Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing (upgrade) brake fluid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all the brake components, master cylinder and ABS controller are up front..

I have to admit that I've never lost sleep over getting all the fluid in the ABS system flushed when changing brake fluid; I use the activate-the-ABS-on-the-road (safely) trick to cycle new fluid in... yeah it's a little sketchy but on the other hand I have never had a brake issue from old fluid...

I plan on bleeding my own brakes in 1 year when I reach the 2-year mark of ownership. I plan on getting the Motive Products Pressure Brake Bleeder Kit from here Motive Products Pressure Brake Bleeder which already comes with the correct cap for Model 3. Since I just daily drive my car, I will use DOT 3 brake fluid.

At the same time, I would like to replace the standard bleeder screws with one-way valved ones from Stahlbus (Bleeding brakes, The stahlbus bleeder valve) or Speed Bleeder (Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder) as soon as I know what the thread sizes and lengths are for the original Tesla bleeders. On my RWD Model 3, the original bleed screws for front and back have different part numbers in the parts catalog (front kit with 2 bleed screws is 8008256-00-A, and rear kit with 2 bleed screws is 8008260-00-A)

If any of you know or figure out the bleed screw thread sizes, or if you order the OEM Tesla ones and can measure that, please let us know.

P.S. If I don't use the pressure method with the Motive Products kit, I would use a vacuum method with this bellows from Stahlbus along with the one-way valved bleeders Auxiliary vacuum filling and bleeding device, 150ml

FYI for those that like to see visuals to learn how things work, here's an animation of how bleeding your brakes with the Stahlbus works

With those bleeder valves it looks like I might not even need the Motive Products pressure bleeding system. All I need is for somebody to figure out the thread sizes of the bleed screws for the Model 3.

Reactions: Lindenwood
All I can say is:
Dot 5 - Don't - Did that on a motorcycle for a friend - requires a complete flush (and basically a rebuild) of the brake system
Dot 4- that is fine
Dot 5.1 - That is compatible with DOT 3 and 4 (but NOT 5!).
You probably are not going to get your brakes hot enough to need it

• Helpful
Reactions: shrspeedblade
Wonder if they include a different type fluid with the "Track Package" upgrade.

It's almost certainly an upgrade, they mention "brake fluid replacement" but it wouldn't really make sense for them to just replace with the same type. It's probably something similar to Motul 600 or so, likely purchased from a name brand and just re-packaged (if even that).

Reactions: Msjulie
That's pretty much Crazy Town AFAIK, even with the most primitive hydraulic brake systems. The level of flush you need to do that, rather than using the 3 & 4 compatible DOT 5.1, is more or less "first flush out the entire system, including calipers, with high proof alcohol and pray you get it all". Plus I seem to recall you need to watch how the silicon stuff reacts with your seals.

Anyway, I just heard back from Motive. If I understand their support email correctly, and I've replied to get this confirmed, they have modified their "Part Number 1118: BLACK LABEL GM / LATE MUSTANG 3-TAB CAP" adaptor kit to also work with the Model 3. You have to make sure you get new stock direct from them, though. So hopefully within a couple weeks I'm going to do a pressure bleed, which is relatively easy as you can do it solo. You just have to make sure to prep with protective blanketing so you don't get any accidental splatter on any finished surfaces.
DOT 5 will absolutely not affect rubber, it is an inert chemical, but DOT 5 is more compressable than Dot 3, 4, or 5.1, they are all Glycol based and Dot 5 is silicone based.

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Is it possible for someone to make a video specifically servicing the brake system. Like mentioned above I'll switch to dot 4, but the ABS is tricky like mentioned. You think it's fine to leave it? Just service(brakes)like a normal ice vehicle?

It was suggested to me that if you do change your own brake fluid, you should try to refresh that fluid in the ABS pump etc (which shouldn't be a lot). For our VW/Audi cars, there was software to cycle the pump (we had VAG-COM as example)

That said, it seemed common knowledge (at least for those Bosch systems) that occasionally activating the ABS between fluid changes might be sufficient - I can only say for sure it's what we did for many years and never had any issues with contamination in the lines or brake component failures.

Advice on the internet is worth what you pay for it though :)

It was suggested to me that if you do change your own brake fluid, you should try to refresh that fluid in the ABS pump etc (which shouldn't be a lot). For our VW/Audi cars, there was software to cycle the pump (we had VAG-COM as example)

That said, it seemed common knowledge (at least for those Bosch systems) that occasionally activating the ABS between fluid changes might be sufficient - I can only say for sure it's what we did for many years and never had any issues with contamination in the lines or brake component failures.

Advice on the internet is worth what you pay for it though :)
The one thing I question is, is tesla the only one that has access to cycle the ABS? I guess a noob question. Isnt the brake fluid system tied into the ABS system. So if you drain and flush the rest of the system it would also go into the ABS?

@josh62294 I believe they use a Bosch ABS controller (I've not confirmed); fluid from the reservoir will go through the unit on the way to the calipers but how much little bit is left in side channels, etc? Beats me :)

I think that's why VW/Audi had a process to bleed it but I think the amounts aren't really significant in the end, especially if you are fairly regular in maintenance, at least that's been my experience

Reactions: android04
Stock valve is M10x1.0 as with most European cars. This is the Speedbleeder to get. If you have aftermarket AP or Brembo caliper, the thread is the same as stock but it’s longer. So you need to get the longer version of the same Speedbleeder.

Brake Bleeder / Brake Bleeding / Speed Bleeder Products / USA
I figured out the threads a long time ago (as detailed in my "Speed bleed brakes info" thread, by ordering spare bleeder screws from Tesla for my Model 3. But I determined that the speed bleeders were absolutely not necessary if I was using the Motive Pressure Bleeder kit. They would just be expensive and unnecessary, especially if I got the Stahlbus bleeders (which I would because they are way better thought out and higher quality than the Speedbleeders). No need for any of those valved bleeders when you use the Motive Products kit. I already did a full system bleed a few months ago with it, and just plan on doing it every 2 years. I wish I would have purchase this Motive Products system years ago. I did purchase more than one reservoir cap adapter and have used the bleeder kit 4 times already on other family cars.

By the way, by doing a full system bleed every 2 years and "activating" the ABS system in between through normal usage I don't see any problems with not getting all the fluid in the ABS module every time.

Reactions: Msjulie