Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually not feeling well enough to work on this app yet. It's been torture for me to walk back and forth in crutches between my house and garage in freezing NY weather while carrying a laptop in my back. I do extensive field testing with my app, and that's what I've been hoping to put off until I can walk normally. But the window of opportunity for working on this app is closing in, because I will not have access to my Tesla starting tomorrow for a while. Therefore, I needed to do all the field testing now, because it's not really known yet how the Summons/HomeLink features work in detail (at least publicly). So I had to figure it out on my own with some trial and error.

Sorry to hear that. I had less serious surgery on a broken leg and two years later I'm still not 100% back to where I was before it all happened, so I can sympathize.

Next version of Remote S should be finished this week if nothing unexpected happens.

That's great to hear! I think I remember you saying in the past that scheduling would be difficult. But is that something that might be coming anytime soon? That's probably the biggest feature I wish could be implemented.

I have no idea where or how Tesla maintains their app, but they certainly seem not to care too much about it. It's a little sad that a single developer can, on a part time basis, and partly while recovering from major surgery, and with far fewer resources than Tesla, create an app that is more functional, easier to use, and better updated than Tesla's official app! I'm glad you've picked up their slack.

Glad you're at least starting to be able to get around some, even if you still have a ways to go!

That's great to hear! I think I remember you saying in the past that scheduling would be difficult. But is that something that might be coming anytime soon? That's probably the biggest feature I wish could be implemented.

I have no idea where or how Tesla maintains their app, but they certainly seem not to care too much about it. It's a little sad that a single developer can, on a part time basis, and partly while recovering from major surgery, and with far fewer resources than Tesla, create an app that is more functional, easier to use, and better updated than Tesla's official app! I'm glad you've picked up their slack.

Glad you're at least starting to be able to get around some, even if you still have a ways to go!

The annoying thing about scheduling when I was working on it, was that Apple was very restrictive on when an app was allowed to run code in the background. I haven't tested iOS 9 yet with scheduling, but I remember that the conditions had to be near perfect for it to work in iOS 8 (phone is charging, and strong cell or wifi signal). Since iOS 9 came out, I'd have to redo field testing to see what the new conditions are for background scheduling to work. Now that I don't have my car with me anymore, that would be difficult to pull off. The next time I see my Tesla might be in late Spring.

Hi Allen

I just purchased your app. Well done... we appreciate your efforts.

I have one request:

When you're looking at the map, tracking a moving vehicle, the map returns to the default zoom with each position update. It would be nice if we could zoom out and it would hold the zoom as the vehicle position changes.

Thanks again!

Hi Allen

I just purchased your app. Well done... we appreciate your efforts.

I have one request:

When you're looking at the map, tracking a moving vehicle, the map returns to the default zoom with each position update. It would be nice if we could zoom out and it would hold the zoom as the vehicle position changes.

Thanks again!
There is a way to zoom out to all the pins on the map by pressing the right most blue button out of the three blue buttons on the top.

The annoying thing about scheduling when I was working on it, was that Apple was very restrictive on when an app was allowed to run code in the background. I haven't tested iOS 9 yet with scheduling, but I remember that the conditions had to be near perfect for it to work in iOS 8 (phone is charging, and strong cell or wifi signal). Since iOS 9 came out, I'd have to redo field testing to see what the new conditions are for background scheduling to work. Now that I don't have my car with me anymore, that would be difficult to pull off. The next time I see my Tesla might be in late Spring.

If you want someone to help with field testing, I'd be glad to help. I'm sure others would be also. Didnt Apple also release a new way for developers to do beta testing with iOS 9? Perhaps not as fast as doing it with your own tesla, but workable in the mean time since that's not an option?

TestFlight. I'm sure there will be many volunteers.

Yup, that's it! No need to do all the testing by yourself while you're recovering from surgery (and without a tesla)!

Even if you were still required to have the phone on Wi-Fi and charging for scheduling to work, it would still not be a useless feature. The most common time I want to use it would be before I go to work, when my phone is sitting on the dock and connected to Wi-Fi.

Hi Allen

There are three features I would pay good money for. Any chance you could make it happen?:

1/ The ability to set up a profile from the app. (My wife keeps leaving it in her profile and it is hard for me to get in to change it!!!) :)
2/ The ability to turn on the heated seats remotely in the same way as we can turn on the heaters
3/ The app sends an alert when the car moves (so that I can get an alert when my wife leaves the shops so that I can get the food on!!) :)

Firstly, are these technically possible and if so are they something you would consider?

Thanks

Hi Allen

There are three features I would pay good money for. Any chance you could make it happen?:

1/ The ability to set up a profile from the app. (My wife keeps leaving it in her profile and it is hard for me to get in to change it!!!) :)
2/ The ability to turn on the heated seats remotely in the same way as we can turn on the heaters
3/ The app sends an alert when the car moves (so that I can get an alert when my wife leaves the shops so that I can get the food on!!) :)

Firstly, are these technically possible and if so are they something you would consider?

Thanks
Only #3 is possible with the API from Tesla (as far as we know today).

Hi Allen,

Sorry to hear that you won't have your car until late spring.
Testing software is my daily job, so if I can assist in doing any testing, please let me know?

I think I may have found a bug with 7.1, although don't know if anyone else had experienced it. When I hit the start climate button, it does properly say that climate control is on and actually does turn on the climate control, as it should. However, as soon as it updates the next time (within a few seconds), it won't show the fan speed and the button goes back from stop climate to start climate. It continues to show the inside and outside temps. I have verified that while climate control seems to have turned off, it is in fact still running properly. The correct state shows up in the official tesla app.

I have tried restarting the app, logging out and back in, and finally deleting and reinstalling the app. After the reinstall, it seemed to be working, but only worked properly once. It's now back to immediately showing "start climate" and not showing fan speed once it refreshes.

Thoughts?

I often experience the same, but I notice that if I wait for another status update cycle or two, the control will become correct again and say Stop Climate.

Allen, I have been following this thread since you started it but just bought the app today. This is an amazing piece of work. I love having so much functionality on the watch, but it is a great app just on the phone. Definitely the best $9.99 I have spent in a long time.

Ditto! Just got it too. Allen, should I have the homelink/Summon option or are you still writing that code?

Thanks again for an awesome app! Elon needs to hire you to update the Tesla app!

Allen, First of all, thanks for a great app. It is the best thing out there.
Two requests:
1. Any chance that at some point you can interface your software tot he amazon echo for voice commands (e.g., while eating breakfast, telling it to turn on heat in my tesla?)
2. I used to use the Tesla Model S desktop app by Trevor Stone, which had a timer/calendar grid in it that I could program for turning on HVAC in the car (i.e., pre-conditioning that worked). Unfortunately, due to something that Tesla did to its servers, that program doesn't work anymore, and it would be great if I could program YOUR app to turn on the heat in my car every morning, M-F at 8:30, for example. Any chance of getting that feature?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.