Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always been fascinated with the variety and number of fasteners used in modern automobiles. Are the fasteners typically SAE or Metric based on what you have been working on?
Are any safety wired or painted? I do see some with a yellow torque paint indicator and a few appear to have a type of Locktite blue on the threads...

What were thous really wide shanked cap screws with the large heads from?

They all look like common hardware for the most part. Those cap screws you mentioned, look closely and you will see it's a countersunk head and bushing, the bushings looks seized and the screw is possibly custom.

Most automakers use torque seal paint (yellow on a few bolt heads) for suspension parts. At least on newer Honda, Subaru and Mini's. Not sure if they are using them for safety reasons or alignment reasons

Last edited:
I enjoy this thread enough to come out of lurker status. I'm 2 weeks into owning a CPO 2014 P85+, so you're helping me find out more than I thought possible about my car - thanks!
Regarding the center console, two comments: (1) the steel frame and thick plastic structure are probably to meet side impact standards since there's no center tunnel reinforcement to keep one front seat from driving into the other in a door intrusion scenario. (2) the reason the key fob antennae are circular is that they are also induction coils to power the fobs when they're dead. This makes me wonder about the one you found in the back...

While the center console could probably be better designed for less mass and easier assembly, another factor in the size of the structure of what you have in your 2012 Model S is that the typical car has a large driveshaft or exhaust pipe "bump/tunnel" which raises the mounting points of the console, thus the typical console can be far less stout.

With the extra height/free space to cover in a Model S (from the flat floor to elbow height), far more structure is needed to make it rigid. The engineer has to assume that an obese person will either sit on, lean against, or slide over, the center console, and the center console must not break or deform when that occurs.

Having said that, I'd suspect that if someone were to disassemble a more recent vintage MS, the entire center console is probably a much different design given that current MS's weigh hundreds of pounds less than the early MS's. As Elon has stated, they make "about 20 hardware changes a week" to our cars, "many of which will likely not be noticed."

And that is how hundreds of pounds are removed over the years, leading to bigger "a" in the F=ma equation, and larger :) among MS owners with each press of the "go" pedal.

Last edited:
UPDATE

What "you know who" was hoping for...

Vs. What actually happened

I'm not sure why he has such wrath. So far you haven't started to rebuild, it's all tear down at this point. There is no wrong tear down if you do a proper rebuild.

You seem to know that you should avoid getting electrocuted and you seem to have no illusions about this being an easy project. Honesty and open documentation of a project shouldn't be punished.

Well, though I don't agree with his hysteria, there is a "wrong" tear down if a bank of cells blows up in someone's face, or if some damaged cells decide to melt down and cause a fire. No one wants to see that, outside of some extreme members of the anti EV anti Tesla crowd.

Well, though I don't agree with his hysteria, there is a "wrong" tear down if a bank of cells blows up in someone's face, or if some damaged cells decide to melt down and cause a fire. No one wants to see that, outside of some extreme members of the anti EV anti Tesla crowd.

Well, I have removed all of the modules, so I'm going to say that the immediate danger is gone. My neighbor is gone for a few weeks on vaca so I put the bad modules in front of his garage.

Reactions: wbrumfiel
q7uNtFJ.jpg

I don't know why, but the 1V cracked me up.

Glad things turned out better than some feared(/hoped).

New to the thread so haven't started at the start. But I'm surprised Tesla didn't want to purchase this car. Possible they have purchased a flooded car before to do some R&D on. Or maybe a few engineers are subscribed to this thread already for free.

given that current MS's weigh hundreds of pounds less than the early MS's. As Elon has stated, they make "about 20 hardware changes a week" to our cars, "many of which will likely not be noticed."

And that is how hundreds of pounds are removed over the years, leading to bigger "a" in the F=ma equation, and larger :) among MS owners with each press of the "go" pedal.

There has not been any independent verification of that as far as I know.

What "you know who" was hoping for...

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm necessarily rooting against you, I do hope you have success in salvaging it... Just I wish you'd be more careful in how you handle HAZMATs.

I'm not sure why he has such wrath. So far you haven't started to rebuild, it's all tear down at this point. There is no wrong tear down if you do a proper rebuild.

You seem to know that you should avoid getting electrocuted and you seem to have no illusions about this being an easy project. Honesty and open documentation of a project shouldn't be punished.

Didn't realize I was necessarily being hysterical, but I agree with JRP3's sentiments.

Careless deconstruction is just more fuel for the media to use to sell an anti EV story.

If you guys do your thing and it has no impact on my ability to do my thing, I have no problem with you guys doing whatever you want.

However, the parts ban is indicative that you guys doing your thing would get in the way of me doing my thing... thus the wrath.

People have always taken apart and repaired the products they own. Nothing can be done about it, and no OEM should expect anything else. Tesla's parts ban will not stop anything. In fact it may cause people to use unsafe damaged products from salvaged vehicles instead of buying new replacement parts, so if anything, Tesla is potentially making the situation worse.

What bothers me is all the " Tesla in out to screw us " angles people are preaching. This isn't the 1930's when news didn't cross county lines. This is the instant Information Age when a car burns to the ground after a supercharger is plugged in kills a company age. Tesla is protecting the brand for a greater good, because the downside is catastrophic not only for tesla, but every tesla owner, ev owner, and man kind. Tesla dose have the legal right In protecting there brand ,image , and the obligation to protect the human life in a Tesla car.

If anything, Tesla is potentially making the situation worse.

I agree.

Part of the reason I got hysterically angry at you guys is feeling punished for something I had no involvement in, and that wrath was hoping to express to Tesla that not everyone is going to go about repairing vehicles so carelessly.

What bothers me is all the " Tesla in out to screw us " angles people are preaching. This isn't the 1930's when news didn't cross county lines. This is the instant Information Age when a car burns to the ground after a supercharger is plugged in kills a company age. Tesla is protecting the brand for a greater good, because the downside is catastrophic not only for tesla, but every tesla owner, ev owner, and man kind. Tesla dose have the legal right In protecting there brand ,image , and the obligation to protect the human life in a Tesla car.

Have you noticed that the parts ban is also damaging their own brand?

This "Tesla is out to screw us" sentiment is a different kind of brand damage, and one probably equally as detrimental as the media's yellow journalism.

You need the support of tinkerers to succeed in the automotive industry. It is far too early in Tesla's tenure to be closing the door on such a vital and important market segment.

Then also the current design making it such that any slight damage totals the car and goes for auction at 1/10 the retail value in salvage auctions is going to put the hurt on insurance companies who then will raise premiums on the model S, and make it impractical to own a Tesla vehicle in that sense.

Last edited: