Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine me spending all this time and money only to find out that Tesla wont reflash the firmware. :mad:

Now that would be some good entertainment :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Im talking more entertaining than the sh*t storm created after autopilot crashes into another car, more entertaining than someone making a thread as to why they are going back to an ICE car entertaining, more entertaining than the flood of Teslas that will be on the market soon once people have to start paying out of pocket for repairs entertaining... Ok you get it...

I can see this thread all over Jalopnik already. "Man spends 70k fixing salvage car. Tesla refuses to certify and man is left with a paperweight"

I really want to get a good chuckle so Ive been writing down all the part numbers that I need to replace on the car to get a price from Tesla. There is no insurance report for the car because it was "presumed salvage" due to flood. Typically they at least write a report with labor costs and part numbers/prices for the items that need replacement.

What ever happenened to the guy that bought a salvage Tesla that was all over the news?

- - - Updated - - -

They won't reflash the FW for sure.

I know how this game works. Out of all the people that tried to get their salvage car certified, how many of them even attempted to bribe the techs?

Youd be surprised at what people are willing to do for a nice steak and 20$

I really want to get a good chuckle so Ive been writing down all the part numbers that I need to replace on the car to get a price from Tesla. There is no insurance report for the car because it was "presumed salvage" due to flood. Typically they at least write a report with labor costs and part numbers/prices for the items that need replacement.

What ever happenened to the guy that bought a salvage Tesla that was all over the news?

- - - Updated - - -

I know how this game works. Out of all the people that tried to get their salvage car certified, how many of them even attempted to bribe the techs?

Youd be surprised at what people are willing to do for a nice steak and 20$

So you plan to wine & dine them, slip then a Jackson, and try for a tech backdoor deal? Lol, dude you rock.

Thanks for the awesome thread, very much look fwd to updates each night

It's a pricing decision. Same reason they won't upgrade the pack.

Oh, they'll upgrade the firmware if it's a recert, but not if the car has been assembled with different electronics. VIN in the MCU doesn't match? Out the door. Other parts don't match up? Same.

I'm not sure pricing is the issue, since it seems that they even refuse to sell a larger pack to someone. The only "supported" way to get a larger battery is to buy a different car. And that certainly doesn't line up with Elon saying that they won't make service a profit center. (And it is better for the environment to re-use parts than to make new ones...)

Is that all from personal experience?

Last edited:
It's a pricing decision. Same reason they won't upgrade the pack.

Oh, they'll upgrade the firmware if it's a recert, but not if the car has been assembled with different electronics. VIN in the MCU doesn't match? Out the door. Other parts don't match up? Same.

This seems like its from personal experience, how sure are you of this exactly?

Keep in mind a guy brought Tesla a battery pack out of a salvaged car and they installed it for him.

This seems like a YMMV type of thing

Dumb question, but does anybody know if this speaker is standard or part of Hi FI upgrade?

speaker.jpg

This seems like its from personal experience, how sure are you of this exactly?

Keep in mind a guy brought Tesla a battery pack out of a salvaged car and they installed it for him.

This seems like a YMMV type of thing
You try buying a salvage pack and getting them to upgrade. I don't know how long ago 'that guy' was.

You don't think inducing you to buy another car from Tesla would be a better option for Tesla, than programming upgrades?

You try buying a salvage pack and getting them to upgrade. I don't know how long ago 'that guy' was.

You don't think inducing you to buy another car from Tesla would be a better option for Tesla, than programming upgrades?

'that guy' was 5 months ago

Need some help figuring out my salvage model S - Page 23

Man oh man, I'd love to see Tesla's strategy for me bringing a car there and them convincing me to purchase another one.

Quantum is correct, They won't do pack swaps anymore. That was their last one (of 2 that I'm aware of).

I disagree, in that Tesla will do pack swaps/upgrades such as upgrading a S60 to a 90kwh pack. I asked them directly, and they said sure just give us $23K + give them your old pack. That said, I wouldn't doubt that they won't upgrade a car if you didn't buy the pack from them.