Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a call from Tesla. asking for example times of when I have experienced the bug. On the one hand I am pleased they are taking it seriously. On the other hand I had hoped we were past the point of diagnosis and were on to a fix by now. I gave them a 2 hour window yesterday when it happened twice and they seemed happy with that. Said they were passing onto the virtual service team. Pretty sure its more of an issue for the software team TBH.
That isn't great at all, it seems like more people are having this issue than not. Worrying that they aren't aware of it. I would raise an appointment to, but already have one booked in for the end of July for something else.

Any clever person created a script of some description that will monitor the charge and restart if the rate drops? Was going to look at it today but would save me the effort if somebody else has done it

The challenge with this iteration of the bug is that, at least for me, stopping and starting via the app (or TeslaFi API) doesn't resolve the issue. A physical disconnect and reconnect is what's required. The previous times this bug manifested, a stop and restart via the app did the trick. Whatever is occurring with this latest issue is different.

FWIW - I had it happen to me again today on the 7kw charger at Costco. I noticed it on the app as I was walking around and I tried to stop and restart the charge via the app however didn't actually stop/remedy the issue. Then went out and took it out and plugged back in again for full rate.

upload_2020-6-30_16-31-0.png

That isn't great at all, it seems like more people are having this issue than not. Worrying that they aren't aware of it. I would raise an appointment to, but already have one booked in for the end of July for something else.

You can go into the notes for that appointment, add in this new text and it will flag on the virtual services's end and they'll get back to you. I've had that happen before.

I hadn’t picked up the fact that 6am was a hard coded end of cheap power ‘feature’ of the car. I was definitely using scheduled start, not end for charging. I’d set 90% as the target level but when charging stopped at 0430 only had 77%.

This is the charge profile as recorded by the Zappi.
E9932C8F-1D9C-4352-BCC5-8CC94F538960.jpeg

I’d set 90% as the target level but when charging stopped at 0430 only had 77%.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree...

The problem is with the on-board charge controller detecting voltage fluctuations and throttling.

Multiple people experience this bug across the UK *at the same time* . Usually at the start of the hour, like 3 AM or 4 AM. When sheduled things are likely to start and there is a bit of fluctiation in the grid.

Someone tweaked the sensitivity setting in the software... Nothing to do with off-peak, or sheduled departure, or auto-off of your wall charger.

Also please be aware that this might only be a UK thing. US uses a different cable, rest of Europe does 3-phase @ 16 amps AFAIK.

The problem is with the on-board charge controller detecting voltage fluctuations and throttling.
Multiple people experience this bug across the UK *at the same time* . Usually at the start of the hour, like 3 AM or 4 AM. When sheduled things are likely to start and there is a bit of fluctiation in the grid.
Someone tweaked the sensitivity setting in the software... Nothing to do with off-peak, or sheduled departure, or auto-off of your wall charger.
Also please be aware that this might only be a UK thing. US uses a different cable, rest of Europe does 3-phase @ 16 amps AFAIK.
This was my thought also initially but if it is related to this they have done more than just tweak the sensitivity. According to the manual that functionality should reduce the current by 25% not the 47% everyone is seeing and that reduced current should be remembered as the default at that location unless you manually increase it later. This is not happening either. If stopped and restarted it goes straight back to 32amp

This was my thought also initially but if it is related to this they have done more than just tweak the sensitivity. According to the manual that functionality should reduce the current by 25% not the 47% everyone is seeing and that reduced current should be remembered as the default at that location unless you manually increase it later. This is not happening either. If stopped and restarted it goes straight back to 32amp

Well, from a software engineering perspective, you can easily have a bug that is fired off from the throttling method if they added that method to a new procedure, but did not account for all outcomes.

In other words, it could be throttling but not saving it to the location. And the new procedure might be regarding temporary flctuations of the grid, not the local charging equipment. So there could be separate code to detect faulty equipment, and a new piece of code to detect grid fluctuations using the same detection method, but the grid method might not have the outcome of saving it to the location....

Anyway, this is all speculation. However, I still belive it has nothing to do with scheduling of charging or any kind of "smart" charging. Just unintended consequences of reusing peices of old code in new funtionality. It might already be fixed.

I think you're right about this being a UK specific issue. I'd even venture to say it might be related to the Model 3 only? I can't see any S or X owners having this issue in this thread. Further, if you look at TeslaFi, they seem to have stopped rolling out the 2020.24.X to any Model 3s in the UK whilst they are carrying on with S &X as well as all models in other markets with (including 3s). Further, they haven't rolled out 2020.20.12 to anyone in the UK since 16 June either. I wonder if they're trying to roll a fix into a 2020.24.X update to solve this issue before any further deployments.

Reactions: Adopado
I think you're right about this being a UK specific issue. I'd even venture to say it might be related to the Model 3 only? I can't see any S or X owners having this issue in this thread. Further, if you look at TeslaFi, they seem to have stopped rolling out the 2020.24.X to any Model 3s in the UK whilst they are carrying on with S &X as well as all models in other markets with (including 3s). Further, they haven't rolled out 2020.20.12 to anyone in the UK since 16 June either. I wonder if they're trying to roll a fix into a 2020.24.X update to solve this issue before any further deployments.
You might be onto something there, hopefully your right and this will get fixed in the next 2020.24.x update. I also agree this appears to be UK related which is why this hasn't been patched as fast as it otherwise would be if it was affecting a larger amount.

Well, from a software engineering perspective, you can easily have a bug that is fired off from the throttling method if they added that method to a new procedure, but did not account for all outcomes.

In other words, it could be throttling but not saving it to the location. And the new procedure might be regarding temporary flctuations of the grid, not the local charging equipment. So there could be separate code to detect faulty equipment, and a new piece of code to detect grid fluctuations using the same detection method, but the grid method might not have the outcome of saving it to the location....

Anyway, this is all speculation. However, I still belive it has nothing to do with scheduling of charging or any kind of "smart" charging. Just unintended consequences of reusing peices of old code in new funtionality. It might already be fixed.
I agree its a software bug which has nothing to do with scheduled charging or the charger make and model and probably relates to the charging monitoring in some way.

You might be onto something there, hopefully your right and this will get fixed in the next 2020.24.x update. I also agree this appears to be UK related which is why this hasn't been patched as fast as it otherwise would be if it was affecting a larger amount.
that would make sense and explain how it got into general release without being picked up. I am not even in the "advanced" guinea pig program. I prefer to let others beta test the code to avoid this sort of thing and I still have it :(

Just to update, after updating my existing appointment yesterday Tesla replied saying "We are currently investigating what seems to be an issue with charge rates dropping, but if you would kindly supply the date and time that his has affected your charging sessions we can certainly investigate to confirm this isn't a separate issue". At least that is some kind of acknowledgement to the problem, but doesn't sound like they have progressed far in fixing it.

• Informative
Reactions: drewpost
Just to update, after updating my existing appointment yesterday Tesla replied saying "We are currently investigating what seems to be an issue with charge rates dropping, but if you would kindly supply the date and time that his has affected your charging sessions we can certainly investigate to confirm this isn't a separate issue". At least that is some kind of acknowledgement to the problem, but doesn't sound like they have progressed far in fixing it.
I missed a call and got a text asking for dates/times & type of charger.

Whatever the problem is, it isn’t consistent. The day after my previous report, starting from a similar SoC and with the same 90% target I got the full 32A throughout the low tariff period. And the same message to say charging would finish at 6am. Which would have been about right for 90%.
0E496327-F08C-427E-BAB4-5882414AF250.jpeg

Hi all, glad I stumbled across this post, having the same issue on my 2020 M3P.

Plugged it in at work on a 32a blue commando using the portable Tesla charger and adaptor, then returned several hours later to see hardly any range had been added and charge rate dropped down to 17a. Didn’t think much of it, maybe just a voltage blip.

Got home and plugged it into my wall charger for a scheduled 00:30 charge then woke up with 4 hours of charging remaining at 17/32a!!!

Never had any problems until the 2020.20.12 update.

Interestingly I haven’t noticed any problems charging off our works 22kw chargers (11kw max charge rate for M3) so seems to just be single phase charging.

Hopefully cured with an update soon as I’ve started charging at peak rate as soon as I get home to make sure I’ve got enough range for the next day!