Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renter seeking charging for upcoming Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a place to rent, and I've been hitting brick wall with this. Several new, 'upscale' 'eco' apartments and townhouse communities I've looked at said it can't be done.

Moving on to private homes, I'm still unable to convince anyone. I think my pitch is off.

The common thread in the responses is:

1) surprise. A moment of silence followed by "you're the first person who's ever asked".
2) blanket refusal - 'owner not interested'
or
3) No, there's no charger. After I explain some, still no.

I explain that any modern electrical system can handle this.
That the best is the same outlet used for a hot tub
I explain that I'll pay for any installation needed.

But - no interest. You'd think that a renter with an interest in EVs is automatically more desirable (sort of gives you an upscale and non-meth-using aura), but not so.

I think my explanation is off. The main piece of info I'm lacking as far as my own understanding is: does an electrician have to check the electrical system? And what exactly does he need to check? What does installation of that outlet require? In which circumstances, if any, is this not doable? I've never owned a home and I'm not very savvy about this.

Help me say the right words. Thanks!
Make it seem like no big deal. Use the words:
"Is it OK if I get an extra power outlet in the garage? I'm thinking about getting an electric car."

If you call it an outlet they'll think it's no biggie, and that's technically all the charger is.
I've installed two, both a 3 phase and an old single phase. They are basically just a giant adapter, with a bit of smarts inside.

I'm not American so not sure exactly what the tenant/landlord relationship is there, but if it's anything like Australia the landlord really doesn't care as much as you might think, especially if it's an investment property. So long as the rent keeps rolling in and they don't have to fix anything they'll be happy campers. Obviously if it's the old family home and they are renting it out for a few years that would be different.

A house would be best, and remember your installation will be cheaper if the garage is close to the meter box.

I'm surprised that in four pages nobody has mentioned the obvious point... M3 SR can't charge with more than 32A. And if memory serves me LR caps out at 48A (there was some confusion because the press kit cited charge times for 40A, but there were some reports later than the charger supports somewhat higher current than that).

And really, how much do you drive per day? Because 120V 15A is something like 7 miles per hour of charging. I know faster charging would be nice, but is it really that important?

Nice catch!

I'm not getting it. To me that reads like "Ale bonfires" or "Ale burns" (Öl = ale, "Brennur" = bonfires, he/she/it/you burn(s)).

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Because 120V 15A is something like 7 miles per hour of charging. I know faster charging would be nice, but is it really that important?
This is not correct. From the Tesla charging page.
The NEMA 5-15 Adapter is a 110/120 volt, 15 amp circuit breaker. Maximum 12 amp operating current. Estimated recharge speed of 3 miles of range per hour of charge.
Model S/X NEMA Adapter

Should be faster for the 3, but probably not 7mph...

The NEMA 14-50 adapter enables a recharge rate of about 25 miles per hour for Model S or Model X. Technical specifications: compatible with Tesla Mobile Connector, requires 50 amp circuit breaker, provides 40 amps to a Tesla (US), voltage range: 208-250. Installation guide for NEMA 14-50 outlet.

We know the LR Model 3 gets 37mph at 240 volt 40 amps, so the 3mph for the Model S/X would be 3*37/25 = 4.4 mph for the 3. Bump that up to a 120 volt 20 amp outlet and that'd be 4*37/25 = 5.9 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
this is not correct, 120 v 15 A will get you between 2 and 4 miles per hour depending on the circuit and your wiring

Model 3 SR gets 30 miles per hour on 240V 32A according to the Model 3 Press Kit, from which all of these articles get their info. 30 * (15 / 32) * (120 / 240) ~= 7. That's assuming that your voltage is actually 120V (average is a touch less) and that you can actually draw 15A. This generally requires bathroom, garage or kitchen outlets; "15A" sockets generally don't allow for more than 12A sustained (80% limitation), but kitchen, bathroom and garage outlets are generally on 20A breakers which allow for 16A sustained. Check your breaker box if you want to be sure.

Wiring is much simpler over here. A 10A socket is actually rated for 10A continuous. All home wiring is single phase and the same voltage (nominal 230V). Etc.

Last edited:
I suspect the difference between the 5.9 I calculated for the 20amp outlet, and the 7 you calculated, are due to the overhead of the charger itself.

I don't follow your calculation. Mine includes the charger because the Tesla press kit includes the charger - that's miles range per hour charging, straight from the horse's mouth, simply linearly scaled for current and voltage.

The reason that the S/X adapter is lower is because A) S and X are bigger energy consumers, particularly the X, and B) they're talking about only drawing at 12A, but most kitchen, bathroom and garage sockets allow up to 16A continuous (I chose 15A to account for an assumed undervoltage)

Model 3 LR comes in at slightly slower charging than Model 3 SR, as would be expected. Its not a major difference, 7,03 mph vs. 6,94 mph.

I looked at the mph number for the S/X on the 240 volt connector as the starting point:
The NEMA 14-50 adapter enables a recharge rate of about 25 miles per hour for Model S or Model X. Technical specifications: compatible with Tesla Mobile Connector, requires 50 amp circuit breaker, provides 40 amps to a Tesla (US), voltage range: 208-250. Installation guide for NEMA 14-50 outlet.

which gives me the 37/25 part of the equation.

Then the mph numbers for the 120 volt connectors:
The NEMA 5-15 Adapter is a 110/120 volt, 15 amp circuit breaker. Maximum 12 amp operating current. Estimated recharge speed of 3 miles of range per hour of charge.

The NEMA 5-20 Adapter is a 110/120 volt, 20 amp circuit breaker. Maximum 16 amp operating current. Estimated recharge speed of 3-4 miles of range per hour of charge.

So the 15 amp would be:
3 * 37/25 = 4.4mph

while the 20 amp would be:
4 * 37/25 = 5.9mph

I looked at the mph number for the S/X on the 240 volt connector as the starting point:

The S/X 240V connector doesn't even come into play. Tesla explicitly says in the press kit how fast the Model 3 charges on 240V/32A. There's no ambiguity.

If you want the answer to why you're coming in with low numbers, it's because that's an adapter for a NEMA 14-30 but you can't actually draw 30 amps from a 14-30 continuously, the max is 24A because of the 80% rule. So the M3 Press Kit's figure of 30mi @ 240V/32A represents 32/24=133% as much power relative to the NEMA 14-30 adapter. The NEMA 14-50 can likewise provide no more than 40A continuous, meaning the M3 example is for 80% as much power. Versus the 5-15 adapter, they cite 12A, so the M3 press kit figure is 32/12=266% the current, and at double the voltage, 533% the power.

If we scale the figures on that page by these percents, we find that the "S/X" (which don't actually get the same range per hour, but we'll ignore that) get a nominal 133%*16=21,3mi, 80%*25=20mi, and 16mi, respectively. The press kit's citing M3 as getting 30 miles at 240V/32A corresponds well to the efficiency difference between M3 and MS / MX.

In the latter case, it comes in a bit under the efficiency difference, and I think I can guess why - at such low powers, the fraction of the energy taken up by parasitic draw becomes more significant. But since they're charging at 12A, when you can actually charge at 16A from kitchen/bathroom/garage sockets, the fraction of energy taken up by parasitic draw will be reduced. On the other hand, I was only crediting 15A draw, when technically you're perfectly fine to draw 16A.

Maybe assuming 5.5 - 6mph would be better due to parasitic losses at low charge powers.

Last edited:
The S/X 240V 40amp rate gives us something to compare directly with the LR 3's 240V rate. I could have used the base 3's 32amp limit, but I don't see how many mph 32amp would add to the S/X.

No major thing though, these are all guestimates until actual results are published.

Model 3 SR gets 30 miles per hour on 240V 32A according to the Model 3 Press Kit, from which all of these articles get their info. 30 * (15 / 32) * (120 / 240) ~= 7. That's assuming that your voltage is actually 120V (average is a touch less) and that you can actually draw 15A. This generally requires bathroom, garage or kitchen outlets; "15A" sockets generally don't allow for more than 12A sustained (80% limitation), but kitchen, bathroom and garage outlets are generally on 20A breakers which allow for 16A sustained. Check your breaker box if you want to be sure.

Wiring is much simpler over here. A 10A socket is actually rated for 10A continuous. All home wiring is single phase and the same voltage (nominal 230V). Etc.
whatever, my reality is that on my model s when plugged into a 110/120 US outlet will get between 2 and 4 miles of range added per hour.

whatever, my reality is that on my model s when plugged into a 110/120 US outlet will get between 2 and 4 miles of range added per hour.

In a Model S, and on a 15A (not 20A, which most kitchen, bathroom, and garage sockets are), 3 mph is indeed what you'd expect. ~70% the efficiency, and 75% of the the power available.

This is one of the main reasons that I like efficient EVs: you can charge faster from weaker power sources. Aptera would have been a dream on a NEMA 5-15 or 5-20, and just crazy-fast up here. MS and MX are among the least efficient EVs on the market (not due to bad design, per se, but because they're roomy and loaded with long-range batteries, while most competing EVs are rather small, and their weight kept down by having only short-range batteries)

In a Model S, and on a 15A (not 20A, which most kitchen, bathroom, and garage sockets are), 3 mph is indeed what you'd expect. Under 3/4ths the efficiency, and 3/4ths the power available.
thanks for the info and maybe you are correct however and in my homes your assessment regarding the garage circuit is incorrect.
I am not running a wire to a bathroom or kitchen, I am using the closest outlet to the car.

I have two EV's currently... the model X and ELR.

The model x wall connector is on 100 amps while the ELR is on 32 amps. Should I upgrade to the new wall connector that supports share charging...so get two of them and I can sell my current wall connector to someone

thanks for the info and maybe you are correct however and in my homes your assessment regarding the garage circuit is incorrect.
I am not running a wire to a bathroom or kitchen, I am using the closest outlet to the car.

Check your breaker box and see what breaker that circuit is on. Odds are reasonable that it's 20A. That's most common in the US, because people run power tools and the like in their garage. No guarantees of course. Technically you're supposed to use one of those hybrid 5-15/20 sockets with a 20A breaker, but it's not rare to see normal 5-15s wired up to a 20A breaker. BTW, if it is only 15A, switching out a breaker is really easy. Your wiring should technically support over 30A (although you wouldn't actually want to put such high loads on it sustained!)

ED: Looks like Tesla's 5-20 adapter (if you want to use it) uses the horizontal neutral, to make sure that your socket is setup for 20A. So if you only have a 15A you may need to have the socket swapped out as well. Or just use an adapter if you're not picky..... ;)

Last edited: