Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing FSD before taking delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the Plaid payment option available through the Tesla finance or ??
Plaid is in the part where it says make your final payment. It is just a way that they pull the money from your checking or savings account (ach payment). Just like a regular bill pay or whatever you have with your bank except it is kind of in the reverse. You authorize Tesla to pull funds from your bank as opposed to you sending funds to them. Hope that makes sense.

Just an fyi, I understand that you have to fight harder to get the costs of FSD back from your insurer if your car is totaled and you didn't buy FSD with the car. YMMV of course.
I asked my insurance company about this! I was concerned about that as well. They assured me that I was covered. But a very good point that each person should check and ask their insurance company

Reactions: drtimhill
What is odd is that FSD does not seem to be adding nearly the amount to the cars in the used market that it should. FSD should not depreciate like the mechanical parts of the car. The same people willing to pay $12K to add FSD to their new car should also be willing to pay that to add it to a used car (as they can do if it doesn't come with FSD.) Or at the very least, pay what fraction of the FSD price matches the discount on the car even though it doesn't wear out like the car does.

But from what I have heard, they don't. FSD does transfer in private sales. If you sell back to Tesla (trade-in) they give you nothing for the FSD and just wipe it from the car, so don't trade-in if you have FSD. You'll get some bump but a small one, it seems.

If this were not true, you could have less fear of buying it, knowing you would get the money back on resale.

In general, the best plan is not to buy FSD and just put the same money into TSLA. If Tesla delivers on FSD, TSLA stock will go up *much* more than the cost of FSD will go up. If Tesla does not deliver, the stock may go down a bit, but not to zero, which is what your FSD is worth if they don't deliver. Well, not quite zero, you will get smart summon.

What is odd is that FSD does not seem to be adding nearly the amount to the cars in the used market that it should. FSD should not depreciate like the mechanical parts of the car. The same people willing to pay $12K to add FSD to their new car should also be willing to pay that to add it to a used car (as they can do if it doesn't come with FSD.) Or at the very least, pay what fraction of the FSD price matches the discount on the car even though it doesn't wear out like the car does.

But from what I have heard, they don't. FSD does transfer in private sales. If you sell back to Tesla (trade-in) they give you nothing for the FSD and just wipe it from the car, so don't trade-in if you have FSD. You'll get some bump but a small one, it seems.

If this were not true, you could have less fear of buying it, knowing you would get the money back on resale.

In general, the best plan is not to buy FSD and just put the same money into TSLA. If Tesla delivers on FSD, TSLA stock will go up *much* more than the cost of FSD will go up. If Tesla does not deliver, the stock may go down a bit, but not to zero, which is what your FSD is worth if they don't deliver. Well, not quite zero, you will get smart summon.
Depends on why you are buying it. I am not buying fsd so that in the future I will get a return on my investment. I am buying fsd because I want the feature on my car now and in the future when it is even better than it is now. That is the investment I am making. That I buy it now before the price goes up even more.

Probably related to perceived value given the uncertainty about FSD actually shipping, or when, or with what abilities. If/when FSD comes out of beta (or goes into a non-closed beta) I suspect things will change.

Depends on why you are buying it. I am not buying fsd so that in the future I will get a return on my investment. I am buying fsd because I want the feature on my car now and in the future when it is even better than it is now. That is the investment I am making. That I buy it now before the price goes up even more.
ONLY way I would ever pay for the full price of FSD is if I was running some YT channel (or other social media platform) where I could monetize the FSD buy. Otherwise, completely not worth 10k/12k/15k or whatever crazy price Elon charges for a "beta" product.

IF Tesla offered an option to transfer FSD to new cars (for a small fee, let's say $1-2k) that would make buying FSD much more appealing.

Well you’re right in that FSD doesn’t degrade like a mechanical part of the car. But since the entire car DOES wear out and FSD is useless without a Tesla it does make sense that it depreciates. Look at it this way, you buy a new Tesla with FSD for 12k and let’s say your car lasts 200k miles. You paid 12k for 200k miles driven with FSD. If you buy a used car with 100k miles already on it and FSD and the car only last 200k miles well you’re only getting 100k miles of FSD in that car’s lifetime as the new owner, so why would you want to pay 12k still for it? I’d imagine for a lot of owners in this situation buying used it’d make more sense to just get the monthly subscription to FSD rather than paying a 12k premium on their used car price.

Well you’re right in that FSD doesn’t degrade like a mechanical part of the car. But since the entire car DOES wear out and FSD is useless without a Tesla it does make sense that it depreciates. Look at it this way, you buy a new Tesla with FSD for 12k and let’s say your car lasts 200k miles. You paid 12k for 200k miles driven with FSD. If you buy a used car with 100k miles already on it and FSD and the car only last 200k miles well you’re only getting 100k miles of FSD in that car’s lifetime as the new owner, so why would you want to pay 12k still for it? I’d imagine for a lot of owners in this situation buying used it’d make more sense to just get the monthly subscription to FSD rather than paying a 12k premium on their used car price.
Perhaps. But it depreciates a LOT. People buying new Teslas are paying $12K (soon $15K) to get it. Some people with older Teslas are paying that much to add it to their car from Tesla. Some people buying used Teslas from Tesla are paying that price.

Yet in the public used Tesla market, many people report paying ZERO to get it. Which is to say you can go out in the used market and price cars with it and without it and find no difference. That is the thing that does not make sense. It may be due to the blue book companies not knowing how to value it.