Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so great news so far. 😩 Stopped by Tesla service again today. Explained everything so far. They're not sure what the problem is. Seems it ought to work, but it doesn't. I'm on the old ECU for now and it works fine. Scheduled a proper service visit for late January, the earliest slot for a proper visit.

I feel I'm at the intersection of either the ECU is faulty, it needs special configuration, maybe a wiring adapter, or it just won't work at all at the moment. Wish I could find some detailed info about the ECU and its possible wiring revisions -- maybe the door mechanism changed, and there may be an additional thermistor added, or something (just speculating). Wiring adapter could fix the thermistor issue, but if the door sensor is totally different, that could require a much more significant set of parts replacements. Hopeful for the first case (bad ECU). Worst case, I guess, I'll just have to wait to see when the CCS adapter is formally launched.

Anyone with the ability to dig up any more info about the charge port ECUs or the differences in revisions would be quite helpful in the time between now and late Jan.

While we're here, here's a photo of the Gen4 ECU I realized I hadn't posted yet. Note the shiny little transformer in the lower-left of the board. That corner set of components including the Qualcomm IC are the parts needed to squiggle the high-frequency PLC (powerline communication, similar to/same as that found in "powerline Ethernet" adapters) over the control pilot line of the J1772 plug. Not present on the earlier version, thus the CCS "enabled/not enabled" distinction.

View attachment 749392

Hey Falcon,

This is side track to your thread but you might have a picture that would be pure gold for me. I am rebuilding a 2021 model 3 and I have the same charge ECU 'gen 4' hardware which is not allowing me to charge after an accident. Do you have a picture of the back side of the board on your 'gen 4' ECU ? This would be a huge help to me and if you come through I would be willing to test out the same modifications you are actively working on if that is of any value to you ?

Your ECU (front side)
1647133840488.png

My ECU on back side:
1647133974488.png

I need a close up picture of this piece(s) on the board so can try to repair it
1647133938595.png

Hmm. I always thought that swapping to the EU Gen3 ECU would be kind of an iffy proposition. I'm surprised it "took it" (didn't need config change?) but informative to know it messes up TPC Supercharging.

Here in the US, there's no Superchargers other than TPC and no public chargers other than Type-1 J1772 (or TPC, less commonly) for AC, with CCS and CHAdeMO on the DC side. Even that spread of standards is too complex for some people. 😂

So for me, with my NA Gen4 swap and "Bundle of Wires" adapter, everything works great - TPC Supercharging, CCS, CHAdeMO (though I just sold my adapter recently), and AC charging.

I think I figure out why this situation happened to me. I replace my GEN3 with EU version CP ECU (1092755-82-B), it works with J1772 but not Tesla TPC SC.

==> Maybe it simply does not support the protocol to talk with Tesla TPC SC because there is no TPC SC in Europe, and that is why the rare alarm CP_a091 cannot be found by Google or other search engines. It only happened to an EU Tesla been moved to the US and modify its charge port to TPC, no one will do this unreasonable thing.

Or maybe there is some authentication information been stored in CP ECU so that Tesla can recognize and charge you SC bills? Need to configure/firmware update the CP ECU before usage?

Your approach is to replace your GEN 3 CP ECU with GEN4 CP ECU 1537264-00-B (with your mysterious modification to deal with the sensor issues), which is the NA version, which meant it MUST support both TPC and of course CCS at the same time according to your description. So, if you don't configure/firmware update your new CP ECU and it simple is plug-n-play, your approach seems the most reasonable one.

The conclusion is, replacing the GEN3 with EU version CP ECU (1092755-82-B) is okay for all European people because they don't have TPC SC, but maybe not work for NA and Taiwanese owners. How expensive this tuition I had paid for this lesson! Got to sell my GEN3 to Europe on eBay again!!! Anyone interested in my EU ECU please contact with me!

I think I figure out why this situation happened to me. I replace my GEN3 with EU version CP ECU (1092755-82-B), it works with J1772 but not Tesla TPC SC.

==> Maybe it simply does not support the protocol to talk with Tesla TPC SC because there is no TPC SC in Europe, and that is why the rare alarm CP_a091 cannot be found by Google or other search engines. It only happened to an EU Tesla been moved to the US and modify its charge port to TPC, no one will do this unreasonable thing.

Or maybe there is some authentication information been stored in CP ECU so that Tesla can recognize and charge you SC bills? Need to configure/firmware update the CP ECU before usage?

Your approach is to replace your GEN 3 CP ECU with GEN4 CP ECU 1537264-00-B (with your mysterious modification to deal with the sensor issues), which is the NA version, which meant it MUST support both TPC and of course CCS at the same time according to your description. So, if you don't configure/firmware update your new CP ECU and it simple is plug-n-play, your approach seems the most reasonable one.

The conclusion is, replacing the GEN3 with EU version CP ECU (1092755-82-B) is okay for all European people because they don't have TPC SC, but maybe not work for NA and Taiwanese owners. How expensive this tuition I had paid for this lesson! Got to sell my GEN3 to Europe on eBay again!!! Anyone interested in my EU ECU please contact with me!
Yes that’s basically what I said earlier. European model 3s and Ys only need ccs so it appears likely that the European ECU does not support the Tesla protocol for supercharging.

For parts available today, either FalconFour’s modification or the South Korean Gen 3 ECU should accomplish what you need. It appears likely that Tesla will offer a retrofit kit for US cars in the near future that will also accomplish the goal.

Reactions: wlee
you might have a picture that would be pure gold for me
Oh! Wow. Yeah, here! I have a brand new Gen4 fresh from Tesla, right here.

I had a hellova time finding a way to post HEIC files with original resolution 😂

But here's the relevant one:
1647138196260.png

Markings, the best I can tell: "510 / 14356L". Looks to be a choke, perhaps? Not really sure - definitely some kind of magnetic, with 2 channels. I'd guess it's connected across the long sides (=), not the short sides (| |).

No use testing these mods on yours, though - at least on the one you've shown - that board already has the PLC modem needed for CCS ;) It should already show CCS support enabled! If you have another earlier 3, though, it'd be cool to see some feedback :)

edit: Oh hey! These results look familiar: Filters | Common Mode Chokes | DigiKey

"Common mode choke" seems to be the ticket. Dimensions are approx. 5x3x3mm.

edit edit: Boom, I think I found it ("common mode choke" and "510" into Google and then a bit of sifting). https://octopart.com/act45b-510-2p-tl003-tdk-11675579?r=sp - seems to be a perfect match!

Last edited:
I may not be too detail oriented, I just try things until I get them to work (sometimes they blow up), but reading this thread I am curious what is going to be in this "kit" from Tesla?

Perhaps an adapter, definitely an ECU. are we thinking a high-voltage cable? Just some wires and resistors?

Oof. Well, I had the opportunity to assemble A Bundle of Wires into the connectors tonight, and... wow! I really should provide more instructions. I made 2 mistakes in the first 5 minutes 🤦‍♂️ Thankfully, a male pin from the set works great as a release tool (fully and CAREFULLY push it into the release hole above the connector hole, at the connector side, not the wire side). Just be careful not to put angled pressure on it such that it collapses the crimp you're using. It's a bit tricky. 😮 Just... let me help you make fewer mistakes here. haha

1647239987429.png

1647240061081.png

1647240154162.png

1647240240526.png

And don't forget to press the TPA lock once everything is in place! 👍

Hey Falcon, This may be a stupid question, but do all the blue and yellow wires go to the corresponding pin in the other plug? Also i'm assuming it doesn't matter which green wire goes where on the male pin connector as long as it's one of the correct 3 pins? Thanks 👍

Actually, you're looking at kW when the real limiting factor is amps (not shown on stations). These rated kW figures are often at higher voltages (e.g. the 800v cars). Your Plaid is a higher voltage system than our 3's (400v - often 350-395v with nominal around 370v I think), but not sure what the Plaid actually classifies as (supposedly 450v nominal is cited in the manual, thus "500v" relative to 400v). So you'll get more juice than the 3's will, just due to the higher voltage/same amps.

Pretty cool that you get such high numbers none the less!
Pretty cool you said? Yeah it is. Yesterday on a ABB HP CP500 CJ 350Kw : i was able to pull 221Kw Peak at 39% S.O.C.
Started preheated at 29% at 193Kw ended at 49% at 164kw. 20Kwh added in 6min04 for 3.82$CAD.

Im pretty happy with the results but what i found out is that the adapter that we use @FalconFour might not 100% safe. I will describe here what i mean.

There is no mechanism in place to prevent a fast disconnection between the CCS gun and the adapter. This i think (if im not misstaking) could cause arking... I think the original version in south korea as a push pin built into the adapter on the car side. When the adapter is pushed into the car it locks the gun with the adapter by engaging a pin. Can you confirm my fear ?

Can you confirm my fear ?
I can deny it at least, if that's any consolation 🙃

Lots of words on the matter in my reply here: CCS Adapter for North America

It's still less than ideal, but there's virtually no chance of bad things happening even in the worst case. I still think EVHub should work on adding that automatic latch lock to make it on-par-with Tesla's adapter. Bit of an engineering challenge to make such a spring-pokey-stick work, but it should be doable!

I can deny it at least, if that's any consolation 🙃

Lots of words on the matter in my reply here: CCS Adapter for North America

It's still less than ideal, but there's virtually no chance of bad things happening even in the worst case. I still think EVHub should work on adding that automatic latch lock to make it on-par-with Tesla's adapter. Bit of an engineering challenge to make such a spring-pokey-stick work, but it should be doable!
There was a prototype in Ukraine with perfect latch lock, I have pictures, however work is stopped due to the war for now.

I tested the EU CP ECU with the CCS2 adapter, it works well with Tesla CCS2 V2 Supercharger (just tested it for maybe less than 5 minutes as my SoC is high). Billing from Tesla is okay. Will test V3 Supercharger and third-party CCS2 Supercharger later.

In summary, for a GEN 3 Tesla Model, replacing EU CP ECU + CCS2 adapter can use Tesla CCS2 supercharger in Taiwan. I believe with @FalconFour's solution it should work both Tesla CCS2+TPC supercharger. Need a GEN4 CP ECU + FalconFour's mysterious kit (on flight now).

1647521883249.png

I contacted with @AlexUA few hours ago, he confirmed this is their product in early version, maybe high-voltage goes into the data pins and grill the CP ECU. I am thinking to improve the isolation of the data pins in the adapter by adding additional Fiberglass Electrical Insulation Sleeves as shown below, can anyone comment on this modification?

1647522559929.png

BTW, although this maybe not related to this topic, I really wish his country can become better and better soon. Many people in Taiwan are supporting them now, just because we have similar problem as they are, living near a big and threatening country.

1647522766834.png

I open the ccs2 adapter and found the internal signal wires are not well protected and seems too close to the DC pins (copper rods). This might be Alex said the isolation problem from high voltage (copper rods) and may grill CP ECU. As I only have heat shrink tube currently, I use the tubes to protect the wires from the high voltage pins. It should help, but hard to tell whether it is enough.

1647613679066.png

Add heat sink tubes to the data wires.

1647613956178.png

Reactions: FalconFour
Hmm, that wire positioning certainly doesn’t seem ideal. But I guess they’re constrained by dimensions

In your case I wonder if your car can just be modified to have the ccs2 port. Since they’re transitioning in Taiwan anyway, that might not be a bad option

protect the wires from the high voltage pins
Well, really, the wires are nowhere near them. Notice the D-shaped cutouts in each area. Folded together, it forms a "big D" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and that keeps them all away from the HV connections. They have nothing to touch there, except themselves - and they're perfectly insulated for that. No way for them to touch HV within that "D" shaped hole.

The most exposed area that needs protection from HV is, ironically, here, where there's little shrink tubing:
1647624867507.png

In my version, there's a little piece of cut PCB material that covers these wires, dividing (and fully protecting) them from the HV bars. If yours has that too, then that's all it really needed :)

Reactions: Joe Wang and wlee
It has a triangle-PCB in this D-shape area, I installed it back after my modification.

I also added additional protection using a heat-sink tube to keep the data signal wires from the high voltage, the photo shown here is not the final design, I forget to take a photo after I done it. Anyway, several additional measures were taken to keep the three wires away/isolate from the high voltage pins.

1647653187634.png

Well, really, the wires are nowhere near them. Notice the D-shaped cutouts in each area. Folded together, it forms a "big D" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and that keeps them all away from the HV connections. They have nothing to touch there, except themselves - and they're perfectly insulated for that. No way for them to touch HV within that "D" shaped hole.

The most exposed area that needs protection from HV is, ironically, here, where there's little shrink tubing:
View attachment 782586

In my version, there's a little piece of cut PCB material that covers these wires, dividing (and fully protecting) them from the HV bars. If yours has that too, then that's all it really needed :)

Reactions: FalconFour
Until now there is no such service in Tesla Taiwan to upgrade the older Model3 to have CCS2. @FalconFour 's GEN4 kit it should be the best solution for all Taiwanese people, as it enables all Model 3 can use TPC/CCS ! Now mine is only work with CCS2 as I only have this CCS2 adapter (and TPC SC is not working anymore), and my goal it to make my car can use both Tesla TPC/CCS2 SC in Taiwan, so to reduce my waiting time for SC.

I noticed some posts from other Facebook group show people in the US may wait 30 minutes to 1 hour in the line to use SC. We don't have this bad situation now, but maybe it will become very common soon. This retrofit can alleviate this issue.

Hmm, that wire positioning certainly doesn’t seem ideal. But I guess they’re constrained by dimensions

In your case I wonder if your car can just be modified to have the ccs2 port. Since they’re transitioning in Taiwan anyway, that might not be a bad option

Reactions: Joe Wang
Status
Not open for further replies.