Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which brand tires did you get and what's your efficiency Wh/Mile with 275/45R19 compared to your efficiency with stock tires?

How's the curb rash protection? Did you curb the wheels after getting the wider tires?
I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+. Definitely took a range hit, roughly 20%. My previous was ~180wh/km on stock tires. Now its ~220wh/km. Not sure how to convert that to miles but like I mentioned about a ~20% hit to range and efficiency.

It provides a bit more curb protection but nothing special, not a deal breaker when purchasing. Hope that helps.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+. Definitely took a range hit, roughly 20%. My previous was ~180wh/km on stock tires. Now its ~220wh/km. Not sure how to convert that to miles but like I mentioned about a ~20% hit to range and efficiency.

It provides a bit more curb protection but nothing special, not a deal breaker when purchasing. Hope that helps.
I predict your initial range hit will decrease as the tread wears. My first 4k miles on the Michelin PilotSport A/S 4s had a larger decrease in efficiency than now at about 12k miles. I'll trade that efficiency loss for the added traction, slightly softer ride, any day!

Huh? Who said it’s gospel? Tons of people have 29”+ diameter tires that fit and you say that they don’t.
if you yourself don't have them, then you're expressing an opinion.

the OP said his attempt didn't fit, but you're trying to tell him they "should".
so your belief system ignores his direct experience in favor of a blog.

I'm not saying they cannot fit. mods can always be done.
But the OP said when he tried them on his stock 19" wheels, they did not fit.

if you yourself don't have them, then you're expressing an opinion.

the OP said his attempt didn't fit, but you're trying to tell him they "should".
so your belief system ignores his direct experience in favor of a blog.

I'm not saying they cannot fit. mods can always be done.
But the OP said when he tried them on his stock 19" wheels, they did not fit.
No, I’m saying nothing is gospel. He said they didn’t fit. Many people said they did fit. Both have “direct experience”. I am surprised because he’s the first one on this “blog” who says they don’t fit.

Why should I trust him more than 50 other people who say they fit? Why do you trust his “experience” more than others?

No, I’m saying nothing is gospel. He said they didn’t fit. Many people said they did fit. Both have “direct experience”. I am surprised because he’s the first one on this “blog” who says they don’t fit.

Why should I trust him more than 50 other people who say they fit? Why do you trust his “experience” more than others?
you've proved my point.
you haven't done it yourself.
on a blog, it's as much he said / she said as it is truth be told.

not that anyone here is trying to deceive, but really, getting all that wind in your sail because someone couldn't make it work? priceless.

• Disagree
Reactions: fiehlsport
you've proved my point.
you haven't done it yourself.
on a blog, it's as much he said / she said as it is truth be told.

not that anyone here is trying to deceive, but really, getting all that wind in your sail because someone couldn't make it work? priceless.
I don’t understand your point. I said I’m considering that tire size and many people have them now. So many people are using the size that there is an entire thread of people who have installed them. This person saying that it doesn’t fit is the first one that has said otherwise. This surprised me because no one else has reported any issues with a 29” diameter tire fitting.

Why are you so upset?

I don’t understand your point. I said I’m considering that tire size and many people have them now. So many people are using the size that there is an entire thread of people who have installed them. This person saying that it doesn’t fit is the first one that has said otherwise. This surprised me because no one else has reported any issues with a 29” diameter tire fitting.

Why are you so upset?
you're still on this rant? over

• Funny
Reactions: PNWLeccy
For now I'm focused on an 19" tire. Discount tried BFG All Terrains and Falken Wildpeaks 255/55/R19, and they didn't fit (weren't even close).

255/55/R19 may fit with a more "rounded" road tire. But the square shoulders/deep tread of the All Terrain Tire is a little wider as well as taller. The Discount guy said that the suspension approach is at a 60 degree angle (and arches toward the tire a bit) rather than 90 degrees. So the height and width both matter approaching that knuckle.
Did you only try 255/55/R19 wildpeaks at discount tire? Since those are 30” they won’t fit but this guy ( ) used 245/55/r19 wildpeaks on the 19” Gemini wheels with no rubbing. Did discount tire have those in stock when you were fitting them?

I have the same replacement tires. They are great… except efficiency. Though I don’t have 20%. At most 15%, possibly 10%, consider they are new tires and now it’s winter.

Ride is noticeably smoother. If not for the discount from continental, I’d go with some low rolling resistance tires or grand touring tires.

Reactions: BudYSir
I'm definitely considering these ElectricDrive GT tires as well when my Vredesteins wear out. Those and the Pirelli P7 AS+3 are on the short list that is...
I would scratch the Pirellis off your list. They are top-rated in the Grand Touring category on TireRack.com but I'm a little disappointed with the AS+3.

I LOVED the original Pirelli P7 AS+ on my Lexus LS460 and Model S. That was a fantastic tire, quiet, plush ride, and confident grip in the wet.

While the AS+3 is equal or better than the Model Y OEM tire in every area:

-better ride
-noticeably better grip/handling
-equal level of quietness/noise
-about equal efficiency
-costs less
-longer treadlife

the tire overall did not impress me as much as the original P7 AS+.

In particular, the AS+3 rubber compound became very stiff when temperatures dropped below 50 F. The once comfortable warm weather ride became extremely stiff and actually worse than the OEM tire in same cold conditions. I ran the OEM tire at 38 PSI and felt it had a comfortable ride year-round. The AS+3 in cold weather was the first time I complained about the Y's ride quality.

Under hard acceleration I would have to work to keep the Y straight with the OEM tires and the Pirellis definitely gripped the road more securely but there was still some wiggle detected. Next set of tires I'm gonna go with the Continental DWS06+ or Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 for better grip (and hopefully softer ride) and sacrifice some efficiency.

I would scratch the Pirellis off your list. They are top-rated in the Grand Touring category on TireRack.com but I'm a little disappointed with the AS+3.

I LOVED the original Pirelli P7 AS+ on my Lexus LS460 and Model S. That was a fantastic tire, quiet, plush ride, and confident grip in the wet.

While the AS+3 is equal or better than the Model Y OEM tire in every area:

-better ride
-noticeably better grip/handling
-equal level of quietness/noise
-about equal efficiency
-costs less
-longer treadlife

the tire overall did not impress me as much as the original P7 AS+.

In particular, the AS+3 rubber compound became very stiff when temperatures dropped below 50 F. The once comfortable warm weather ride became extremely stiff and actually worse than the OEM tire in same cold conditions. I ran the OEM tire at 38 PSI and felt it had a comfortable ride year-round. The AS+3 in cold weather was the first time I complained about the Y's ride quality.

Under hard acceleration I would have to work to keep the Y straight with the OEM tires and the Pirellis definitely gripped the road more securely but there was still some wiggle detected. Next set of tires I'm gonna go with the Continental DWS06+ or Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 for better grip (and hopefully softer ride) and sacrifice some efficiency.

What a pity. Pirellis was actually my choice if not for the DWS06+ discount I got. Maybe try the comfort suspension retrofit if they become available.

That is not a bad treadlife warrantee. Don't know yet if I will be buying these, but I will certainly consider them.
Thank you. I agree. Do I remember reading that they are not available yet? Are you going to key an eye on them? I only got about 19,000 miles on my 1st OEM set on my 2021 MY and decided to just replace them to give me time to figure out what to do next (and learn how to use this forum). I've started a list of options mentioned in the forum.

My son has a friend who runs a Hankook warehouse so I am hoping that when my OEM's expire (currently 26k and counting) I can see what kind of deal I might be able to get through him for a set of Ion EV tires (assuming they come out with the OEM size, which they don't currently have).

20% because of new tires? LOL. Unless those are made of unbalanced lead.

How did you compare this? What was the surface, temperature, distance, weather, wehicle weight, etc?
Or, did you just drive for a day and stated this 20% hit?

Thank you. I agree. Do I remember reading that they are not available yet? Are you going to key an eye on them? I only got about 19,000 miles on my 1st OEM set on my 2021 MY and decided to just replace them to give me time to figure out what to do next (and learn how to use this forum). I've started a list of options mentioned in the forum.
I believe they can now be purchased, although, for some reason not in every region. I haven't seen any reviews for model Y

20% because of new tires? LOL. Unless those are made of unbalanced lead.

How did you compare this? What was the surface, temperature, distance, weather, wehicle weight, etc?
Or, did you just drive for a day and stated this 20% hit?
Whose got time to measure all of that haha. Im just taking what the car is displaying and equating that to 20%. Many factors not mentioned that can contribute to a range/efficiency hit, I suspect my spirited driving the first couple weeks as the main culprit . But as others have stated that number should come down over time.

Only tried BFG and Falken in 255/55/R19 and that is what did not fit. I went to a different Discount in town and had a nice conversation with a guy. Ended up ordering Goodyear Assurance Comfort Drive. Not the "aggresive" look I wanted, but a good tire with good treadwear and good warranty that I think has a good chance of fitting. OEM tire to knuckle is .75 and this should be .5 bigger so I think it has a good chance. I didn't want to go skinnier either as I want rubber on the road as well. I'm a bit aggresive when driving. I'll update next week when we find out. Didn't mean to cause an argument.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Only tried BFG and Falken in 255/55/R19 and that is what did not fit. I went to a different Discount in town and had a nice conversation with a guy. Ended up ordering Goodyear Assurance Comfort Drive. Not the "aggresive" look I wanted, but a good tire with good treadwear and good warranty that I think has a good chance of fitting. OEM tire to knuckle is .75 and this should be .5 bigger so I think it has a good chance. I didn't want to go skinnier either as I want rubber on the road as well. I'm a bit aggresive when driving. I'll update next week when we find out. Didn't mean to cause an argument.
Ok folks here is the update. I ordered Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive in 255/50/R19 and they fit ! Measured repeatedly and notes that say 29.25" to the suspension knuckle are likely correct. From stock Continental tires on 19" Gemini wheels there is about .75 clearance above. With Goodyears on it looks like about .20-2.5 clearance. Also at full turn it clears on back of front tires to wheel well plastic.

Tread depth change from 9 to 11 also helps it look more "off-road aggressive", so I am pleased given I think this is the max option that fits without changing to a skinnier tire. Not as aggresive as the Falkens, but didn't want to sacrifice any width. Tires with a more "square shoulder" A/T may not fit. But these "car tires" are slightly bigger and have an acceptable look. I told them to update their computers (Discount).

TLDR: Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive 255/50/R19 fits without issue on Model Y LR with stock Gemini wheels.