Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Drive Unit fluid (atf-9?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, it's my time and money, and fluid changes are the nicest thing you can do for your oiled and cooled parts, so I am not interested in trying to push them to their limits. I use Blackstone oil analysis for checking the health of the engines on my collectible cars, but when it comes to changing fluids, I am proud to do it more often than necessary. I save so much money doing the work myself, and fluid changes are easy, so trying to pinch every penny is just a fools game. Tesla's have plenty of fluids (brakes, coolant, front and rear oil) to change despite what most owners think. It's not much less than a regular car.

Realistically, are you going to have your Teslas at 150,000mi and beyond though? There is probably a greater chance of the car being totaled than for one of the components to have a 100% fluid-related failure in the time you own it, even if it's 10-15 years. (Brake fluid is a different story of course)

I used to share your mindset but realized that in my experience, it just wasn't worth the time. I'll either sell or wreck the car before it would ever matter. The 2nd or 3rd owner was reaping the reward of my labor and research, every time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 1,042
Yeah I have some questions about how you guys are doing this…
  1. Service manual references a "fluid evacuator" but I don't think there's any "real" fluid evacuator involved that's providing vacuum when draining?
  2. How are you powering the oil pump? I'm assuming it's 12V?
  3. What is this silly thing about hooking up an extractor to fill the case?

Reactions: Perscitus
Yeah I have some questions about how you guys are doing this…
  1. Service manual references a "fluid evacuator" but I don't think there's any "real" fluid evacuator involved that's providing vacuum when draining?
  2. How are you powering the oil pump? I'm assuming it's 12V?
  3. What is this silly thing about hooking up an extractor to fill the case?
To make things even worse - nobody except Tesla has required a dipstick to check oil levels.

Curious how did you know that the Pentosin ATF 9 would be a good or better replacement for the Model 3 drive units? Do you think it's a upgrade to the stock fluid used at the factory?
They have the same rating. The Oem fluid is only available as a keg/drum. I honestly don’t remember much of the job, it’s straight forward of dumping the fluid. Calculate how much came out and how much to put back in. The factory specs is different than what came out, so you can choose to keep to what they have or fill it to the max

They have the same rating. The Oem fluid is only available as a keg/drum. I honestly don’t remember much of the job, it’s straight forward of dumping the fluid. Calculate how much came out and how much to put back in. The factory specs is different than what came out, so you can choose to keep to what they have or fill it to the max
So are you disregarding what's in the factory service manual? I can probably dig up the "official" instructions. My entire life I've just drained and filled to the top of the fill hole.