Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing 90D with new 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, love the information here on the Forum. I have an earlier (~3500) production Model X 90D. I love the car and have had very little issues with it. But the new battery will pretty much get me everywhere I need to go 90% of the time. We have family 260 flat interstate miles away and the 90D has to stop to Supercharge. The enhanced auto pilot is also pretty amazing. Taking cost and loss on the 90D out of the picture:

1. Is the upgrade now the right time to do it, maybe getting the tax credit still (early April delivery)?
2. Is there a body change coming as per so internet rumors to the Model X?
3. I am missing anything?

I want this to be a longer time own and before my new order goes hard thought I would ask the experts out there.

Thank you.

Some people are ordering now since they were on the sidelines waiting for the 100 kWh battery to be announced. Others are holding off for the potential announcement expected in late March which could add a HUD (heads-up display) or other functionality that will be available in the 3 once it is released.

1. You don't need to worry about the full tax credit as it will be around until Tesla sells 200,000 vehicles in the US. Even then, it will be gradually phased out and won't just disappear all at once.
2. Anything is possible but I doubt they would have major body changes to the X since it's only been out a little over a year. What rumors are you referring to?
3. We don't know what we don't know. :confused:

Reactions: xkwizit and ohmman
Taking cost and loss on the 90D out of the picture
In my opinion, you cannot remove the financial aspect of this decision. It's the crux of the entire matter. If it cost you nothing to upgrade, clearly you'd do it. If your 90D wasn't worth anything as a trade-in, you wouldn't.

Really, none of us know much about what's around the corner. We knew a 100D was en route based on a leak, but it took many months before that became a reality. Your decision about whether to trade up or not is just that - your decision. Only you can decide if the additional range and extended sensor suite is worth the money. I'd love the range, but it's not worth trading at this point for me.

Hi. Here is some speculation to think about:

April 2017: Heads-up display. Tesla will show off this feature during the third Model 3 reveal event. This feature will be added to the Model S/X on the same day.
February 2018: Model S/X will switch to 2170 cells. The battery size will remain 100 kWh but the new pack will be 20% lighter than the current one. This weight reduction will increase range by 10 miles. It will improve handling and 0-60 times will improve too. Additionally, 2170 cells will allow for faster supercharging.

Thank you for all the prompt responses. I checked the body style leak and it was in the Model 3 forum (found via a web search), so my bad as it probably does not apply as it was referencing the Model X pre to actual delivery vehicle. The April 2017 announcement would probably be worth waiting on. The new range solves any issues and the self driving is really attractive to me as I use the autopilot a lot now. Financially, having a early model in what will become the old battery pack I think will start to accelerate depreciation soon.

You could keep waiting for the next upgrade, but you'll never get a new car. Tesla is constantly upgrading hardware and software, adjusting prices, and government ev rebates may not last forever. Those who waited already missed out on unlimited supercharging. Just my 3 cents.

When people ask me about the Model Y (which I know nothing about), I tell them it will probably be a great car.... When it comes out in 2021.

I'm in a similar position. I am waiting to buy a model X but don't want to buy early and miss a "critical" update. I know there will always be nice to have add-ons, like HUD around the corner. I can live without those. But if I'm buying a car that is almost 3 times what I thought I'd ever pay for, I want to be able to be happy with it for 6 years and at least be OK with it for the next 4 after that. I consider AP 2.0 a critical update and an updated battery technology that would increase supercharging times would be considered another. I really want my X though so I am hoping the battery upgrade happens within the next year. It would be pretty crazy to put those great batteries in the model 3 then still try to sell the X with batteries that everyone knows are practically obsolete. I'm not wealthy enough to buy the X and be in a position to trade up after a few years. I have a feeling though that those batteries may already be in the 100D models. Why else would the upgrade from 90 to 100 be some cheap :). A man can dream!

I switched my order from a X 90D to a 100D. But no way is it worth it to me with your likely trade-in hit. The 90D would have still worked fine for us as a long distance trip car, just a little slower. That was why I was fine ordering the 90D to start with.

I think you have a fine long-term car. I think it would make a little more sense waiting for the 2170 cells if you really want a bigger battery. And as many mentioned, you will have this same problem every quarter as Tesla continually improves its cars. Are you really capable of hanging on to a Tesla long term? I hope I am. I usually keep a car over 10 years. That may be unrealistic these days.

Also keep in mind the price is continually increasing as well...

I still have my 3-year old non-AP classic Model S and I love it just as much as our X. The cars will continue to be excellent, it's all about frame of mind.

I agree completely! We love our 2013 non-AP model S. I really enjoy my model X, but if my wife needs it for the day, I have nothing to complain about in our S! These are great cars that we are very lucky to be able to enjoy. There is always something better, faster, etc. It's easy to forget how awesome it is to be able to drive any of these cars.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I agree completely! We love our 2013 non-AP model S. I really enjoy my model X, but if my wife needs it for the day, I have nothing to complain about in our S! These are great cars that we are very lucky to be able to enjoy. There is always something better, faster, etc. It's easy to forget how awesome it is to be able to drive any of these cars.
Yes, it all about our attitude. I did trade my 2012 Sig for a S90D in December, and was a bit concerned about the rumored 100 "obsoleting" my soon-to-be-new 90D. Then I thought how very much I've enjoyed my no-AP, no-ultrasonics, no-folding mirrors etc 2012 Wonder Car!!! It was time (4 years) to upgrade so I bought AP2, AWD, and FSD because it was the best available. Ecstatic with my car. It's going to make me happy for at least another four years regardless of what new feature is announced tomorrow.

Reactions: ohmman and ModelX
Yeah I'd wait also, ap1 is sooooo good compared to ap2. After having an ap1 loaner for 3 weeks while my brand new x gets repainted on 3 panels due to poor fit and finish I can't believe the difference. I'd be very very happy in a ap1 car for at least another 6 months.

Wait till the 2170 cells, then Hopefully the x will have an actually decent driving range. Mines awful,

If you have the means to trade up like you would with an iPhone - that's great! Otherwise ignore all updates that are coming up. You'll have an amazing vehicle that you can enjoy for many years.
Also, with improved battery costs you'll be able to swap batteries in 5 yrs for much cheaper than now.
New hardware is designed to be easily upgradable, so you should be future-proofed on it as well. I do not think that cars will need more than 8 cameras and 12 ultra-sonics. Maybe computing update down the road - but this now is placed strategically for easy upgrade