Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserved Model 3 LR. Talk me out of upgrading to a M3P!

Should I keep my Model 3 LR reservation or upgrade to a P?

• Stick with the LR, Speed Racer. Be reasonable!

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • You will regret not getting the P!

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the sentiment here is that if you're even considering Performance, go for Performance if it's within your budget. It sounds like you're an adrenaline junkie who wants to feel the rush of a phenomenal 0-60 time and having been a previous rider of sport bikes, you probably won't regret it.

Personally, I went with LR because I know I'll never take it to the track and I also had the Boost Upgrade available to me on the LR as well if I ever desired more speed. I think the LR does an excellent job of balancing range+speed and the predicted resale value will likely be marginally better because of the range when battery capacity improves over time.

In sum, it sounds like it's in your budget. It's up to you whether you want the range (with the possibility of adding on speed boost) combined with a potentially better resale value OR an exhilarating 0-60 time, the visual differences between the Performance and the LR, track mode, etc. Regardless, you'll be getting a phenomenal car.

Yes, guilty. Adrenaline junkie (less so at 52 but still there), and I rode sportbikes for a reason. Performance was one of them, along with power to weight ratio (and free use of the HOV lane here in SoCal). Leaning in to corners just feels right compared to a car. Downsides? Lots of them, not the least of which is constant exposure to weather of all types; cold, rain, heat, wind, etc.

I think the LR+ is also a fantastic option and I'm sure I'd be happy with that had I not run across this Stealth (or a Tesla agent ran across it for me).

I still remember a ride from Knott's Berry Farm called 'Montezuma's Revenge', and one of the best things about it was that FAST takeoff. Love that, along with a good blast out of corners or the occasional on-ramp rocket experience.

I think you chose the best possible model (unless you plan to track the car a lot). I don't plan to, but I DID want the same acceleration so I got the stealth too.

And no, I never get tired of the acceleration. I too don't speed, but I do floor it at almost every opportunity to get up to the speed limit. The only negative is, it doesn't feel as fast anymore so I'm anxiously waiting for another update with an increase in performance. :p

I'm gonna be lazy, and copy/paste a portion of a post I made a while back...

<paste>
I've always bought cars that are one step from the very top of the line. And my wife has always listened to me, "Well, it's only one step down from the top... that's good enough."

Our Tesla test drive was in a LR AWD. Afterwards, I said to the wife, "well, it's only one step down from the top of the line, I'm fine with it." To which she replied, "Nope, not this time. I've listened to you say that for over 20 years." She then turned to the sales person, "What do you have in the Model 3 Performance?" And that's when Bluebird was born.
<end paste>

I have zero regrets getting the performance model. I know I'd still be trying to convince myself that "it's only one step down from the top. This is fine" had I not.

Our family has ended up loving our Tesla far, far more than we thought we would, and going into it we already had high expectations.

My advice to anyone that has decided to buy a Tesla: buy all the Tesla you can afford. You won't be sorry.

Bluebird turned one year old four days ago. And I love her more today than I did the day I brought her home.

Our Tesla isn't just transportation... it's actually an RV that is well loved by every family member. Even the dogs!

Reactions: Spacep0d and Ugene
I'm gonna be lazy, and copy/paste a portion of a post I made a while back...

<paste>
I've always bought cars that are one step from the very top of the line. And my wife has always listened to me, "Well, it's only one step down from the top... that's good enough."

Our Tesla test drive was in a LR AWD. Afterwards, I said to the wife, "well, it's only one step down from the top of the line, I'm fine with it." To which she replied, "Nope, not this time. I've listened to you say that for over 20 years." She then turned to the sales person, "What do you have in the Model 3 Performance?" And that's when Bluebird was born.
<end paste>

I have zero regrets getting the performance model. I know I'd still be trying to convince myself that "it's only one step down from the top. This is fine" had I not.

Our family has ended up loving our Tesla far, far more than we thought we would, and going into it we already had high expectations.

My advice to anyone that has decided to buy a Tesla: buy all the Tesla you can afford. You won't be sorry.

Bluebird turned one year old four days ago. And I love her more today than I did the day I brought her home.

Our Tesla isn't just transportation... it's actually an RV that is well loved by every family member. Even the dogs!

Great story. I knew I'd be asking myself these same kinds of questions, even with the justification. And, there's nothing at all wrong with the AWD LR or LR+, but I knew that if I could find a stealth I'd be all over it. I didn't expect to find one but I did.

That blue is gorgeous!

Reactions: Phlier
I have the LR AWD+. Wish I had the performance model, but at the time it was an $11k difference for the Stealth and $16k for the full P.

If I was buying now, I’d go with either the Performance or Stealth 100% for sure over the AWD. If cost is an issue, you can go used.

I have the LR AWD+. Wish I had the performance model, but at the time it was an $11k difference for the Stealth and $16k for the full P.

If I was buying now, I’d go with either the Performance or Stealth 100% for sure over the AWD. If cost is an issue, you can go used.

Wow, yeah that's a big price difference. I'm a late adopter (kinda) but I guess waiting paid-off a bit. Looks like a lot of people voted that I'd regret not going for the P or P3-.

Why not getting a Model Y ?

Honestly I find the Model 3 nicer looking than the Model Y, however the Model Y is way more practical.
Sportiness, looks, acceleration, etc.

If you’re buying a 40K+ EV, the value in the difference in practically isn’t likely to be weighted so much more than other things. Yes, there are some people that need that extra space daily. They’re likely posting about the MYP, regardless of whether they prefer the MY

Sportiness, looks, acceleration, etc.

If you’re buying a 40K+ EV, the value in the difference in practically isn’t likely to be weighted so much more than other things. Yes, there are some people that need that extra space daily. They’re likely posting about the MYP, regardless of whether they prefer the MY
Have one on order and fully intend on going with a YLR if it becomes available before 3LR makes appearance again (Because it would make little sense to offer YLR and not 3LR) -- RW range is important to me, performance takes a backseat.

Why not getting a Model Y ?

Honestly I find the Model 3 nicer looking than the Model Y, however the Model Y is way more practical.

Practicality is somewhat relative though. I don't have kids (child-free by chocie), don't haul too much, and I much prefer the looks of the Model 3 (despite their similarities). I'm not an SUV or crossover type, though the Model Y is a pretty good looking vehicle. My girlfriend really likes the Y though. She might get one at some point if some other hot new EV doesn't catch her attention in the coming years.

The range on the Y Performance is 291 miles, though the P3D is 299. So, with the P3D- I have reserved it's kinda the best of all worlds, higher range if I want it with some nice acceleration at the ready too. Not sure if the Y has a stealth model available. Even given that, I still prefer the looks of the 3 and that's enough to stick with it. :)

@Spacep0d i completely agree. Even though a Y would make much more sense for our family than a 3, the performance is just too addicting. Plus, I’m using the gap in our Model 3’s practicality as justification for buying a Cybertruck. Makes sense to me, at least. ;)

So have you decided what you’re going to get yet?

@Spacep0d i completely agree. Even though a Y would make much more sense for our family than a 3, the performance is just too addicting. Plus, I’m using the gap in our Model 3’s practicality as justification for buying a Cybertruck. Makes sense to me, at least. ;)

So have you decided what you’re going to get yet?

Howdy Phlier, I've got a P3D- (Stealth) that I'm picking up early next week! :) I've never driven the Performance at all or even a boosted LR, so this should be fun. Thanks for your generous offer btw!

Reactions: Phlier