Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing FSD Pre-Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I called my SA today asking if removing FSD would have any effect on price/delivery date. Since I ordered before the price changes, he said removing FSD from my order would change my vehicle to the current price. He also said that removing FSD could change my delivery date.

Ouch. SA has you by the short and curly hairs. I'd escalate - it's worth $10k to me. And I'd even forgo the $500 / $1000. FSD is simply not worth it.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
FWIW I called my SA today asking if removing FSD would have any effect on price/delivery date. Since I ordered before the price changes, he said removing FSD from my order would change my vehicle to the current price. He also said that removing FSD could change my delivery date.
I removed FSD 2 weeks after I ordered and it did nothing to my delivery date. Even my SA said it wouldn't.

I removed FSD 2 weeks after I ordered and it did nothing to my delivery date. Even my SA said it wouldn't.
I called a different sales center than where I'm picking up spoke with a different sales guy and this guy was more reassuring that as long as there's a "remove fsd button" and no other options to change hardware configs, it shouldn't change EDD but could possibly change price. I went ahead and just removed FSD and it didn't change my price! still locked at 50490 thankfully. Can't see how / if it changed my date since the site is kinda down. I'm surprised I was even able to get through and remove it lol. 10k back that i can put towards ppf now!

10k back that i can put towards ppf now!

And Acceleration Boost if you're getting the LR.

Arguably the most studied non-Tesla resource on all things Tesla firmware and FSD is on twitter as @greentheonly. If you're not familiar, they reverse engineer every release and find Easter eggs + hints of things to come, deconstructed HW3, etc. Anyhow, here's what they said this week:

cha9IuF.png

Worse is this piece from Canada's Globe and Mail, which succinctly pulled various proof points highlighting why FSD is a pipe dream.

And Acceleration Boost if you're getting the LR.

Arguably the most studied non-Tesla resource on all things Tesla firmware and FSD is on twitter as @greentheonly. If you're not familiar, they reverse engineer every release and find Easter eggs + hints of things to come, deconstructed HW3, etc. Anyhow, here's what they said this week:

cha9IuF.png

Worse is this piece from Canada's Globe and Mail, which succinctly pulled various proof points highlighting why FSD is a pipe dream.
I got suckered into adding it in bc I was under the impression that it'll be worth it later down the road and that the subscription would end up being more expensive. I realized that statement really only held true assuming Elon time wasn't a thing lol. Performance boost, on the other hand, definitely worth

I got suckered into adding it in bc I was under the impression that it'll be worth it later down the road and that the subscription would end up being more expensive. I realized that statement really only held true assuming Elon time wasn't a thing lol. Performance boost, on the other hand, definitely worth

Me too. 3x. Almost did it again. Really glad I didn't - autopilot is great and I don't miss "FSD."

I called a different sales center than where I'm picking up spoke with a different sales guy and this guy was more reassuring that as long as there's a "remove fsd button" and no other options to change hardware configs, it shouldn't change EDD but could possibly change price. I went ahead and just removed FSD and it didn't change my price! still locked at 50490 thankfully. Can't see how / if it changed my date since the site is kinda down. I'm surprised I was even able to get through and remove it lol. 10k back that i can put towards ppf now!

Thanks to your experience, I pulled the trigger on removing FSD and can confirm that what you say is correct. The price stays the same as before, but now FSD is gone and I have 8000 dollars back!

so when I called my SA and also customer support they said that I have to accept new price 500 increase when I remove FSD.
How you guys were able to remove it without price increase?
The SA/customer support told me the same thing, but I'm pretty sure they don't know anything. Once you put in all your information and are eligible to be matched to VIN, there should be a dedicated button that says Remove Full Self Driving. This is the option that I did to keep the same price. This is different from "edit your design", which would modify your price.

Reactions: bhzmark
The SA/customer support told me the same thing, but I'm pretty sure they don't know anything. Once you put in all your information and are eligible to be matched to VIN, there should be a dedicated button that says Remove Full Self Driving. This is the option that I did to keep the same price. This is different from "edit your design", which would modify your price.
Can definitely confirm that they don't know anything. But to echo what the above guy said: as long as you use the dedicated button that specifically says "Remove Full Self Driving" then you would be good. I would be hesitant to do it if you still see anything that gives you the option to edit your configuration in terms of the actual car hardware.

I did not have that option because I did not complete the steps for the loan, if I selected cash maybe that option would show up to remove it without increase but at least they could say that I can remove it later or something. I ordered April 18 and removed FSD on April 25 with 500$ increase. I had Tesla 3 lr with FSD 2019 where I paid 5000$ for it back in April 2019 but now I really think that this price of 10k is ridiculous and looking at the sheet almost no one is buying FSD. I predict that they are increasing price week over week and that they will give enhanced autopilot for free and probably cut the price for FSD street driving etc once released

If you make any changes your configuration will adjust to the current pricing. The sales agreement is re-written when you make any changes.

Maybe call your SA and see if they can do it on the back-end?

For me I would never include FSD with the purchase only because it affects car registration fees (at least here in CA). I would add it after sale to avoid that.

Edit: Re-reading your post, it looks like it's allowing you to extract and remove just the FSD? It looks like that may not be the same a reconfiguration then.
When I ordered my RWD Jan 2020 I was told I could remove FSD when notified of delivery and anytime up to 3 days before and maintain original pricing of everything else. In fact I was told to include FSD then to lock in a lower price. It’s only software. It is trivial to change.

To keep original FSD pricing when moving from RWD to AWD I had to have that done by a special rep.

Do not believe any SA who tells you yo make the changes online. Call this number and tell them what you want to do, if you get Hilary she will make sure it is done, if you get on we ov the guts keep on top of it. 😂510-249-3100

I too am considering removing FSD given the probability of being real in the next few years.

Last edited:
Ouch. SA has you by the short and curly hairs. I'd escalate - it's worth $10k to me. And I'd even forgo the $500 / $1000. FSD is simply not worth it.humm
I imagine it'd be fine.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to remove FSD?
Do you think Elon's "Download Button" isn't going to become a thing?
It won’t be real FSD for years. I want my car to drop me at one hiking site and pick me up at the another😎

Reactions: imola.zhp
Reasons for not doing FSD before delivery are legion.

Financial:
1) Extreme depreciation at resale
2) Subscription option imminient
3) Sales tax / registration aspect (varies between states)
4) Tesla's pattern of discounting / promotions / trials timed with every major release - just try before you buy
5) Insurance doesn't cover it for replacement.

Functional:
1) Limited utility vs. Autopilot
2) Requires attentiveness, not less - like supervising a teenager
3) Summon mode will lead to a "run out to the car because it's stuck" embarrassing moment
4) Tesla's constantly changing position on the capabilities and techniques (vision vs sonar) of FSD creates uncertainty about realization of the promise.

The only usable feature is Autopark, and even that is spotty (fails to recognize a parking spot 30-40% of the time). That and "gee, let's fund FUTURE FSD capabilities" are the only arguments I can see for paying the extra $10k.

Shame that Autopark is included in many downmarket vehicles for a fraction of the cost.

Funding the future is a valid reason for purchasing FSD, and if you’ve got the loot, and that’s what you want to do, then do it.

I wish Tesla would offer Autopark and Navigate on Autopilot as separate payable upgrade features. I’d drop $500 on Autopark and $2000 on Navigate on Autopilot. $10K USD for those, plus Navigate on City Streets, are not worth it, for me.

Those last words (“for me”) are important. Everyone’s value for money is different, so do what’s right for you.

I removed FSD after I got a VIN.

I selected that button that says Remove Full Self Driving and it was removed with no price penalty. I talked to my SA just before that and he said he could remove it too without any negative impact to my order.

The in inventory car I purchased had FSD on it. I did not want it and was worried that they removing it would impact the delivery and/or my price.

I was surprised it did not impact either.