Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I use summon on my Apple Watch the car begins to move but then aborts abruptly . Is there a particular setup I need to do?
There's also a long explanation for this, but the gist of it is that the Apple Watch is not currently capable of connecting to the websocket server on its own. The current WatchOS doesn't allow it. So instead, the Watch contacts the iPhone and tell the iPhone to do the work. If the iPhone disconnects from Tesla's server, then the Summon stops immediately by Tesla's design. So the next time this happens to you, open the Remote S app and monitor the solid white car next to the Remote S logo. It might give you insight into why the Summon stops abruptly - for example, if the internet connection keeps switching between WiFi and LTE, it'll cause a problem. It's possible that the app isn't allowed to run in the background for your particular device. Perhaps turning on "Background App Refresh" in the settings, would fix it. Or you might be able to get around it by turning off "Continuous Press Required" in your autopark/summon settings inside the car - since it seems that you have a U.S. AP car. If you do fix your issue, please let me know what solved it, so I can inform others if they ever run into this issue and so I could possibly find a way to make it work better.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
When I use summon on my Apple Watch the car begins to move but then aborts abruptly . Is there a particular setup I need to do?
Does the same thing happen with the Tesla App performing the same Summon function? If yes, you may have some Connectivty challenges -- that's what happens more often than not when I use either App, opposed to the "old fashioned" key FOB method that reduces a number of steps in the behind-the-scenes connectivity process. Realize when you use the Watch, it adds more possibile communication issues. While I know it's cool using the Watch for such things -- and I've done it to show off ;) -- I honestly only use my FOB for Summon because of intermittent communication challenges either the Tesla App or Remote S have added to my equation.

...oops, Allen was faster than I was trying to help. See what I mean about above-and-beyond developer support? :)

Allen: thank you - I hadn't realised it was the difference between a socket connection and an HTML message for the two types of interaction.

In my garage, I installed a new access point a few feet from the rhs wing mirror so the car gets a solid and reliable wifi connection. My garage is, however, in the UK so the connection to the Tesla servers may be affected by the 5535 miles (as the crow flies).

When I am back with the car I'll try the latest app to see if I can get the connection to light up more quickly.
Did you resolve your issue?

Allen -- A suggestion: Add an iOS 10 Widget. Thanks for all of your hard work!
iOS 10 Widget is on my todo list. Other things on my list are: background scheduling (I think I figured out a way to get it to work without having to pass your Tesla credential to a non-Tesla server). Complications filled with data. Background data refresh for Apple Watch.

Background app refresh seems to be working more reliably for me for iPhone after the latest round of updates. It's probably because I've been opening the app multiple times a day to work on it. But it's very good at predicting when I'm about to open the app (which is how background app refresh works - it tries to refresh the data silently in the background before you even open the app). One time I opened it and the cached data was no more than a minute old. If this sounds like something you like, turn on Background app refresh in the settings if you haven't done so already.

My plan is to implement this on the Apple Watch as well, so that the data is no more than half an hour old. And of course, if it updates in the background around the clock, this opens up background scheduling features. Then I can finally implement one of the most requested features: A notification when the car is not plugged in at night.

@AllenWong Great work on the app!

Would it be possible in the future to individually control the climate for the driver and passenger? Another app has this functionality and I found it useful. My wife likes the temperature a little higher than me, so when I start my AC remotely before I get to my car, I'd like to maintain the same differential temperatures, rather than have all temperatures set the same. Just a small request, nothing major.

EDIT: Not sure how useful this is. Just tried to start the AC with the other app and the temperature automatically syncs to the same for both driver and passenger.

@AllenWong Great work on the app!

Would it be possible in the future to individually control the climate for the driver and passenger? Another app has this functionality and I found it useful. My wife likes the temperature a little higher than me, so when I start my AC remotely before I get to my car, I'd like to maintain the same differential temperatures, rather than have all temperatures set the same. Just a small request, nothing major.

EDIT: Not sure how useful this is. Just tried to start the AC with the other app and the temperature automatically syncs to the same for both driver and passenger.
It's already possible in both the iPhone app and Watch app. In the Watch app, there's a button for it in the 3rd page. In the iPhone app, it's a secret menu. Tap on the Charge Limit % located on the top-right, and it'll open up the menu to set the Driver and Passenger temperatures separately. Make sure that Sync Temp is turned off in the car before you try changing the temperature individually or it'll always end up syncing with the driver's temperature. If you have a pano roof, there's also a secret menu for setting the roof graphically or by percentage. Tap on the temperature number on the top-right where you change the temperature to access it.

Reactions: Fiver
It's already possible in both the iPhone app and Watch app. In the Watch app, there's a button for it in the 3rd page. In the iPhone app, it's a secret menu. Tap on the Charge Limit % located on the top-right, and it'll open up the menu to set the Driver and Passenger temperatures separately. Make sure that Sync Temp is turned off in the car before you try changing the temperature individually or it'll always end up syncing with the driver's temperature. If you have a pano roof, there's also a secret menu for setting the roof graphically or by percentage. Tap on the temperature number on the top-right where you change the temperature to access it.

This is AWESOME! Thanks Allen. Never knew that this was possible with your app. Will get used often.

Secret menus and Easter eggs? You've really been ingesting the Tesla spirit, haven't you? :)

Click on the "Remote S" "logo in center of screen to goto the website. Found this gem! Camper Mode.

Attachments

• IMG_2770.PNG
    IMG_2770.PNG
    492.7 KB · Views: 72
@AllenWong just wanted to check that Remote S has complete compatibility with 8.0 before I buy the app?
I have had no compatibility problems with Remote S through 15 different firmware releases 7.0 through 8.0 2.36.108 and now 2.38.19.

The only hiccup I've had was when Tesla made unexpected changes to their API, e.g. Homelink at one point, where it took some time for developers to work out changes to make that small part of the App functional again. As discussed up-thread, the exposure is not because of anything App developers like Allen do or don't do, but rather that all of them are interfacing via an unofficial API into Tesla's proprietary interface. EVERY non-Tesla App has the same possible exposure in the past and future using something that isn't officially made available and supported by the mfgr. Personally, I'll take that small risk. In the larger scheme of things, I don't even see the less than $10 cost of an App like Remote S and the huge benefit that provides to my Tesla ownership, compared to the $100K my MS cost. Go for it!

• Love
Reactions: AllenWong and msnow
Could you document those "secret" menus or options?
There used to be a wiki guide on here that said all the features and instructions on how to use the app on this website. I guess someone deleted it. But the hidden buttons are found in the release notes for each major version upgrade. And even the minor updates will still have the major updates listed below it. For the majority of hidden buttons, it's found under the 3.0 release notes. If you go to the app page, and click on Version History, you can read it. I'm not going to paste it here, in case someone would rather discover the easter eggs on their own - and also because it's a very long block of text.

@AllenWong just wanted to check that Remote S has complete compatibility with 8.0 before I buy the app?
Car's firmware usually has no impact on the Tesla API and therefore doesn't have an impact on Remote S. There were times when I didn't update my car's firmware, and the API still changed. So my belief is that the API works independently from your car's firmware. It's also why everyone's HomeLink/Summon button stopped working at the same time this summer, even though everyone was on different firmware versions. So update your car's firmware without being worried. I also fixed HomeLink/Summon as soon as I got my car back from the body shop after it got into an accident at the end of June. If you plan on buying another 3rd party Tesla app, check to see when the last time it was updated. If it wasn't updated after July 2016, HomeLink/Summon would not work in that app.

Status
Not open for further replies.