Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserved Model 3 LR. Talk me out of upgrading to a M3P!

Should I keep my Model 3 LR reservation or upgrade to a P?

• Stick with the LR, Speed Racer. Be reasonable!

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • You will regret not getting the P!

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! Sometimes it's hard to think about the ICE days being fully over. They're not over officially, but it's trending that direction and for some drivers, their ICE days are over. I think mine are for sure given my affinity for Tesla and EVs. My biggest objection with EVs have historically been about cost and lack of smaller cars (with decent range) or styling I liked....until Tesla came along. Their minimalist aesthetic speaks to me...quietly...but powerfully. There are small EVs but their ranges are laughable for any real commuting or distance driving. They're fine for a certain subset of people who only need some around-town errands, but that's not me (not yet).

No thanks on the Pristine Blue P but that's a beautiful color! As much as I would enjoy all of the extras with the P, I wouldn't be so keen on buying 20" tires or losing range, not to mention having to commute to Hollyweird on occasion. Those streets are so bad in places that I had to memorize where the bad lumps and potholes were whilst riding the sportbike.

I think once I have the car in the garage this weekend after driving it home my perspective will be different. It will no longer feel like pure cost outlay because I'll be reaping the benefits.....all the benefits I discovered when renting the M3 for the first time and having my mind blown.

This is.a decision you will have to make. Are you going to take the care to the track? If not, then how much is that extra thrill of the P REALLY worth to you? Sure, others have said how great it is, and its the only way to go, but is it really worth the $$$ ? Yes, the thrill WILL wear off somewhat after maybe 12 months. Also consider this: lower insurance on LR, better resale (more desirable model), longer range, more relaxing to drive long distances.

Reactions: Spacep0d
This is.a decision you will have to make. Are you going to take the care to the track? If not, then how much is that extra thrill of the P REALLY worth to you? Sure, others have said how great it is, and its the only way to go, but is it really worth the $$$ ? Yes, the thrill WILL wear off somewhat after maybe 12 months. Also consider this: lower insurance on LR, better resale (more desirable model), longer range, more relaxing to drive long distances.

I may or may not track it, but I'm surrounded by canyon roads here in SoCal. I know these roads and will likely explore them again in the Tesla. :)

Right now I'm a huge bundle of nerves....even if I were going for the AWD...because I've gotten used to not having a car at all. I'm putting 30k down and only financing a little bit and I'm feeling like I'm taking on a $1000 a month payment...but it's nothing of the sort.

Maybe that is your subconscious speaking. Financing and payments are an illusion. Regardless of what those numbers are, it is still a ~$60,000 commitment. Maybe the payment isn't $1000 but you're still tying up $25-30k of capital to get there. Its really six of one, half dozen of the other. An expensive car is an expensive car, no matter how it is transacted.

Its not anything to take lightly IMO, but the current resale on Model 3s appears to defy reality and common sense .. so .. it actually may be far less of a risk here than any other $60,000 vehicle.

Maybe that is your subconscious speaking. Financing and payments are an illusion. Regardless of what those numbers are, it is still a ~$60,000 commitment. Maybe the payment isn't $1000 but you're still tying up $25-30k of capital to get there. Its really six of one, half dozen of the other. An expensive car is an expensive car, no matter how it is transacted.

Its not anything to take lightly IMO, but the current resale on Model 3s appears to defy reality and common sense .. so .. it actually may be far less of a risk here than any other $60,000 vehicle.

Yes. I think that's what I'm feeling....the amount of money I'm tying up and the opportunity cost there. Still, I have no car right now. That could last a little while I suppose with this pandemic, but eventually I'll need transportation and the Tesla is the only car I want....even though it's more expensive than most ICE cars.

I had a Roadster for 7 years.
Then a Performance S for 2 years.
Then a Performance 3 for almost 2 years.

The acceleration has still not grown old!

Of course, I may be making up for my days of driving economy ICE cars.

I have a feeling that I'll be in this same boat. I'm an adrenaline junkie I must admit. Why else would I have ridden sportbikes for so many years in all weather, commuting to and from Hollywood and Santa Monica....with lane-splitting and all that? I think I will enjoy the stimulating accel of the Stealth P. :D

I got M3P at the end of 2018. Paid 70K with EAP (+tax-7.5Krebate) which was way more than my previous reasonably priced fun-to-drive cars (under $40K). It was a conscious decision and I don't regret it except that Tesla screwed up my cost of ownership calculations by lowering the price of P multiple times within 7 month.

I am one of those who do push pedal to the metal and wish I had more pull. Not at traffic lights, I don't respect such showing off (unless I am challenged and am in the mood), but more on technical ramps and twisty roads. I value good handling and invested into an aftermarket sport suspension. I don't track the car, not my thing (I have tried to do a couple of laps), so, while do I use the acceleration, I have never overheated the brakes.

If your priorities are similar, it is OK to get an AWD with the performance upgrade and then upgrade the suspension. Your acceleration from 20-30mph will be very similar to P and the handling will be better than the factory P. Not having 20" wheels will help. I really count my M3P with 20" as a 240 mile car as my WPM is more than 20% worse than the target even in ideal circumstances.

On the other hand, these days of working from home, going out for a drive, I really enjoy the track mode. So, ....

I got M3P at the end of 2018. Paid 70K with EAP (+tax-7.5Krebate) which was way more than my previous reasonably priced fun-to-drive cars (under $40K). It was a conscious decision and I don't regret it except that Tesla screwed up my cost of ownership calculations by lowering the price of P multiple times within 7 month.

I am one of those who do push pedal to the metal and wish I had more pull. Not at traffic lights, I don't respect such showing off (unless I am challenged and am in the mood), but more on technical ramps and twisty roads. I value good handling and invested into an aftermarket sport suspension. I don't track the car, not my thing (I have tried to do a couple of laps), so, while do I use the acceleration, I have never overheated the brakes.

If your priorities are similar, it is OK to get an AWD with the performance upgrade and then upgrade the suspension. Your acceleration from 20-30mph will be very similar to P and the handling will be better than the factory P. Not having 20" wheels will help. I really count my M3P with 20" as a 240 mile car as my WPM is more than 20% worse than the target even in ideal circumstances.

On the other hand, these days of working from home, going out for a drive, I really enjoy the track mode. So, ....

I like a good canyon blast now and then. I can see myself upgrading the suspension on my own....later....so it's nice to have a clean slate to work from but with the 18" Aero wheels. I don't always pull hard at lights (don't need all the attention or tickets) but if I'm in the mood I definitely want the acceleration where appropriate. I love good twisties, and where I live they're epic....from The Snake at Malibu to Angeles Crest and Hwy 150. They're everywhere. :) Another reason to have the track mode option.

I feel your pain with the price lowering of the P, but then again I'm a beneficiary of the price reduction just as TSLA owners will be beneficiaries of my Tesla purchase. :D

Reactions: Ugene
You will regret it and eventually lose money on the LR purchase by selling it and re-buying the P. Ask me how I know =P. That’ll probably cost you more down the line to do that than purchasing the P outright from the get go. It will be in the back of your mind the whole time. That is, unless you really can’t afford it then you shouldn’t be contemplating this purchase.

I think the sentiment here is that if you're even considering Performance, go for Performance if it's within your budget. It sounds like you're an adrenaline junkie who wants to feel the rush of a phenomenal 0-60 time and having been a previous rider of sport bikes, you probably won't regret it.

Personally, I went with LR because I know I'll never take it to the track and I also had the Boost Upgrade available to me on the LR as well if I ever desired more speed. I think the LR does an excellent job of balancing range+speed and the predicted resale value will likely be marginally better because of the range when battery capacity improves over time.

In sum, it sounds like it's in your budget. It's up to you whether you want the range (with the possibility of adding on speed boost) combined with a potentially better resale value OR an exhilarating 0-60 time, the visual differences between the Performance and the LR, track mode, etc. Regardless, you'll be getting a phenomenal car.

Bought a model S 85D five years ago. Loved it, faster than almost anything on the road, but always felt a pang of envy seeing the p85d obliterating other supercars on youtube. Whenever I gave a ride to friends and floored it, I’d have to tell them “and this isn’t the fast one”. I hated that haha.

Didn’t make that mistake again when I got my P3D+ a few years later! No regrets!

Bought a model S 85D five years ago. Loved it, faster than almost anything on the road, but always felt a pang of envy seeing the p85d obliterating other supercars on youtube. Whenever I gave a ride to friends and floored it, I’d have to tell them “and this isn’t the fast one”. I hated that haha.

Didn’t make that mistake again when I got my P3D+ a few years later! No regrets!

See? I don't want to do that. I want THE FAST ONE. :) Great story. :D

You will regret it and eventually lose money on the LR purchase by selling it and re-buying the P. Ask me how I know =P. That’ll probably cost you more down the line to do that than purchasing the P outright from the get go. It will be in the back of your mind the whole time. That is, unless you really can’t afford it then you shouldn’t be contemplating this purchase.

Right? Sounds like something I'd do, especially if I drove the P (or a Stealth) after purchasing the LR. I can definitely afford it, and for 6k difference (not counting the $2500 EV credit) I think the difference in the end will be marginal. I say 6k because I would absolutely have to get the accel boost with the LR had I gone that route.