Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have no idea how much you have made my day. Like really. Everything about this photo confirms everything that I have seen so far in the vehicle.

I knew the car sat at an angle because the water line on the passenger side is higher than that of the drivers side. Everything about this makes sense. Did you have a lacrosse sticker on the car? You also left a 220v plug in the back, as well as a game of apples to apples and lots of armor all wipes (which survived!) Do you have photos from any other angles? I'm legit smiling from ear to ear right now

It looks like you took pretty good care of the car so kudos to you for making my job easier, any ideas on how long the car was in that state for, also anything that was brought in under warranty for the car from Tesla? Looks like the 12v battery was replaced and the drive unit as well.

That's where that 220 connector was! I thought it was lost over a year ago. Lol. Yes and I guess we'll need to get a new apples to apples. They had to break in at the salvage yard for me as the doors wouldn't open and I did want my Maui Jim sunglasses back. I did forget about those other items. But the car was full of things for the weekend. Six 3 foot hoagies ruined in the frunk, a bunch of stuff soaked in the back trunk.

Best of luck with it. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Here are a few other pics:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 952
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 855
The iPhone is a different issue, and the class action will fail. It centers around the thumbprint reader, which is paired to a specific phone with hardware encryption. Some 3rd party shops have been installing them without the encrypted ID, and these are now getting Error 53. It's a security measure so that a thief can't just put in another reader and be able to use your thumbprint which is stored in the TPM. (to use your credit cards)

It seems to me it is exactly the same issue. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to take your "repaired" iPhone to an Apple store and have them properly link/configure the new thumbprint reader. (After verifying you are the owner of the phone.) Sure they should be able to charge a reasonable fee, but from what I have read the only option Apple gives you is to buy a new phone. (Just like Subaru lets you bring a repaired Subaru in for re-programming. You don't have to have them do the actual repair.)

OP is lucky that the MCU and binnacle are working, otherwise there would be ID problems. There will probably still be serial# mismatches with other transplanted boxen though, especially ARS and airbag controller. Likely charger, DC-DC, and so on.

The iPhone is a different issue, and the class action will fail. It centers around the thumbprint reader, which is paired to a specific phone with hardware encryption. Some 3rd party shops have been installing them without the encrypted ID, and these are now getting Error 53. It's a security measure so that a thief can't just put in another reader and be able to use your thumbprint which is stored in the TPM. (to use your credit cards)

@Quantum Not to get too off topic and not to rag on you, but that excuse is nothing short of horse s***. As someone who repairs just about everything he owns (including lots of apple products for not only me but friends and family) Apples stance and solution are utterly deplorable (as is Tesla's for that matter) this has nothing to do with "security" or "encryption", the core issue is that when you replaced a touch ID home button the touch ID part would stop working, everyone knew this (if you went to a good repair shop) it was an unfortunate compromise because apples legal department is filled with wankers, but at least your $600 phone could continue working for less than $100 in repair costs, no fingerprint sensor but the button worked. Then for some perverse reason Apple (with over 80bill dollars in the bank) decided that instead of losing out on the revenue of a $200 official repair or new phone, they would simply DISABLE (via an OTA SW update with no warning) a phone that you bought and paid for with YOUR OWN money (strangely they don't tell people to stop putting them in blenders or dropping them on sidewalks for Youtube views, also warranty voiding actions).

To make an analogy in the auto world: Lets say that you are out in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and suddenly had a flat tire on your Ford Focus, frazzled you look around only to find that your car didn't some with a spare, then by some stroke of luck off in the distance you see what looks like a sign for a garage (not an AUTHORIZED FORD STEALERSHIP mind you, it's the middle of NOWHERE), after getting some essentials from your car, you walk about a mile and half to find an auto repair shop/gas station, after inquiring you get them to pick up your car and fix the tire. A few hours and a little bit of coin later you are on the road again, no problem right? WRONG. A month later, when you are shopping at your local Costco, your car is completely disabled, doors locked/windows rolled up, key doesn’t work, and to top it off you can't get your valuables out, after speaking with your local Ford stealership they say that Ford issued an update that morning that disabled cars whose tires weren't replaced at an "authorized" dealer, you (now outraged) ask why? They say "Ford doesn’t want their proprietary lug nut tightening procedure to be public information" (even though this has no impact on their overall sales, IP, or so called security). Does this (rather long I admit) parable sound utterly ludicrous? If so just replace Ford with Apple, and tires with Touch ID, same BS different flies.

**steps off soapbox**

Also, what thief is going to rip apart your phone to get your credit card when they can just pull a piece of plastic out of the same pocket and go buy a flatscreen on Amazon in less than 5 minutes, no Mr. Robot skills required. Most thieves are pretty dumb in real life, sadly that doesn’t get reflected on TV as much.

It seems to me it is exactly the same issue. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to take your "repaired" iPhone to an Apple store and have them properly link/configure the new thumbprint reader. (After verifying you are the owner of the phone.) Sure they should be able to charge a reasonable fee, but from what I have read the only option Apple gives you is to buy a new phone. (Just like Subaru lets you bring a repaired Subaru in for re-programming. You don't have to have them do the actual repair.)
Mike please read what I said carefully:
Some 3rd party shops have been installing them without the encrypted ID,
There is no hash even there, to pair with the phone's TPM.

obrien28: Hey man don't blame me for Apple's policies. They have a locked-in system and you knew that when you bought them. You knew that; don't buy them since it bothers you so much. They're not changing, because that's a big part of their revenue.

I don't buy Apple or Microsnoft or G**gle because privacy matters to me. If you can't see what their product is, you are the product. Myself I've run CentOS exclusively for 19 years and run hacked firmware in my Android phone (and hack it further) because stock is not secure enough. If you don't care to develop the technical skills, raise your fists over your head crossed, as if manacled, like they do in Nineteen Eighty Four.

@brismyth: That poor car! :(

She was too good to just sit there and rot away. Ive repaired cars in the past and would have loved to find the previous owner. This is like the lotto for me.

Every time I sell a vehicle as part of the sale I ask for regular updates on the car. Does that make me a creep for wanting to see where my masterpieces end up?

Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

That auction has been invaded by tourists lately since it's easy to get in. Everything there gets bidded up ridiculously these days; I hardly even bother to look anymore. Luckily there are two others. (although you have to be a dealer for those -- or know the ropes)

Why are you wasting your time looking at salvage cars? I thought only simpletons that have to learn things the hard way did that?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see any reason you can't succeed with at least priority 1. Will it make financial sense? Probably,If they did blacklist it, will they allow you to go through the re-cert process?

Why should I even bother with the recert? Heck the 3G works now.

Recert will only allow me to buy parts ( theres plenty on ebay at this point) as well as have Tesla work on the car. However by the time Im done Ill have the technical knowledge to fix the car myself. I can spend that 1500 recert money on some 21 fanblade wheels

I don't think you should bother. Heck, given how much you'll need to do to the car, I think Telsa would make it pretty difficult for you to recertify successfully.

But for this reason, I think there's a decent chance your 3G (and possibly your ability to supercharge) may die at some point after you start re-connecting regularly. Various other threads on here suggest that Tesla electronically disowns its wayward children. I think you've just got lucky for the brief time you used the 3G previously.

@wk057 That picture is definitely dated, don't like Apple's prices? buy the basic model and go make your own RAM cheaper using tutorials from Jerri Ellsworth, or just buy it off amazon, no one said you HAD to buy EVERYTHING from apple, if they want to charge that much they can, look at Tesla charging 85kwh prices for a 77kwh battery, no different.

@Quantum

Firstly, as a fellow unix user I thought I should correct you:

tumblr_o1etoxqGiU1us7drco1_1280.jpg

Second, when a company other than Apple can make a laptop that is 18mm thick out of solid aluminum, with a stable unix distro and the ability to watch a youtube video without recompiling the kernel, then I might consider buying one. Further on the topic of aluminum, do any of you software engineers know just how expensive it is to run a fleet of Haas or Mori Seiki CNC mills (which apple does)? Never mind buying carbide tooling or sheets of high quality aluminum by the ton, that stuff costs money which is why a MBP Retina costs more than some piece of garbage ABS-plastic-coated-with-1micron-thick-layer-of-cheap-chrome-shine Windows box (or look like the laptop pictured below). Apple products are expensive because they are made from expensive stuff, do they mark up the memory/HD/GFX cards? YES (but see point #1). When it comes to hardware, people gotta pay suppliers/engineers/factory techs/etc. It ain't cheap and it certainly isn't free, sorry Mr. Stallman.

1UqiJ.jpg

As for who the product is, I don't think it's me, given that I pay for my apple products (HW and SW), unlike Ubuntu/Arch/CentOS which are all somehow magically free (like the wind or is it beer?) except for the hardware, wonder where that came from?

Back to the issue at hand, I don't abandon a product because I don't like the service I'm getting, I fight for my rights as a consumer. If you just switch to Android you are doing everyone a disservice, since several million people will take your place and buy an iPhone without regard for their right to repair, instead we must force companies (or governments) into doing what is right. If I paid for it I should own it, that is far more powerful then "everything should be free and open to all", which, while an idyllic vision is unlikely to occur at scale.

Why are you wasting your time looking at salvage cars? I thought only simpletons that have to learn things the hard way did that?
I've never said or even implied that. Quite the contrary. It's simply that salvage cars are uneconomic in the end when you consider costs of purchase and repair, diminished value from the fact of accident, NO WARRANTY, no SuperCharger, and so on. Yes, I live in cold water, swim in cold water, bathe in cold water, and sometimes even drink cold water, but then I warm it up for all you downstream. I've just been trying to make sure you know the realities. Facts are facts.

@Quantum
Firstly, as a fellow unix user I thought I should correct you:
View attachment 111217
Fine, I'm a Graybeard, probably twice as old as you.

Second, when a company other than Apple can make a laptop that is 18mm thick out of solid aluminum, with a stable unix distro and the ability to watch a youtube video without recompiling the kernel, then I might consider buying one. Further on the topic of aluminum, do any of you software engineers know just how expensive it is to run a fleet of Haas or Mori Seiki CNC mills (which apple does)? Never mind buying carbide tooling or sheets of high quality aluminum by the ton, that stuff costs money which is why a MBP Retina costs more than some piece of garbage ABS-plastic-coated-with-1micron-thick-layer-of-cheap-chrome-shine Windows box (or look like the laptop pictured below). Apple products are expensive because they are made from expensive stuff, do they mark up the memory/HD/GFX cards? YES (but see point #1). When it comes to hardware, people gotta pay suppliers/engineers/factory techs/etc. It ain't cheap and it certainly isn't free, sorry Mr. Stallman.
I am astonished that the Apple discussion here so far is oblivious to the fact of their massive data collection and mining. You don't realize what this means yet, but you will. As to Arch and CentOS being "somehow magically free (like the wind or is it beer?)", I assure you that there is no monetization of users. You have to understand how CentOS works. My background is intel and my work is enterprise systems security with one of the Big Four, and my home systems are as tight as it gets. Sure, Ubongo is another story; they've adopted the Apple model. I guess it's what you use.

Last edited:
Btr_ftw, for my part, I firmly believe you can achieve running state but with the need of a donor car, for the replacement of the various parts that are needed and would be uneconomical to obtain from Tesla at the replacement parts prices.
I would suggestion this auction for you:
5YJSA1DPXDFP09884, Mv-907A red Tesla Model S at ROCK TAVERN, NY on online auction by February 17, 2016 | SalvageBid
It's a collision damaged car, seems to be a P85, as is the signature 2012 flooded S that you have.
It is localised in Rock Tavern, NY, so the transportation costs to your place should be reasonnable.
I am in IT as well as you and I like a lot to work on my cars, including my P85.

I simply hope this helps you,

Franky
2013 P85

There are two things I worry about that could prevent you from achieving your goal:

1. Lots of wiring harnesses are going to need replacing. Not sure if you're prepared to take this on, but it's doable with a donor car.
2. Mismatched firmware between components. This is what I worry about the most. Even when I had a door handle replaced, Tesla needed to reflash the firmware on the car to get it to work. They've had to do this in the past for other things like replacing a bad charger. I don't know how you plan on dealing with this even if you do manage to get replacement parts. Only way around this I can think of is if wk helps you root your MCU and force the update somehow.

That said, I'm rooting for you because this thread is very interesting.

@wk057 That picture is definitely dated, don't like Apple's prices? buy the basic model and go make your own RAM cheaper using tutorials from Jerri Ellsworth, or just buy it off amazon, no one said you HAD to buy EVERYTHING from apple, if they want to charge that much they can, look at Tesla charging 85kwh prices for a 77kwh battery, no different.

As for who the product is, I don't think it's me, given that I pay for my apple products (HW and SW), unlike Ubuntu/Arch/CentOS which are all somehow magically free (like the wind or is it beer?) except for the hardware, wonder where that came from?

Back to the issue at hand, I don't abandon a product because I don't like the service I'm getting, I fight for my rights as a consumer. If you just switch to Android you are doing everyone a disservice, since several million people will take your place and buy an iPhone without regard for their right to repair, instead we must force companies (or governments) into doing what is right. If I paid for it I should own it, that is far more powerful then "everything should be free and open to all", which, while an idyllic vision is unlikely to occur at scale.

Having worked on thousands of apples myself and made a lot of money off of it in the process, I'm no real apple fan. Do I think they suit some people well? Absolutely. Do I think they're for everyone or "much better quality"? Not at all. Most people I've heard talk about how much better their Apple ____ was than their PC only ever owned $400 walmart laptops. Of course a $1500 computer is going to be better quality and last longer than a $400 walmart special.

Second of all, good luck upgrading most macs now.

For portables, unless you buy the cheapest non-retina macbook, all ram is soldered now (and only upgradeable to 16GB at time of purchase, isn't this 2016?). Bought the cheap one to be able to upgrade it easily? Better love living with a 3rd generation processor, 3 generations behind now. Want to replace the keyboard because a light liquid spill? Good luck, all the retinas are now riveted into the case, an un-necessary design change to make it harder on consumers and non-apple shops to repair. Unfortunately this and many other "changes" have skyrocketed the cost of repair which only hurts the consumer.

Don't get me started on the iMac either, want to upgrade your ram or replace your failing hard drive? Better be prepared to cut the glass off and re-adhere it. The golden time for apple repairability and serviceability was three years ago and has gone majorly downhill since. I understand making things a little more difficult to make it more portable, but it doesn't require gluing/adhering the battery into the case to do it.

I also disagree that buying an android to "protest" this is not the right solution. Of course it is. If a car manufacturer decided to weld the hood down and sold it to consumers like that, consumers would quit buying their cars when they get their first major repair bill.

Personally, I like the aluminum look but think it dents way too easily. I prefer my thinkpad that is way harder to scratch, has a longer battery life, a better screen (even better than the retina), and is easily upgradeable to 64gb ram. :)

I'll agree that the software is nice and is great for people who don't understand not to click on ads or get viruses easily. Much easier to reload a mac than to reload a PC, nice to not have to download drivers. Very nice to get free upgrades, the only time windows has done that is with W10.

Also, don't take my word for it, I used to mail logic boards to this guy when I couldn't fix them myself and he has plenty of choice words for apple.

/end apple rant

Last edited:

Recert will only allow me to buy parts ( theres plenty on ebay at this point) as well as have Tesla work on the car. However by the time Im done Ill have the technical knowledge to fix the car myself. I can spend that 1500 recert money on some 21 fanblade wheels

The only reason I could see that you wanted to re-cert would be if they blacklisted your car from the SuperChargers and you wanted to use them. (Which it sounds like you would like to.) And in that case it could be worth the $1,500-2,000.

Btr_ftw, for my part, I firmly believe you can achieve running state but with the need of a donor car, for the replacement of the various parts that are needed and would be uneconomical to obtain from Tesla at the replacement parts prices.
I would suggestion this auction for you:
5YJSA1DPXDFP09884, Mv-907A red Tesla Model S at ROCK TAVERN, NY on online auction by February 17, 2016 | SalvageBid
It's a collision damaged car, seems to be a P85, as is the signature 2012 flooded S that you have.
It is localised in Rock Tavern, NY, so the transportation costs to your place should be reasonnable.
I am in IT as well as you and I like a lot to work on my cars, including my P85.

I simply hope this helps you,

Franky
2013 P85

I understand this. Thanks for showing me that vehicle. I have been watching it closely and I can tell its going to go for more than Im willing to spend. No airbag deployment, car doesn't even look that bad. Its a 20k+ car easily. This is a perfect example of how ridiculous Tesla repairs can be. That sort of damage would not total many cars.

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason I could see that you wanted to re-cert would be if they blacklisted your car from the SuperChargers and you wanted to use them. (Which it sounds like you would like to.) And in that case it could be worth the $1,500-2,000.

Assuming this car has supercharging enabled in the first place. Id like to know that and a few other things from the previous owner.

If they told me it would cost 2k to use superchargers I probably wouldn't go for it. Maybe If I lived in Cali where there is a telsa in every driveway but we only have a few supercharging stations in this state.