Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removal of Model Type

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a weird question. I was at the crocodile restaurant near Australia Zoo last night. There were three Teslas there but it seemed like none of them had their model number on the back.

Some also had the dual motor on them but I have seen this for sale on Aliexpress.

Without a comparison it was hard to tell if these were model Y or 3.

So to the question, why do people remove the model off the car?

If I chose to do so, is it an easy process?

Neither M3 nor MY have badges on the back identifying the model like a MX does. They’ll have either nothing (Standard Range or badge removed), Dual Motor, or Dual Motor with a red underline (Performance). The best way to tell a 3 from a Y is to look under the rear bumper. The MY has a fascia where the tow hitch would be behind.

Reactions: *Sparkles*
It's a bit ridiculous IMHO that they aren't badged.
My issue is mainly from a safety perspective. A document had to be created so that first responders could identify which Tesla was so that they can then know where the safe cut points, battery disconnection etc are. Just friggin' put a badge on it!
First responders are supposed to look at the VIN sticker on dash, the shape of the door handles etc. I think they have better things to do!

It's a bit ridiculous IMHO that they aren't badged.
My issue is mainly from a safety perspective. A document had to be created so that first responders could identify which Tesla was so that they can then know where the safe cut points, battery disconnection etc are. Just friggin' put a badge on it!
First responders are supposed to look at the VIN sticker on dash, the shape of the door handles etc. I think they have better things to do!

I think the model 3 cut points and diconnects are not variant dependent. All cars sold in Aust have to recieve design approval, so I’m sure the first responders are fine with it.