Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing FSD before taking delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally had FSD on my early MYLR November order for $10k. I was able to remove it at the end of December with no change to the price of the vehicle. I decided to remove it for a bunch of reasons;

1 FSD doesn't raise trade in value
If you mean trade-in to Tesla, then are you surprised? Tesla can add/remove FSD from a car after trade-in at zero cost to themselves. However, selling an FSD car privately is a different matter entirely, and to some buyers FSD does add value (though likely much more after it is generally available).

Any updates on this?? I just spoke to a rep on the phone who acknowledged that you can finesse the system this way. He said you can remove FSD up until before your delivery date. So the key is to get a VIN and then remove it. Seems like a risky 12k mistake if he is incorrect. Anyone have additional insight?

Basic autopilot gives you what you’ll use 99% of the time. For the other 1% buy the subscription for the month.
i plan to get the subscription for the month i might use it. I watched a youtube channel that saying for the $12000 FSD, and if the subscription price stays at $200, it will take 60 months to break even. I do not believe i will be using the FSD on daily basis.

Reactions: BGOwner
They added a message that removing FSD will cause your order to be delayed haha

Unsure if it’s just there to deter people from doing it or if they’ll seriously pass your car over to someone else. We’ll have to wait and see how they handle orders from people who do this in the next couple of weeks
Interesting, yeah I’ll be curious to see what this does.

I didn't order FSD when I placed my order, but added it last weekend. I think the majority of the negative aspects will be fixed relatively soon (phantom braking, in particular). I'm not sure if they will get it to a point of full autonomy, but I bought my current car in July 2012, and I expect to be driving the MY for as long or longer. Anyone leasing or that normally trades up in 3-5 years, it likely doesn't make much sense to buy it, unless $10-12k isn't much to you.

Considering how much has been improved in the last six months or so, a whole lot can be done in four or five years. I would be pretty good if they get it to a point where I can get in and tell it to take me to an address and it can do it with no interventions. I don't need to be able to do my taxes behind the wheel; I'm fine to still pay attention and take over if needed. Once they get it to that point, it will likely cost more, so this is just a gamble on future development, with the loss being that you didn't fully get what you paid for, but got a handful of features that you wouldn't have otherwise. If they get there in five years, I'll have five more years or more of solid FSD.

Also, they have said that they will upgrade, as needed, with people that have FSD, haven't they? Like, if they need new hardware, don't they cover that? Seems like having FSD purchased also future-proofs much better.

I didn't order FSD when I placed my order, but added it last weekend. I think the majority of the negative aspects will be fixed relatively soon (phantom braking, in particular). I'm not sure if they will get it to a point of full autonomy, but I bought my current car in July 2012, and I expect to be driving the MY for as long or longer. Anyone leasing or that normally trades up in 3-5 years, it likely doesn't make much sense to buy it, unless $10-12k isn't much to you.

Considering how much has been improved in the last six months or so, a whole lot can be done in four or five years. I would be pretty good if they get it to a point where I can get in and tell it to take me to an address and it can do it with no interventions. I don't need to be able to do my taxes behind the wheel; I'm fine to still pay attention and take over if needed. Once they get it to that point, it will likely cost more, so this is just a gamble on future development, with the loss being that you didn't fully get what you paid for, but got a handful of features that you wouldn't have otherwise. If they get there in five years, I'll have five more years or more of solid FSD.

Also, they have said that they will upgrade, as needed, with people that have FSD, haven't they? Like, if they need new hardware, don't they cover that? Seems like having FSD purchased also future-proofs much better.
We added FSD because we feel it will be more advanced in a couple of years and worth more. If your just looking at the math, and assuming the sub price stays at $200 a month for sub and 12k for buy, then five years would be the break even point.

However, we belive that the price will continue to go up as the feature set is enhanced. So I think even if we only keep the car for say 3 years. In three years the price of FSD is 15-20k and no doubt the capabilities will be much better in that time, then it’s a good investment.

The navigate on AP and auto lane change will be the features we use most with FSD but if you have it in your budget it’s probably a good investment unless you plan to sell in a year or so.

They added a message that removing FSD will cause your order to be delayed haha

Unsure if it’s just there to deter people from doing it or if they’ll seriously pass your car over to someone else. We’ll have to wait and see how they handle orders from people who do this in the next couple of weeks

In 1 day, it’s unlikely they have an automated mechanism in place to punish people for add/remove FSD. I’m guessing this is just a threat for now, but after EOQ, they probably will.

Yeah. Agreed. Seems unlikely they’ll do anything like that for the time being. Guess we’ll see.
I disagree, it shouldn't be too hard to have removing it force a recalculation of EDD. It may be more problematic on orders with VIN already assigned, but auto remove VIN and do recalculation. I think it's a good thing to do to stop people trying to game the system

We added FSD because we feel it will be more advanced in a couple of years and worth more. If your just looking at the math, and assuming the sub price stays at $200 a month for sub and 12k for buy, then five years would be the break even point.

However, we belive that the price will continue to go up as the feature set is enhanced. So I think even if we only keep the car for say 3 years. In three years the price of FSD is 15-20k and no doubt the capabilities will be much better in that time, then it’s a good investment.

The navigate on AP and auto lane change will be the features we use most with FSD but if you have it in your budget it’s probably a good investment unless you plan to sell in a year or so.
Paying more money for a feature on a depreciating, mass production car has *never* been an investment.