Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing sap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Made the awesome mistake of parking near an oleander bush a few days ago, which drenched the front corner of my hood and quarter panel in micro droplets of sap.

Washed today with some microfiber towels and Optimum No Rinse, which removed the bulk of the sap itself but the paint still looks like the surface of Mars. :(

Now what? Some sort of harsher wash? Polish? Any advice appreciated.

FA0D7800-CFE2-4B5F-91E8-7EADF964A026.jpeg

It might work or it might not, but I use those wet baby wipes/cleaners. You know, the ones you use to clean their faces (sorry, not sure how they're called in the US) When I'm on holiday in Spain I use them all the time to remove the sap/resin that comes from pine trees. Works like a charm and at least they're not harmful to your paint.

Attachments

• 799294.gif
    799294.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I’ve not used this on Tesla paint but ICE vehicles have to withstand gasoline drips from fill up. I’ve used gasoline in a pinch to remove sap or bugs. Works pretty much the same as mineral spirits. Try on inconspicuous spot first. It will remove any wax or possible other protection but has never harmed clear coat for me.

Not sure if goo gone will work or some bug remover on sap.

Reactions: outdoors
Information from Xpel on cleaning PPF as side note.

Vendor - How To Clean Clear Bra

- You can use acetone and even lacquer thinner to clean things off of the paint. Yes, you read that right. For removal of stubborn stains, you may use those harsh chemicals on a microfiber towel to clean the XPEL PPF. Just be sure not to let those chemicals touch any non protected surface, and be sure not to let it sit on the PPF for too long. We have seen these items used to clean off spray paint, paint transfer, tree sap, tar stains, and other stubborn items.

Information from Xpel on cleaning PPF as side note.

Vendor - How To Clean Clear Bra

- You can use acetone and even lacquer thinner to clean things off of the paint. Yes, you read that right. For removal of stubborn stains, you may use those harsh chemicals on a microfiber towel to clean the XPEL PPF. Just be sure not to let those chemicals touch any non protected surface, and be sure not to let it sit on the PPF for too long. We have seen these items used to clean off spray paint, paint transfer, tree sap, tar stains, and other stubborn items.

I don’t trust acetone near a car or many things. XPEL might say it’s fine. But there are safer chemicals to use that will dissolve sap. If you get Acetone on any plastic or rubber it will start to dissolve that. Main ingredient in many paint removers is acetone. You could let mineral spirits dry on most paints and it would not hurt it.

I don’t trust acetone near a car or many things. XPEL might say it’s fine. But there are safer chemicals to use that will dissolve sap. If you get Acetone on any plastic or rubber it will start to dissolve that. Main ingredient in many paint removers is acetone. You could let mineral spirits dry on most paints and it would not hurt it.

The statement Xpel uses is a little contradictory. They use the word paint, then say don't let it get on any unprotected surfaces. Which I would assume is paint without Xpel or types of plastics. I have used it on PPF with the end of Q-tip and a wipe with a microfiber. Followed up with rinse. 75k later still looks like new.