Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried the same trick early on, Doesn't work, all those little caps have tiny holes in them and coolant leaks everywhere!

I made some plugs out of PVC pipe that I heated and stretched until they had a nice taper. Since then I found some nice silicone ones online.

Clever way to plug up those coolant lines, these are the caps to spray bottles for suntan lotion, wheel/tire spray applicator etc.

j8DEbI7.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
I tried the same trick early on, Doesn't work, all those little caps have tiny holes in them and coolant leaks everywhere!

I made some plugs out of PVC pipe that I heated and stretched until they had a nice taper. Since then I found some nice silicone ones online.

I noticed the same thing. 2 of the ones had little holes and 2 didn't. So with the ones that had holes I just joined two of the tubes together, as seen in my last photo near the yellow pliers.

Those pics really drive home the point of how much damage is going to be hiding in that car.
Is your plan to replace all cabling/electronics that have been exposed (or likely to have been exposed) to the salt water?
Basically anything that was under the high tide point of that vehicle is trashed.

Love your thread, keep the progress updates and pics coming...
Would be nice if you could have both cars side by side and be able to throw a week or so into the project to transplant everything required.

Those pics really drive home the point of how much damage is going to be hiding in that car.
Is your plan to replace all cabling/electronics that have been exposed (or likely to have been exposed) to the salt water?
Basically anything that was under the high tide point of that vehicle is trashed.

Love your thread, keep the progress updates and pics coming...
Would be nice if you could have both cars side by side and be able to throw a week or so into the project to transplant everything required.

The plan is to replace everything. If you look a few pages back, I stripped the black car down to the shell pretty much.

Wiring is out, motor is out, battery is out, interior is gone etc. I'd say about 90 percent of the components in the black car will be replaced.

That would be great actually, If I had a full week this would have likely been done already! However.... I would need lots of help convincing the wife that I should take a week off for the car but not for a family vacation....

Reactions: Kalud and cashie
Would any of that copper be Inco if this were Ludicrous? Or is that just inside the contactors? Are the contactors the white cylinders? Pardon my ignorance. I'm just trying to learn. I know, I know. If you have to ask don't take the cover off!
Good questions; things shouldn't be toxic here.

The contactors (+ & -) are inside the pack, and if it's a Ludy P85 they have Inconel points. And unless the coils on those contactors get 12v, no HV gets out of the pack.

UPDATE

Took the day off to put in some WORK on the P85 (photos to come)

I did get an interesting phone call today from the previous owner!!

He said his wife was doing some cleaning and she
FOUND THE KEY!!

For some reason I thought he would just send it to me for free and throw a little cash his way (I would cover shipping) but I was all kinds of wrong.

He would like to sell me his wall charger and key for $650

Does TMC consider that a good deal?

Only if you consider the key to be worth $150 (wall connector with 8.5' cable just went down in price to $500).

Well the wall connector he would be getting would come with a 25' cable and the replacement currently costs $550. So that would make the key only $100. I would probably offer him $400. A used, out of warranty, old model, HPWC isn't worth that much anymore.