back up from the saved listing without any difficulties at all. Am using the app on iPhone 6 running version 8.4, in case this helps to further understand why a few people are having issues with this functionality.

As for you Allen - already responding multiple times on the forum from your hospital bed on post-op day 1. You truly are superman. Regarding the vomiting, it often can be associated with the IV narcotics they are using for pain control. If you are continuing to have issues with it, they can try IV Zofran to help with the vomiting or switch you to a different narcotic. The itching also can come from the narcotic pain medicine they are using. This is no big deal unless it gets too uncomfortable or you begin having more severe symptoms. Of course, your doctor should already know this and be managing it appropriately. And remember, you are one day closer to being through this!

Noticed that version 2 of the app was on my phone earlier today and ran out to the car to play with it. It really is so awesome. Already left a 5-star review on the app star noting that I can't live without it, LOL. Seriously though Allen - you knocked it out of the ball park again!

Used the breadcrumb feature from a short drive I just took. Worked flawlessly. Was able to save it, delete the current trip, and pull it back up from the saved listing without any difficulties at all. Am using the app on iPhone 6 running version 8.4, in case this helps to further understand why a few people are having issues with this functionality.

As for you Allen - already responding multiple times on the forum from your hospital bed on post-op day 1. You truly are superman. Regarding the vomiting, it often can be associated with the IV narcotics they are using for pain control. If you are continuing to have issues with it, they can try IV Zofran to help with the vomiting or switch you to a different narcotic. The itching also can come from the narcotic pain medicine they are using. This is no big deal unless it gets too uncomfortable or you begin having more severe symptoms. Of course, your doctor should already know this and be managing it appropriately. And remember, you are one day closer to being through this!

the issue was that tapping on the white info bubble crashed their app in iOS 8.4. Can you duplicate this bug?

the vomiting stopped and the itching is better now. Had a fever this morning, but two tylenols fixed it. Had low blood pressure, but putting me back on the IV fixed it. Had trouble peeing (only drips would come out) and it made my bladder swollen, but a straight catheter let out all the urine stored in the bladder. So I seem to be doing well.

the issue was that tapping on the white info bubble crashed their app in iOS 8.4. Can you duplicate this bug?

If I understand correctly, the white info bubble is the one on the upper left of the map that toggles on/off the info screen at the bottom that displays the trip statistics? If so, I am able to toggle this on and off without any crashing (tested while the car was not being used).

the vomiting stopped and the itching is better now. Had a fever this morning, but two tylenols fixed it. Had low blood pressure, but putting me back on the IV fixed it. Had trouble peeing (only drips would come out) and it made my bladder swollen, but a straight catheter let out all the urine stored in the bladder. So I seem to be doing well.

Good to hear. All these things are not unusual during the early post-operative period, so no need to be concerned.

Great app! One little thing I noticed with camp mode. We tried it the other day when we were at a campground getting a charge and some sleep. When I set it to 68 it ignored my fan speed settings, like it switched everything to auto. It might not seem like a big problem but we like the fan on 8 when we're sleeping for some background noise. It would auto turn it to a low(3-4) setting. Do you know if there's any way around that? Were we could use camp mode and adjust/have control over the fan speed?

Great app! One little thing I noticed with camp mode. We tried it the other day when we were at a campground getting a charge and some sleep. When I set it to 68 it ignored my fan speed settings, like it switched everything to auto. It might not seem like a big problem but we like the fan on 8 when we're sleeping for some background noise. It would auto turn it to a low(3-4) setting. Do you know if there's any way around that? Were we could use camp mode and adjust/have control over the fan speed?

Temperature settings while driving and while turned on remotely are independent of each other. So instead, you should remotely turn on the Camp Mode after the car has shut off (do this by opening and closing the door without sitting in the driver's seat again). And then setting the temperature afterwards. All the buttons above Camp Mode are still working after you set Camp Mode. So setting it to 68 degrees would probably make the fan speed go faster. The problem is that the fan speed is always auto when turned on remotely I think. So the only way to control it is by setting the temperature really low. Also I think getting out of range mode will unlock fan speeds 9-11.

- - - Updated - - -

If I understand correctly, the white info bubble is the one on the upper left of the map that toggles on/off the info screen at the bottom that displays the trip statistics? If so, I am able to toggle this on and off without any crashing (tested while the car was not being used).

No, the info bubble is the bubble that appears when you tap on the red pin. Tapping on that bubble opens more commands such as grabbing the address of the pin and opening google maps/Waze to that location. The purpose was that in the future, I wanted to add all the superchargers/destination chargers in the map so that users can easily get directions to the supercharger that they want using Waze/Google Maps (since I find that they provide better routes than Tesla). And then I just use Tesla to tell me which supercharger I should be going to next on my road trips. One user reported that tapping on that white bubble crashes the app.

Last edited:
Excellent app and amazing work outdoing Tesla's app by so much in such a short time.

One simple request for some day - nitpick really: Could you change kph to km/h? km/h is the standard (SI) unit symbol and every place I've ever been that uses kilometres for distance uses km/h.

And I see the issue you mentioned where the charging current is incorrect when not on a supercharger. When starting charging on my HPWC at home that normally runs at 47A, the app shows the current ramping up to 23A and stopping there, even though the car actually ramps up to 47A. And the max/available current also increases to 23A and stops there - it should always show 47A when plugged into this charging station.

Thanks and best wishes for a continuing recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.