Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requesting Advice to Decide Between New S 60D vs Used 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a similar situation as yourself, I am looking at purchasing one of the two cars more towards the December time frame. The refresh has a very nice look but I like to mod cars so there is a person on here who is close to perfecting his headlights and also now you have two companies who make the a front bumper refresh look-a-like for the older cars. The way I see it, you are pretty much on par with what the two cars offer, so now it comes down to price and then availability for the 85D. I'm hoping holding out puts me into that sweet spot with a 85D, if not, oh well, I'm still getting one!

Reactions: hybridbear
Biggest benefit of new is being able to choose paint/interior/trim colors, as there are so few CPO cars out there right now. Also it's hard to imagine a CPO or Used 85D would be cheaper than a new 60D w/ tax credit. I don't see any CPO 85Ds on the CPO consolidator; I'd imagine it will still be a while before they start appearing. Newer tech + facelift will help resale down the road as well.

While there are very few used cars across the country, I happened to find a used 85D with all the right colors and options near me. While attractive, I wanted the matte trim and prem sound, so I ended up ordering a 60D which ultimately was a bit cheaper than the seller's bottom-line price. Tesla: Model S 85 D

What about Next Gen seats in the new 60D versus the Nappa leather seats in the 85D? Are the Next Gen seats really that much better?
I'm not sure about the current "regular" seats vs the NexGen, but the original seats from 2013 were so bad, my wife did not want to take the Model S for long (>5 hours) trips. With the NextGen she's comfortable and happy. For me that's priceless :)

• Helpful
I must say, the difference in speed between the 90D and the 60 (75)D I test drove were minuscule. I noticed the biggest difference when the 60 was put in RWD, especially off the line. Between the 2, the value is more in the range than the marginal speed differences, IMO.

• Helpful
@hybridbear

Used 85D all the way! Even if it were a bit more expensive, I would still choose the 85D. Have you test driven both? The 85D is very quick and you might need the range in colder climate up there...
The 85D is in another state so I have not driven it. Tesla has removed the 85D specs from its website, but another source indicated that the 85D has the same 5.2 sec 0-60 time as the current 75D & 60D. I think the range is the only benefit there, no change in power.

The 85D is in another state so I have not driven it. Tesla has removed the 85D specs from its website, but another source indicated that the 85D has the same 5.2 sec 0-60 time as the current 75D & 60D. I think the range is the only benefit there, no change in power.

85D is 4.2s 0-60, just like the 90D. Its a typo online (5.2s) when looking at CPO/inventory 85Ds on Tesla's website.

• Helpful
I didn't realize that! Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a race car driver, though, so that's not a big deal to me. I'm more interested in efficiency than performance.

I'm not a race car driver either, but the acceleration of our 85D will never get old. My parents have a 2014 85 which has similar acceleration to the 60D and it is still quick, but it doesnt compare to our 85D.

Man that sucks! I was looking at that one as well. Only problem was for me that it didn't have premium sound or air suspension (air suspension is a deal breaker for me!). Are you going to go with the 60 now?
I guess so... My order locks in tonight at midnight.

Those two features were not a big deal for me. I'm not ordering either of them on the S 60D. That's why that used one was such a good deal. It had exactly what I wanted... It's the exact same configuration that I'm ordering, colors & everything!