Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report Map Errors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't use Google Maps. They use Google satellite and map images. So you can change things like business names in Google Maps and that will change since it is embedded in the images but not mapping or navigation info. Looks like Tesla aggregates data for the Navigation Data file from Tom Tom, Open Street Maps and probably some others.

All map and navigation errors or located in here and unless or until this file is updated (about every 6 to 12 months) nothing can change.

View attachment 895425
This is not accurate. Tesla does use Google Maps navigation api calls (when online) but also utilize additional layers for POIs, traffic patterns historical and live, and supercharger range/routing and fuse them all to create their own experience.

• Informative
Reactions: eli_ and zoomer0056
Google will never open up their turn-by-turn directions unless you have some sort of business partnership with them and agree to share a ton of user data. Map tiles and POI search is fair game, but not navigation.

Also Tesla probably wants to keep owning their navigation engine because even though the data may not be as consistent in quality as Google Maps, they have special needs with FSD and Supercharger trip planning.
Tesla does indeed use the Google navigation API today (when online) but they don't use it exclusively. There are many layers involved.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Odd well not sure they are completely using it. Tesla nav wanted me to make a right turn and then immediate u-turn in the intersection to go east even though there is a non protected left turn lane. Google nav (iOS app) has me getting into the left turn lane like I should be and making a left at the same intersection.

I submitted a wrong road info to Google and Tomtom almost a year ago, they were accepted, but I still have one invisible stop sign near a major road going over a rail. Used to be a construction zone during bridge repair.

Not sure where else to report this... OSS?

That's problematic that official sources accept data from the public. How is road info submitted?
They both have tools to specify what the nature of the problem is. Both are different but sufficient to describe the problem...

Most likely they did correctly apply the issues on their own map but Tesla is somehow not using them...

Once, I also updated my house location as it is a new build, and that one, Google accepted it, and Tesla recognized it within a week with no new Map downloads....

I was just doing some searching to try to understand how map data is updated because of construction finally completing (for the most part) in the Tacoma, WA are with new exits. After reading through this thread, I stumbled upon this article that just came out with some additional info this which I found interesting. This might explain the experience @MY1stEV was talking about back in January.
Tesla hacker reveals how maps are augmented with fleet data

• Informative
So i found this thread, but i dont think there was ever an answer as to if it is possible to report errors in the maps, and if yes, where to report it....And will it be fixed.

I have 3 different places i wanted to report and all 3 is correct in google maps, so must be errors in whatever maps they use.

1. I was driving to a hotel, the navigation wanted me to turn left into the hotel parking lot, but the road i was on, had a curbed area along the road, specifically to stop people from being able to turn into it.

Had to go a bit further and pop a U-turn to get there, google maps tells me to do exactly this.

2. When navigating home i have to drive on a piece of road in the city and turn left...But 2 roads before, it wants me to turn right, then left and left and then straight ahead on the road, but there is no reason for this detour, there is nothing wrong or any reason to do this detour.

3. When just entering the city i live in, i drive on a 4 lane road (2 lanes either direction) there is a short third lane for turning left, but this is only to be able to go to one house at the end of a dirt road. The navigation shows 2 lanes and the third is showed as a "U turn lane" and it then informs me to keep to the 2 lanes to the right. This is TOTALLY not needed, as no one would ever just do a U-turn there or turn onto that dirt road unless prompted.

I wanted to report these to have them fixed, but is it possible and if so, how do i do it ?

I have previously reported navigation errors to Google and they have constantly fixed the things i made them aware of (Not allowed to turn left at some road, and the sign was also clearly visible on google streetview so they agreed that i was right).

I have previously reported navigation errors to Google and they have constantly fixed the things i made them aware of (Not allowed to turn left at some road, and the sign was also clearly visible on google streetview so they agreed that i was right).
I also wish I knew a way to report Map errors to Tesla.

But while we both await an answer to that one, how about sharing your exact method of reporting errors to Google?

Reactions: hmadsen
Its been a while but i think you find the spot on maps on the computer, right click, select "Report data problem" (Maybe its called something similar i translated from the Danish site into English, on my computer it is the second item from the bottom)

Then there is an option "Report new road, or problem with existing road"

You probably have to be logged into google on the computer.

Don't count on Google, TomTom or even OSM edits to get picked up by Tesla. I am tracking a couple of navigation route issues in my area that Tesla is trying to go a route that doesn't exist and it is marked correctly on those three sources. The issue was corrected over 9 months ago on the sources.

Don't count on Google, TomTom or even OSM edits to get picked up by Tesla. I am tracking a couple of navigation route issues in my area that Tesla is trying to go a route that doesn't exist and it is marked correctly on those three sources. The issue was corrected over 9 months ago on the sources.
I have the same problem with one route. Tesla Nav wants you to turn left an entire street too early, but calls the street by the correct name (the correct street), and somehow thinks it all connects up. It does not connect through between the two left turns. It never has. The route it wants to take you is not possible. I have tried the same route on every mapping platform I can find. Open Street Maps. Google Maps. Apple Maps. Everyone has it correct. No one even shows a road on the route the Nav paints. I cannot figure out where Tesla is getting its crazy non-existent routing from.

If it’s getting it from Google then they suck lemons. Siri is better although it also makes mistakes.

It has me pass the exit to the road I will be taking which is empty, then drive in traffic to the freeway in traffic to exit to the same road it had me pass but it didn’t tell me I was exiting again and as I pass the exit it tells me now take the exit! So I’m on the freeway waiting 15-30 min for the next exit. How is that live traffic?

I’ve also called to see if the speedometer is calibrated correctly for th smaller 19” tires. There’s no menu to enter tire size.

It’s also told me to go the wrong way on a way way street. Which I now know why you have to have your hands on FSD.