Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing number plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people doing to ensure it stays firmly affixed due to prior products (ceramic, was etc) being applied? Or is that not seemed to be a problem? I know its early days, but how fade resistant is it likely to be? I normally end up replacing my plates a couple of times due to this over the life of the vehicle. Any hints that the plate cannot be removed and replaced?

I cleaned the surface with meths and stuck it on. Actually used a heat gun to soften the vinyl as it was a cold evening when I was doing it but I think not really necessary. Given the surface area I don’t think it’s a problem. I expect a heat gun would help future removal if really required.

Reactions: MrBadger
What are people doing to ensure it stays firmly affixed due to prior products (ceramic, was etc) being applied? Or is that not seemed to be a problem? I know its early days, but how fade resistant is it likely to be? I normally end up replacing my plates a couple of times due to this over the life of the vehicle. Any hints that the plate cannot be removed and replaced?
I stuck plates to a ceramic coated car and they didn’t move for a year. Took some effort to get them off too.

Reactions: MrBadger
That’s strange. Did you fit it in the same position as the original plate? Is it the standard typeface and spacing, or a “show plate”?

I’ve had vinyl plates on for about six months, and the local Sainsbury’s ANPR, and the one at the Channel Tunnel check-in, both recognised it without any problem.

Standard location, font, size and spacing. ANPR just doesn’t seem to like it. Wonder if it’s looking for an obvious border or outline and the white plate on white car is confusing it.
That might well be the reason. Mine have no border but it’s on a red car.

You could try applying a temporary border using a thin strip of black PVC insulating tape, just to see if ANPR then works.

I wish someone could do a video instruction of how to do it for the rear number plate. I hate it as it rattles easily.
The rear number plate is no different to the front. Unclip the old number plate. Undo 2, one way bolts/screws and stick your new plates on using a bit of washing up liquid and water to position.

Genuinely I’m no expert but it took me 5-10 mins a plate.

Reactions: Roy W.
I've got a stick on plate for the front but went for your rear option.

Just a heads up for those with a DIY deficiency like me. I drilled from back to front as I wanted to use the plate holder as a guide and drill through the screw holes. The first hole made quite a significant bubble on the front of the plate as I was holding the plate off the ground. The second hole I drilled with the front of the plate pressed into the grass and the bubble was small enough to be covered by the screw.

I think in hindsight the best option is to drill front to back. But I was lazy and didn't want to measure and mark up the drilling points on the front. Nor did I think of all the better ways at the time. Don't be like me.

EB074B9C-48EC-484B-A9BF-561E681E9055.jpeg

I did my rear plate yesterday (replaced with a vinyl plate).

My original holder is different to that shown in the video above. My plate was held in with just the bottom piece - not connected to the side pieces shown above. Behind that - the piece actually screwed onto the car - that was the same as above.

Reactions: DaddyCool