Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, thanks. The right (DC) one "almost" looks like CHAdeMO, but not quite; and the left (AC) doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with. Are those some different standards only found in China??
They are the GB/T standard that is only in China. The AC is essentially an inverted Type 2. (They swap the genders from cable/inlet.)

I am in Europe, and the Tesla Service Centers here will not allow me to purchase the Tesla Model Y Chargeport Computer Module 1537264-00-B (the Gen4). Is there anyone here that could purchase it from a US Service Center, and post it on eBay for me to purchase it from? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for your time, maybe $200 total? I have a US-based Model Y. I, unfortunately, purchased it in the narrow window when they did not have the CCS enable chips installed. :(

For me, that means that I can only charge the car using my mobile charger at home in my garage. ::Sigh::

BTW awesome posts Falcon Four! I have read the feed from the beginning. I think you should make and sell the adapters needed for the Gen3 ECU's on the Model 3
Later this month I think I might be able to help you with the ECU for MY built for NA market.

Wait, wha? First I'm hearing of those P/Ns, and Google is giving me "that dumb look" when it has no idea what I'm Googling. What are those P/Ns in relation to?

1646857259588.png

1646857338308.png

Interesting. Seems like something is coming soon. Not sure about 004 vs 005. Did Model Ys ever come with Gen 3 ECUs? If not, 005 might be for gen 3 cars.

Where in the bowels of the parts catalog were you browsing? Seems like everyone has a slightly different parts catalog view (some folks even see pricing!). 🤔
If you search for CCS you will find it in the "Universal Mobile Connector and Adapters" section:

1646857924004.png

Of course they are flagged as "Not For Resale":

1646857996161.png

Which I assume that only Tesla can order/install them.

Today I was on the phone with Tesla Service Center and have placed an order for 1537264-00-B ECU (EU version) for April 2021 Model Y, built for US market. I will use the car in Europe.

Should I go and cancel it and order 1652004-00-A instead? I can't even find online what this kit is including.

Today I was on the phone with Tesla Service Center and have placed an order for 1537264-00-B ECU (EU version) for April 2021 Model Y, built for US market. I will use the car in Europe.

Should I go and cancel it and order 1652004-00-A instead? I can't even find online what this kit is including
Not if you're gonna use the car in Europe. That's ... not gonna be the right parts/kit for you. (Europe: CCS2. This is a CCS1 kit)

Well I guess I was a bit overzealous about ordering a random bundle of wires with crimps. It would be nice if Tesla put a teeny bit of communication power into describing what their future efforts are going to be with the CCS adapter. And I really do mean teeny... one sentence like "CCS 1 adapter will ship Q2 and retrofit kits for older cars will be available" is all that's needed. Along with maybe "V11 terrible UI will be fixed too ;) "

View attachment 778827

View attachment 778829

Interesting. Seems like something is coming soon. Not sure about 004 vs 005. Did Model Ys ever come with Gen 3 ECUs? If not, 005 might be for gen 3 cars.
1646947229588.png

1652004-00-A - ? after ?
1652005-00-A before August 2020

Interesting, because Aug.2020 does not match to GEN3/4 switch date.

UPD:
Ah, busbar is related to charger generation, uff
But...why?
1646949256725.png

Last edited:
Ah, busbar is related to charger generation, uff
But...why?
Ahh! That looks like it's related to this (below). They call the new (Gen4) style charge port connector a "busbar" as opposed to the previous (Gen3) style latching connector.
In fact, as I look at the charge port to battery harness, it looks to have a completely different connector for the battery 😳 So honestly, that may not even be possible!
1646601379269.png
I'm calling 'em "gen3 and gen4" because the components seem to all be tightly locked together -- if you wanted a Gen4 ECU, you need a Gen4 port, thus a Gen4 harness, Gen4 battery, everything. Same as for Gen3: a Gen3 port (which includes harness), Gen3 ECU, Gen3 battery.

See also: wiring diagrams for Model 3, delineated at "Oct 2020" for the Gen4 ECU/wiring switchover. Not quite August 2020, but pretty close.

So this just goes to show there's a planned retrofit for us "non-busbar" (gen3) folks :)

(and thus the Bundle of Wires is only temporary, d'oh)

This is what success looks like :)

View attachment 771485
View attachment 771486View attachment 771487

Exactly as anticipated.

Sitting at an EA station now chugging down some unapproved electrons. haha.

Need to check the alignment of the overheating temperature and make sure it lines up at real 170f, but that's exactly what I expected to need to do :)

Attached bonus photo: taken before I had it quite right (my charge port harness needed some de-bodging to return to stock).

Oh -- that's worth mentioning: in sum, the ONLY things I've done here is: install Gen4 ECU, add adapter harness :) that's it! That's THE ENTIRETY of the upgrade. It just took all these pages and discoveries to get there. haha
@falcon Are the yellow wires in the correct position in your photo? Pinout appears to show Pin 3 empty and Pin 4 connected, but photo looks like Pin 3&5 connected vs 4&5.

Status
Not open for further replies.