Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another salt-water sweetheart went today:

snap.png

Judging from the VIN, I''d say it was built around October/November. Some people just can't have nice things.

With the notoriety of this thread, I guess some just have to experience the agony for themselves...

OP, I wish you could finish it. But I know that you have the sense to call it when it's clear it's not economic, and that's what's about to happen. (as I've said from the beginning)

I know why you haven't yet opened up that pack. Or cracked open the inverter.

It'll be Ok man.

Another salt-water sweetheart went today:

View attachment 111117

Judging from the VIN, I''d say it was built around October/November. Some people just can't have nice things.

With the notoriety of this thread, I guess some just have to experience the agony for themselves...

OP, I wish you could finish it. But I know that you have the sense to call it when it's clear it's not economic, and that's what's about to happen. (as I've said from the beginning)

It'll be Ok man.

I could kiss you.

That auction has been invaded by tourists lately since it's easy to get in. Everything there gets bidded up ridiculously these days; I hardly even bother to look anymore. Luckily there are two others. (although you have to be a dealer for those -- or know the ropes)

I guess some just have to experience the agony for themselves...

Whenever I need a pick me up I usually refer to one of quantums posts.

Priority 1 for completion
Running, driving car

Priority 2 (nice to haves)
supercharging
3G

Success is having a running Tesla that I can drive to Quantum's house.

That means Priority 2 completion in order to use Superchargers. I cant wait to see it. I have family on the Olympic peninsula and I'd head up there for a visit to meet you there.

I don't see any reason you can't succeed with at least priority 1. Will it make financial sense? Probably, depending on if you can get a reasonable donor car.

Priority 2 could be different. It depends if Tesla blacklists salvage cars from the SpCs. (Though I recall that while Tesla wouldn't sell parts for the Strechla he was able to SuperCharge it.) If they did blacklist it, will they allow you to go through the re-cert process?

I think something else is going through the courts right now that will impact this: The "Error 53" bricking of iPhones after you have had a self/third-party repair done. If that class action suit ends up getting resolved such that Apple has to allow non-Apply repairs I could assume the same could happen with Tesla.

Shoot even Subaru is sort of like Tesla. If you replace any of the major components the car will refuse to start. I know someone that runs a transmission shop, and after he repairs/replaces a transmission he has to have it towed to a Subaru dealer to have everything reprogrammed. (I think they charge ~$150 for that, and you don't even have to get it unloaded from the tow truck, they just hook it up, program it, and send the tow truck back to the transmission shop.) I think by the time the Model 3 has been out long Tesla will be forced to do something similar.

OP is lucky that the MCU and binnacle are working, otherwise there would be ID problems. There will probably still be serial# mismatches with other transplanted boxen though, especially ARS and airbag controller. Likely charger, DC-DC, and so on.

The iPhone is a different issue, and the class action will fail. It centers around the thumbprint reader, which is paired to a specific phone with hardware encryption. Some 3rd party shops have been installing them without the encrypted ID, and these are now getting Error 53. It's a security measure so that a thief can't just put in another reader and be able to use your thumbprint which is stored in the TPM. (to use your credit cards)