Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Bumper and LED

Can Front bumper and LED lights be retrofitted?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by Seaside, CA on Saturday to charge and took a few shots of the new display model:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

View attachment 174868 View attachment 174869

I don't know. Zoomed in on new front and my front and they look slightly different.

Again, the difference in the photos is so slight that it could easily be attributed to difference in photo angle. Maybe I'm wrong but traditionally on facelifts like this they avoid sheetmetal changes and try to do as much as they can with lights and bumpers. BMW is famous for this.

Tesla especially, not wanting to re-tool for another hood, would likely follow this mold. And to also have to re-tool to make a hood that is virtually identical when simply adapting the design to follow the old hood's curve wouldn't have changed the look at all doesn't make sense.

I've been right about the changes up until now. Hopefully I'm still right. We'll see.

Edit: I see from the recently updated pictures that Tesla has at least made some changes to the bottom stamping to match the sealing surface on the underhood to the frunk. Hopefully those are the only changes.

Tesla especially, not wanting to re-tool for another hood, would likely follow this mold. And to also have to re-tool to make a hood that is virtually identical when simply adapting the design to follow the old hood's curve wouldn't have changed the look at all doesn't make sense.

Unless they are using the same (or very similar) hood forms on both MS and MX.

To me, the hoods look VERY different, especially the distinct curve of the leading edge. That's not just optical illusions and camera angles.

To me, the hoods look VERY different, especially the distinct curve of the leading edge. That's not just optical illusions and camera angles.
Charlotte this past weekend had both an facelifted S and an X for us to check out up close. They do not use the same hoods (or even similar -- the mounts are different).

However, do not forget that Tesla's facelifted version gets better range. The hood change could be part of reducing the drag, not just the nose. As such, to eek our a lower coefficient of drag and increase range without upping battery size, I totally could see Tesla retooling the hood.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

And maybe they are. To me it looks so close to the original that I can't understand why they wouldn't just adapt the design to the original as it wouldn't have necessitated a sheetmetal change and it would have looked virtually identical. Then again, I'm not running any car companies so what do I know. :)

Facelift

Just received an email that they're taking deposits. Don't like the price but I do like the front. It's seems a little more rounded in the front than the tesla refresh. I like the sport style of the round nose cone which seems to be missing from the refresh.

Facelift

Just received an email that they're taking deposits. Don't like the price but I do like the front. It's seems a little more rounded in the front than the tesla refresh. I like the sport style of the round nose cone which seems to be missing from the refresh.

Wow, I like it. I might even consider that once they start shipping and we can see real-life examples.

Interesting, I wonder if (a) the hood is the same, and (b) they ship the bumper already painted?

The hood doesn't change, if that's what you mean, so I think it's pretty clear here that the real MS facelift has a differently shaped hood than pre-facelift cars (you can see the distinct curve). Yes, they ship them painted (it's right there on the web page).

The Facelift will be supplied ready-painted and ready to bolt-on to your current Model S. Fitting should take around 4 hours to fit and should be conducted by only an experienced body repair shop.

Facelift

Interesting, I wonder if (a) the hood is the same, and (b) they ship the bumper already painted?

Great idea ... the bumper arrives painted and requires 4 hours of labor for installation.
Also uses the original hood, headlights and AP and Parking sensors for a price of $3,450.

Facelift

upload_2016-5-7_9-40-1.png

upload_2016-5-7_9-46-52.png

Last edited: