Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation timing for dual motor/performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere on the forum that if you have a reservation but want to wait for the AWD/performance model, that you can defer and keep your place in line, but I think that was just speculation because I see nothing on Tesla's site to corroborate that.

Elon mentioned if you reserve right now, you won't receive delivery until the end of next year, which is probably around the time they *might* begin production of the performance model. So, following that logic, right now would be the perfect time to reserve... or does it not work that way?

The way I see it, everyone that has already reserved knew full well they were only reserving for the RWD non-performance model, so that's what you'll be getting. Deferment would make no sense since you didn't reserve the AWD version...

• Disagree
Reactions: jsrawa and MP3Mike
I read somewhere on the forum that if you have a reservation but want to wait for the AWD/performance model, that you can defer and keep your place in line, but I think that was just speculation because I see nothing on Tesla's site to corroborate that.

Elon mentioned if you reserve right now, you won't receive delivery until the end of next year, which is probably around the time they *might* begin production of the performance model. So, following that logic, right now would be the perfect time to reserve... or does it not work that way?

The way I see it, everyone that has already reserved knew full well they were only reserving for the RWD non-performance model, so that's what you'll be getting. Deferment would make no sense since you didn't reserve the AWD version...

Assuming reservation order will have any effect on delivery, then if you want it sooner and can spare the $1k, go ahead and reserve and then forget about it until your turn comes up.

At design studio time they'll have some obvious known options like AWD and Performance available to check, but I'm sure that it'll make it obvious that it's not yet available.

Assuming reservation order will have any effect on delivery, then if you want it sooner and can spare the $1k, go ahead and reserve and then forget about it until your turn comes up.

At design studio time they'll have some obvious known options like AWD and Performance available to check, but I'm sure that it'll make it obvious that it's not yet available.

I'm just trying to figure out when would be the best time to reserve for the performance model, assuming they don't let you defer.

So if I reserve right now and my reservation comes up, but they don't have the performance model available for, let's say, 6 more months... would I lose my place in line??

This is honestly really stupid.. they should have a separate reservation system for those of us that specifically want the performance model.

Elon tweeted that people with reservations would be able to wait for the model they want without losing their place in line (or something along those lines).

How could that be true? Then there would be no way for them to accurately predict how many reservation holders will ultimately buy the base model, hence they would have no idea how many to produce. It's like pre-ordering a smartphone... you are pre-ordering a specific model, not some other better specced model. If you want the better specced model you have to pre-order that model.

What if 2/3rd of those early reservation holders want to wait for the performance model? B

I wish they would just have two separate reservation lists and this confusion would be avoided..

Last edited:
How could that be true? Then there would be no way for them to accurately predict how many reservation holders will ultimately buy the base model, hence they would have no idea how many to produce. It's like pre-ordering a smartphone... you are pre-ordering a specific model, not some other better specced model. If you want the better specced model you have to pre-order that model.

What if 2/3rd of those early reservation holders want to wait for the performance model? B

I wish they would just have two separate reservation lists and this confusion would be avoided..
I assume they will let you configure the options you want, and some of them will result in a later delivery. You would still be at the front of the line for those options.

No, it's not like buying a smart phone, people reserved a spot in line to configure and order a car. When their turn comes up they'll decide what options they want or they'll let others go in front of them until the options they want are available. Since no one that reserved early knew any of the options or the pricing or those options there is no way they could have a separate line for all the various combinations.

Tesla doesn't need to know exactly how many people want which options, there will be enough that want whatever they are building at the time that the line will not sit idle. Yes, if you reserved early and want to wait for the exact options you want then you will not lose your place inline. Which means if you reserve now with the hopes that you'll be able to configure your performance model in 18 months you'll still be behind everyone else who decided to wait.

Reactions: jsrawa and Bokonon
No, it's not like buying a smart phone, people reserved a spot in line to configure and order a car. When their turn comes up they'll decide what options they want or they'll let others go in front of them until the options they want are available. Since no one that reserved early knew any of the options or the pricing or those options there is no way they could have a separate line for all the various combinations.

Tesla doesn't need to know exactly how many people want which options, there will be enough that want whatever they are building at the time that the line will not sit idle. Yes, if you reserved early and want to wait for the exact options you want then you will not lose your place inline. Which means if you reserve now with the hopes that you'll be able to configure your performance model in 18 months you'll still be behind everyone else who decided to wait.

Well damn it! I reserved the day of the unveil but canceled the reservation because I was told numerous times I would lose my place in line if I didn't purchase the car the minute my reservation came due. This is ridiculous..

I'm almost positive that I read in an article from TESLA that I would lose my place in line and essentially be at the end of the line. I wish I could find that...

Screw it, I'll just reserve again today and see what happens.

Last edited:
I'm almost positive that I read in an article from TESLA that I would lose my place in line and essentially be at the end of the line. I wish I could find that...

A lot of people seem to be under this mistaken impression that they will "lose their place in line" if they do not order immediately when they are invited to configure, and I'm also confused as to where this impression is coming from. I do not see anything in the Model 3 Reservation Agreement or FAQ that suggests this is the case, and Elon has tweeted that early reservation-holders who want, say, AWD will be first in line as soon as it becomes available.

Part of the confusion seems to be that comparisons are being made to the early Model S ordering process, where you could request a one-time "deferral" of your order when your turn came to configure. Per section 5 of the Model S Reservation Agreement:
If you do not wish to enter into a Purchase Agreement, you have the option to relinquish your reservation sequence position and defer to a later position to be determined by us (only one deferral is permitted). If you do not communicate your decision to us within 10 business days of notification under paragraph 4, you will automatically be granted such a deferral.

The Model 3 Reservation Agreement has no language to this effect. Given that the Model 3 production plan and ordering process are built around mass production (rather than individual customization), having a formal "deferral" process will be largely unnecessary.

My expectation is that, anytime after you receive the invitation to configure, you'll be free to place an order. If the options you want aren't available immediately, you can simply wait until they become available. Meanwhile, Tesla will be mass-producing the configuration-du-jour and matching those produced vehicles to confirmed orders, prioritizing deliveries by their previously-stated criteria (geography, ownership status, reservation date, etc.). So, as long as you confirm your order as soon as your desired configuration becomes available (along with everyone else who has been waiting for those same options and who has already been invited to configure), you won't "lose your place in line" relative to others who want the same configuration.

Reactions: tracksyde
I assume they will let you configure the options you want, and some of them will result in a later delivery. You would still be at the front of the line for those options.

This would certainly be an efficient approach but counterproductive to sales. I think Tesla would like to drive folks to buy the car that is available now rather than waiting for all the possible future options.

This would certainly be an efficient approach but counterproductive to sales. I think Tesla would like to drive folks to buy the car that is available now rather than waiting for all the possible future options.
I'm sure they would, but they also need to keep their customers happy and allow them to purchase the cars they want. Elon himself has said that loyal customers are more important than short term profits. I'm sure there will be plenty of reservation holders happy to take whatever model they produce first. If 100,000 reservation holders say they want something else then that gives Tesla priceless information about what options to prioritize.

From a sales perspective, I highly doubt Tesla needs to worry about building too many M3 that no one wants for a long time.

That's not how it works. You are not "pre-ordering" anything. You are making a reservation to configure a Model 3. When it is time to configure, you can chose any options or configuration you want. If those options and configurations are actually available and they are in production, no problem. If they are not, you will have to wait until they are available. While you may "lose" your place in line at that moment, you will move towards the front of the line for the specific configuration and options you want. Simple as that. Tesla can't hold the line for everyone else behind just because you chose something not currently available.

For example, when X entered production, Tesla was only making the P90D version first and then the 90D. Those who wanted the 75D when they configured definitely had that option, but it was made clear that the other models were being made first. Similar situation for the 5 seat version.

It seems bit shortsighted and misinformed decision to cancel your reservation when you did. Depending on how the ramp-up goes and when they introduce options and performance model, it may not have mattered much on timing, but could also end up costing you months of time to get your car.

Reactions: Mishakim
This happened with the Model X.

Some new orders got their X before pre-orders reservations, because the pre-orders chose the 5 seat version (not produced until several months later) and the new orders chose other versions available prior to the 5-seat configuration.

Likewise, if they don't have AWD/Performance ready and they run out of reservations, new orders will get bumped ahead in the line.

By pre-ordering, once the AWD/Performance becomes available, you will still have priority over newer pre-orders and brand new orders.

You still have a great advantage by reserving early, to get the configuration you want.

I'm sure they would, but they also need to keep their customers happy and allow them to purchase the cars they want. Elon himself has said that loyal customers are more important than short term profits. I'm sure there will be plenty of reservation holders happy to take whatever model they produce first. If 100,000 reservation holders say they want something else then that gives Tesla priceless information about what options to prioritize.

From a sales perspective, I highly doubt Tesla needs to worry about building too many M3 that no one wants for a long time.

I agree about not worrying about a shortage of buyers for the first batch of builds but I'm sure as they weigh the pro's and con's of providing more information vs. less, they decided that at this point not committing to specific options offers the greatest flexibility to the business. It is the same with the reservation list itself. They could have shown all of us our place in the reservation list. However, if they chose to reorder that list based on a new roll-out strategy, they would risk pissing off a lot of customers. Right now we know it is roughly based on employees first -> existing owners + proximity to Fremont but they could easily change that strategy at anytime and none of us would be the wiser.

What I have learned from Tesla's history so far is that the engineers, developers and all employees are constantly playing catch up with Elon's vision and his deadlines. Whether it is with fit and finish, crazy complicated doors or autopilot, it has always resulted in production issues, cost overruns or delays. I'm convinced Tesla hasn't worked out not only the price of options but perhaps even the costs of options and the suppliers. If they offered an option and you configure for it, they will risk having to back out from those configurations. Any misstep will result in upset customers.

I believe Elon at face value at this point regarding keeping the Model 3 simple. Simpler to build, simpler to roll out and simpler to handle initial issues and provide fixes. I would like full knowledge of all available features too. I would have also liked AP2 over AP1 when I bought my S but I understand why they held back the information.

Reactions: pilotSteve