Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Bumper and LED

Can Front bumper and LED lights be retrofitted?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's starting to look like both can be retrofitted, that would be awesome! Just stinks because it's starting to sound like this could cost 10K?

LED with the option for adaptive if you pay extra?
Front Bumper, but didn't the AP sensor move up to the tesla logo?

I'm starting to think Tesla might offer a whole new body kit, because I noticed the side skirts are different too.

Or it could mean that its the same unit and when you buy the premium upgrade, the flip a software switch that enables the adaptive part.

They didn't do this on the mirrors back in the tech pkg days, so at least there is precedent for them to use separate hardware. However, if the parts are almost the same cost, it would make sense to get the volume discount and control it on Tesla's software side. We shall see.

So it's starting to look like both can be retrofitted, that would be awesome! Just stinks because it's starting to sound like this could cost 10K?
Looking at @FlatSix911's post upthread, the front of the hood is flat vs. curved on the new cars (look at the border around the Tesla T). I can easily see it costing $10k when including a replacement painted hood, if they even offer it.

Looking at @FlatSix911's post upthread, the front of the hood is flat vs. curved on the new cars (look at the border around the Tesla T). I can easily see it costing $10k when including a replacement painted hood, if they even offer it.

Just like if you wanted to do the parking sensors. Tesla would do it but it was over $6000. One of the main reasons is that they don't supply the parts painted. Thus you need new bumper (and in this case new hood) which would then have to be done at the bodyshop and painted to match your car. I think the bumpers would be prohibitively expensive. I think the lights would be rather easier and much more likely to happen..

Just like if you wanted to do the parking sensors. Tesla would do it but it was over $6000. One of the main reasons is that they don't supply the parts painted. Thus you need new bumper (and in this case new hood) which would then have to be done at the bodyshop and painted to match your car. I think the bumpers would be prohibitively expensive. I think the lights would be rather easier and much more likely to happen..

I agree that the bumper replacement might be cost prohibitive if the entire hood needs to be replaced... final confirmation needed from Tesla.
The lighting retrofit seems much more reasonable if the headlight is a direct replacement without the adaptive turning feature.
I plan of visiting the showroom this weekend to get more information from the DS and take some photos.

I had a parking sensor replaced. They had one in stock and it was done during one afternoon appointment, so I doubt they painted it - most likely they come pre-painted.

I had a parking sensor replaced. They had one in stock and it was done during one afternoon appointment, so I doubt they painted it - most likely they come pre-painted.
Me too. I had an error message that the sensors weren't working properly. After a trip to the SC, they discovered a rock had hit one perfectly centered on the front. He said it looked like someone just jabbed it with an ice pick perfectly in the middle.

I think it was $40 for a new one.

I'm a bit interested in doing a headlight swap. My thought is that it would be technically possible to do, but how much Tesla will play along with it, I'm not sure.

I'm thinking the adaptive lighting is CANBUS controlled. Our 2013 P85 has cornering lights (which are additional LED lights above the fog lights) and their behavior is exactly like what Bjorn's video shows, although there's just 1 light per side, rather than the 3 on the X and S. They turn on and off with inputs from the steering, and when in reverse, they're both on.

How about a poll option for "Neither"?

From this image, you can clear-as-day see the hoods are different, making a Tesla based (non-third-party) bumper retrofit "highly unlikely". Along with the new hood, there were likely many internal mounting point changes, hood release fittings, 12v jumper relocation, etc, etc, etc.. it's not just like bolting on a new bumper.

new-old-s-gif.172309

This post is just my uniformed speculation. While travelling a week or so ago I saw the new style S at the Houston service center / supercharger (the salespeople didn't even know it was there, but I spotted it in the service area). Hood looked identical to the original style, which surprised me, as I was expecting the more flattened leading edge from the renderings, and instead it looked rounded like the nosecone version. Who knows if its actually the same, but to my eye it was the same hood. Anyone else seen the new version in person care to share?

Personally, I do not believe that the bumper will be available for retrofit. My key reasoning is that the 12v jump posts are behind the nosecone. Those (and potentially also the 12v battery) had to be moved if they make that area inaccessible. That will likely cross into "structural changes" behind the nosecone and they simply not offer it, even if it would otherwise fit. Otherwise, how does an emergency 12v jump occur? In the cars now produced, they likely put the 12v itself (or at least the jump posts) under a panel under the frunk.
Jump the 12V? Under what circumstances would one do that? Is there a "normal" condition where the 12V can die while the big battery is OK?

I can almost guarantee you guys the hood is the same. There is no way they would re-tool for a new hood that was close but ever so slightly different and the difference you're seeing in the picture is so small that it could be light, shading, angle of the photo, etc. In fact, it's not "could be" so much as "is". When it all shakes out I'm willing to throw money down on the fact that the old hood will be identical to the new. 95% of the aesthetic retrofit is going to be the bumper cover. The only real unknowns are the small parts behind the floating logo. We don't know if that's part of the bumper cover, if it's it's own piece, etc.

But I'm willing to bet that for us pre-AP guys we're going to be able to swap bumper covers, add in the trim piece for the grill and call it a day.

The potentially complicated bit here is going to be the headlights. I vaguely remember someone taking them apart and stating that the controllers were inside. That's great news. If they are CAN controlled and the new lights also have internal controllers than in a best case scenario you might be able to simply plug them in and tell the firmware that the car now has LED lights. Easy peasy.

image.png
image.png
I can almost guarantee you guys the hood is the same. There is no way they would re-tool for a new hood that was close but ever so slightly different and the difference you're seeing in the picture is so small that it could be light, shading, angle of the photo, etc. In fact, it's not "could be" so much as "is". When it all shakes out I'm willing to throw money down on the fact that the old hood will be identical to the new. 95% of the aesthetic retrofit is going to be the bumper cover. The only real unknowns are the small parts behind the floating logo. We don't know if that's part of the bumper cover, if it's it's own piece, etc.

But I'm willing to bet that for us pre-AP guys we're going to be able to swap bumper covers, add in the trim piece for the grill and call it a day.

The potentially complicated bit here is going to be the headlights. I vaguely remember someone taking them apart and stating that the controllers were inside. That's great news. If they are CAN controlled and the new lights also have internal controllers than in a best case scenario you might be able to simply plug them in and tell the firmware that the car now has LED lights. Easy peasy.

I don't know. Zoomed in on new front and my front and they look slightly different.

Reactions: Karab
visited the factory today, guy there told me no not retrofittable, BUT considering he couldn't give a good answer as to why, id bet this remains to be explored at least for the led headlights. heated steering wheel was originally "not retrofittable different wiring harness" but somehow an SC did this for me recently :)

There is a facelifted S at the Charlotte store. The leading edge of the hood is definitely different. Very easy to tell in person when closed, a little harder when its open. I was able to play around with it as much as I wanted.

visited the factory today, guy there told me no not retrofittable, BUT considering he couldn't give a good answer as to why, id bet this remains to be explored at least for the led headlights. heated steering wheel was originally "not retrofittable different wiring harness" but somehow an SC did this for me recently :)

Do you have a thread on this? I would love to have the heated steering wheel retrofitted into my Classic!