Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Residue inside windscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The inside of my windscreen seems to have a fine coating of what looks like like the glue residue left after tape has been removed. Invisible for 6 months of ownership, I hadn't noticed any issues until the last few wet/cold mornings. Maybe it's from a protective film during transit.

It covers the entire screen as if heavily misted up & almost impossible to see through. Wiping has no effect until the a/c & fan are set to high, then after a few minutes the screen clears (& unless the car starts to mist up from damp occupants it doesn't recur). In all other conditions my windscreen is completely clean as I wash the car regularly, this doesn't affect the outside glass surface.

I've tried window glass cleaner & then white vinegar but nothing seems to shift it no matter how much I scrub or dry with clean microfibre cloths.

Can anybody recommend a product that might remove this please? I'm reluctant to use white spirits/isopropanol etc & it's never happened with any other car I've owned.

My A7 had this - could see both sucker marks and a stick on a4 sheet/docket with presumably the car info on it. What was amazing was the fact you could even make out writing (presumably the ink stops the UV). I took a picture I'll see if I can find it.

Only showed up in this type of weather.

Isopropyl would probably do the job. As long as you put something underneath to catch any drips I don't see how it would cause any problems.

White spirit is oil based, so I'd avoid using that.

If it's anything like the sticker residue that was on my doors, it took a lot of elbow grease and foaming cleaner to get it off.