Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit Bumper and LED

Can Front bumper and LED lights be retrofitted?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hypothetically speaking, anyone have a guess what the LED headlamp upgrade would cost if they decided to make them available and if they fit into the existing housing? As a data point, a replacement of the headlamp assembly with the exact xenon part is $895/side from the parts department.

If they are consistent with other brands, the LED headlight units from the factory should cost about $4000.00 a piece; and they become available used, you will see that price drop to roughly half.

That said, there is no way this won't be a big job. After doing on my other car, my guess is that it will be $10,000 ish if they will even offer the retrofit. And, if they don't, the backyard mechanic will need access to the CANBUS and programming in order to do this successfully - the easy part will be the fit but there will be wiring and programming not for the faint of heart (if its even possible).

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Looking at the video carefully (even as many times as he repeats himself), it's clear that the LED headlights do not move. New ones turn on with the turn.

So for someone who's a pretty good engineer, a retrofit would mean adding LED projectors to the existing setup, and fixing relays to activate them according to signals from the steering column. This avoids all the CAN bus decryption nonsense. I see simply a spiral contactor with brushes.

Is there a better method of retrofit?

Referring to the 'Order your Tesla Model S" page, it states that "full LED headlamps" are standard equipment and "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility" are part of the $3000 Premium Upgrades Package. I interpret this to mean that fixed pattern LED headlights are standard and dynamically steered beam (using 4-element LED arrays) are optional. Thus, the standard LED headlights should be a plug and play swap for the HIDs - no steering guidance required.

Reactions: Cyclone
Wow, I was happy to see the refresh and relieved as an anxious owner to not see too many changes I really wanted... until I heard about the LED headlights with the turny thing.

For me a "win-win" is usually enough but here safety, comfort (seeing better = comfort for me), AND improved efficiency on a BEV, hmm well that might be worthy of a retrofit (and since learning the old ones are around $1k each I've already started budgeting 2k for lamps). I'd love to do this to my own car as it has gone up in value since the price hikes (much due to exchange rate) and Ontario rebate cut.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain Model S headlights are controlled through the CAN bus right now. I had an aftermarket Mobileye in my earlier Model S and it was able to control the high beams. Programming that unit involved pinging the CAN bus until it did what you want. I also am sure that this is not motorized. LED's are cheap. So they turn on in progressive steps.

Based on all of this, and the fact that the form factor of the lights looks identical, I would think that the LED lights probably WILL be available as a retrofit.

The bumper is another matter. Looking at the pics out of Germany, it is clear that the Frunk has also been redesigned to be like the X. This includes changes to the closure area. Now some of this I'm sure is because they had to incorporate the giant Bio Weapon stuff (trust me its enormous in the X when you see it ripped apart - I have seen it)

I am also certain that the revised front requires a new hood as well. Thus this will be potentially prohibitive. Not technically impossible but definitely closer to 5 digits than 4 in terms of cost.

With all of that said, I would buy the lights in a heartbeat if they were available. I would personally expect them to come in around a similar number to the original headlights as parts.

On my old car, I retrofitted folding mirrors. LTE, Center console, and was considering next Gen seats, but then just decided to get the 90D. No regrets - it is amazing. (old front.).

The improvements to the car right now, whilst awesome are nothing in comparison to the technological advances which happened when dual motor and autopilot shipped. imho.

Wow i was rambling there. sorry.

Referring to the 'Order your Tesla Model S" page, it states that "full LED headlamps" are standard equipment and "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility" are part of the $3000 Premium Upgrades Package. I interpret this to mean that fixed pattern LED headlights are standard and dynamically steered beam (using 4-element LED arrays) are optional. Thus, the standard LED headlights should be a plug and play swap for the HIDs - no steering guidance required.

Good point on the standard LED headlights vs. the 3-position Dynamic LED option for $3,000.

New old s.gif

Or it could mean that its the same unit and when you buy the premium upgrade, the flip a software switch that enables the adaptive part.

LTE? You replaced the daughtercard? Please give more detail.
Yep, service center will do it for $500.
To perform the upgrade, the center display must be removed, a fairly complex process requiring much of the dash to be disassembled. The 3G/GPS module inside the display module is replaced with a new 3G/LTE/GPS module from UBLOX and a new SIM card.

Here is the detailed parts list from the kit:

• 1 – PCB ASSEMBLY, LTE CONNECTIVITY, UBLOX GPS (1054968-01-A)
  • 1 – SIM CARD, JASPER (1035347-00-A)
  • 3 – SCREW, M3x4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH (1010052-00-A)
  • 12 – SCREW, M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH (1010058-00-A)
  • 3 – CABLE, COAXIAL.50.OHM,100mm.U.FL (1010854-00-A)
  • 3 – SCREW, M3x6.TPH.RX10.W/PATCH (1010062-00-A)
  • 3 – SPACER, M3X6.M/F.HEXAGON.W/PATCH (1010816-00-A)

Leave a Reply

Sure I know the SC can do it. But studiojob retrofitted it, which I took to mean he did it himself.

UBLOX makes lots of LTE modules. Anyone taken a picture?
Ah, from the context of the other things in that list (folding Mirrors, Center Console, and considering Next-Gen seats) I think he's saying that the Service Center did the actual work, he just chose to pay them to do the retrofits.