Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know how when you were a kid and you took apart the VCR or your dad's fake Rolex he got on a business trip to China? Like you really wanted to see how it worked but once you started putting it back together you lost a few screws as well as your interest.. yeah, this is just like that, except on a much larger and expensive scale.

I am just so looking forward to your picture of all the bits you have left over once you've re-assembled the car. It never ceases to amaze me how much unnecessary stuff they add to these things. The car works just fine without them. Lighter is good, right?

Reactions: Saghost and MP3Mike
Noo! I messed up the quote :(
Can't edit yet as I'm still a new user. Apologies.
No worries :-D

My car is permanently named; "Life, the Universe, and Everything" :)

On another note; you should check out DA's book: "Last Chance To See". It's my favorite book of his (and the one he himself liked best in retrospect). It's available as an audiobook, and read aloud by himself! :)

Edit: Sorry about the OT-content. I get easily excited when it comes to Douglas Adams' stuff... Just like I do elsewhere when Tesla is mentioned :)

Last edited:
Reactions: arlorose
When disassembling something, I find it works best to put like parts in baggies with labels, and take pictures of anything that isn't obvious or that will be disassembled for a long time. It's kind of a pain up front, but saves you a lot of trouble later. This worked really well for me on a couple of engine rebuilds I worked on long ago when I had more time for such things.

Lots and lots of baggies. If they have a place to write the label, make sure to use something that won't easily wipe off. Otherwise, use something like sticky notes and put them IN the bad, not on the outside.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
When disassembling something, I find it works best to put like parts in baggies with labels, and take pictures of anything that isn't obvious or that will be disassembled for a long time. It's kind of a pain up front, but saves you a lot of trouble later

My problem is that things that seem obvious during disassembly (why write this down, I'll never forget that!) have a weird habit of becoming really subtle, obscure, and downright forgotten when it comes time to put stuff back together. I find this whole saga fascinating, I can't even imagine taking a car apart and reassembling it!

Bruce.

My problem is that things that seem obvious during disassembly (why write this down, I'll never forget that!) have a weird habit of becoming really subtle, obscure, and downright forgotten when it comes time to put stuff back together. I find this whole saga fascinating, I can't even imagine taking a car apart and reassembling it!

Bruce.

As a mechanic by trade, I take a lot of pictures at disassembly. But video recording your work is gold for later reference.

A lot of times I won't notice that 1 of 4 bolts is slightly longer, and often it isn't obvious where is came from. By documenting the removal, 90% of the time you can get the needed info on review.

This is how I take everything else apart that doesn't have an aviation manual.

Bruce.
My favourite tool in mobile device / laptop repair.

Reactions: hiroshiy and bmah
I'm with Wk on this one. My first salvage car was a 60 that was originally purchased w/o supercharging, but the owner subsequently paid Tesla to upgrade to supercharging (which they did with only a config change in the software). After I had possession of the car, Tesla went in and removed SpC and CHAdeMO capability. This is from a car that was functioning perfectly and had never been in an accident. So this is a paid for option, that I (in theory) paid more for when I bought the car, because it was working at the time.

Tesla then reduced the value of my car by doing this. They went into my car w/o permission and made a change. If they had done it by denying my car access at the supercharger, that wouldn't be as bad, but I still think since it was a paid for option that adds value to the car I should be entitled to it.

I would be ok with Tesla requiring a HV safety inspection for a nominal fee before they would remove the SpC blacklist, but they would have to do this be denying my car at the SpC itself, not by altering the car. If they are removing SpC capability on the grounds of safety, this should be something they would do, bat sadly, it isn't.

The only option is to pay the $1500-3500 inspection fee, with no guarantees, and hope they pass your car. If your car was damaged in an accident and was not structurally repaired according to their specs, you will fail inspection, regardless if your powertrain/HV system is 100% fine. Of course due to their other policy you CAN'T repair the car to Tesla's specs, because they wont sell you parts!

Tesla clearly wants the car gone. It's quite evident by these policies.

Of course, I re-enabled my SpC capability and locked them out of my car so they cannot alter it again. I will be happy to help anyone in a similar situation.

HI Ingineer,

New to the forum so will try sending this and see what happens.

Saw your posts on the flooded Model S that Rich is rebuilding.

Hope you can help give me some advise as next steps to take on one I am working on.

I purchased a flooded 2013 S 85 that had been flooded in fresh water. Have been going through all of the 12V systems, Pulled the HV pack and found the low voltage connector full of trash and now dried mud. Cleaned the connectors and lifted the cover on the pack to make sure it was dry inside - it was.

When I try to charge the car the charge port goes solid red and the status message Unable to charge is displayed on the screen.

Most of the 12v systems seems to be working.

Any thoughts or next steps would be welcomed.

Thanks & Regards,

DGB

HI Ingineer,

New to the forum so will try sending this and see what happens.

Saw your posts on the flooded Model S that Rich is rebuilding.

Hope you can help give me some advise as next steps to take on one I am working on.

I purchased a flooded 2013 S 85 that had been flooded in fresh water. Have been going through all of the 12V systems, Pulled the HV pack and found the low voltage connector full of trash and now dried mud. Cleaned the connectors and lifted the cover on the pack to make sure it was dry inside - it was.

When I try to charge the car the charge port goes solid red and the status message Unable to charge is displayed on the screen.

Most of the 12v systems seems to be working.

Any thoughts or next steps would be welcomed.

Thanks & Regards,

DGB

Welcome to the Forum!

Without getting the car in Diagnostic mode, there's no telling. My best guess is water in the drive unit inverter and water in the charger has done some damage. You don't want to power the 12v system until you confirm there is no moisture or corrosion in any system if you value those components. If you read all my posts in Rich's thread you'll see what I suggest. I'm also willing to help you get the car in diag mode. PM me for details.

You know how when you were a kid and you took apart the VCR or your dad's fake Rolex he got on a business trip to China? Like you really wanted to see how it worked but once you started putting it back together you lost a few screws as well as your interest.. yeah, this is just like that, except on a much larger and expensive scale.

As a kid? I still do this as an adult. Just last weekend I took a rather nice digital camera apart, was halfway through putting it back together when I tore a ribbon cable. And moments like while trying to figure out how that happened, snapped it's connector right off the mainboard.

You've got this...

Reactions: Jebus and Btr_ftw
As a kid? I still do this as an adult. Just last weekend I took a rather nice digital camera apart, was halfway through putting it back together when I tore a ribbon cable. And moments like while trying to figure out how that happened, snapped it's connector right off the mainboard.

You've got this...

This. Is. My. Life. I sell cinema cameras and do some of the lighter warranty work for my company myself. I went to pop open a Sony camera to replace a low pass filter and after trying to make a screw driver fit where it wasn't supposed to, I ended up burning a hole in a ribbon cable from the friction of the turning screw driver. At first I was like, eh no big deal. Then I look and both microphones and a couple of antennas are soldiered to this ribbon cable because Sony is going to be Sony.

Got it all back together though and it didn't even start on fire!