Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And then you have people clamoring to play Steam on the tiny rear screen for some ridiculous reason.

I agree with your comments but will take some issue with the above statement.

Buyers were shown misleading images of the same on the order pages, and currently at the display at the Peterson museum in LA, and I for one don't like being lied to.

Reactions: josahua and zero2?
I agree with your comments but will take some issue with the above statement.

Buyers were shown misleading images of the same on the order pages, and currently at the display at the Peterson museum in LA, and I for one don't like being lied to.

I am not taking issue with what was promised. I agree with you that if you were promised something, you should get it. I just think it's ridiculous to want to spend any time playing games on that tiny screen that is down by your feet compared to a big tablet mounted at eye level on the seat back with a $30 aftermarket tablet bracket.

Do you expect any retaliation from Tesla after suing them? They have so much control over our cars and service, it makes me leery to sue them for small claims. I would like to sue them over my incredibly wavy windshield. They have fired customers before, so I wouldn't put it past them.
Good luck with that. All the windshields are the same, too. Some worse than others, but all wavy.

Good luck with that. All the windshields are the same, too. Some worse than others, but all wavy.

If a lot of people sued, Tesla might consider doing some quality control and refusing to take delivery of crap windshields.

I saw a video demonstrating a machine that automates quality control for distortion of windshields, so you know some do quality control.

And distortion is caused by bad manufacturing. They should chose a manufacturer that knows what they are doing.

But if no one pushes back on Tesla just saying it’s normal because all the cars we build are flawed, then it will never get addressed.

If a lot of people sued, Tesla might consider doing some quality control and refusing to take delivery of crap windshields.

I saw a video demonstrating a machine that automates quality control for distortion of windshields, so you know some do quality control.

And distortion is caused by bad manufacturing. They should chose a manufacturer that knows what they are doing.

But if no one pushes back on Tesla just saying it’s normal because all the cars we build are flawed, then it will never get addressed.
Same with the vibration issue that affects most, if not all, Model S from 2021 onwards. Tesla. Does. Not. Care. About. Us.

Nope and they ignore me as soon as I mention what I want. [email protected] is also a joke. I turned it over to a collection agency to deal with.

So I’m about to go through the same thing. Just dropped it off to have the retrofit completed. If you want all your diligence to go to use, do you mind sharing the documentation you put together in preparation for small claims?

It looks like the Sunnyvale SC is going to play hardball, so once I pay for it, I’m going to file a small claims case.

Last edited:
msg me directly and I can give you some pointers. It's a complete time suck, but if you are pursuing this mainly on principle (my motivation).. it's worth it and can be done :) !

I'd also like to know how your retrofit goes, as I have mine planned a couple weeks out. Bit concerned, as how many of these do the SC's actually do? And one of the items I want clarified is we already paid for the 8GB PoS MCU .. so I want that piece of HW when the new MCU is installed-- why give them anything with all the BS they put us through regrading this! You can sell it via aftermarket or just put it on a shelf!

Reactions: niogyn
msg me directly and I can give you some pointers. It's a complete time suck, but if you are pursuing this mainly on principle (my motivation).. it's worth it and can be done :) !

I'd also like to know how your retrofit goes, as I have mine planned a couple weeks out. Bit concerned, as how many of these do the SC's actually do? And one of the items I want clarified is we already paid for the 8GB PoS MCU .. so I want that piece of HW when the new MCU is installed-- why give them anything with all the BS they put us through regrading this! You can sell it via aftermarket or just put it on a shelf!
Yeah, they'll try to keep it. It's do dumb. 2k for an 8GB memory upgrade. That's 1990s money.

Reactions: Evee
Ok, well...

I decided to contact an attorney to begin the California Lemon Law process, and I wanted to include this issue as well. I'm not confident it will go anywhere, but if this can help any of y'all fam with ideas on how to make your case, I'm happy to share what I gathered.

I'm not an attorney, this is not legal advice, I tried my best to do as much research that I could to bolster this (and hopefully) everyones' claim here.

Hell hath no fury like a salty bitch (me), scorned.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.46.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.46.51 PM.png
    434.7 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: aerodyne and zero2?
Got my MX back, MCU was replaced with all the expected components, and Steam works perfectly fine now.

It might be just a matter of perception, but it does “feel” snappier as well. They installed the same firmware that I had on the prior MCU, so it’s a direct comparison other than the hardware. Considering the extra RAM, I can see how that might make a difference.

They still charged me for the part, so I’m still going to try and pursue that further, but I don’t really expect anything in my favor given Tesla’s shitty track-record in customer satisfaction, so far.

Overall, I am happy I did it. 8GB vs 16GB of RAM might only be the difference between having Steam or not TODAY. But I’d like to think I just gave myself more longevity in future software updates and features that would require the same headroom.

Anyone have any game recommendations? FYI there are a number of quality free steam games that play well in the Tesla if you want to give them a try: asphalt 9 legends, apex legends, shatterline, combat master. Counter strike 2 is nice but really needs a keyboard and mouse plugged in as I found it too hard to play well with the PS5 controller.

Reactions: Daniellane
Anyone have any game recommendations? FYI there are a number of quality free steam games that play well in the Tesla if you want to give them a try: asphalt 9 legends, apex legends, shatterline, combat master. Counter strike 2 is nice but really needs a keyboard and mouse plugged in as I found it too hard to play well with the PS5 controller.
I like Witcher and have tried CS2.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx