Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning Tesla M3 after awful delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking they I was advertised something else and was delivered something else. Clearly retuning the car is the only move here. Like I said, if Tesla could tell me why the miles are there and where they came from between Saturday and Monday, that would be a different story. But, the referral failure, scratches and overall poor pushy experience adds up to a bad experience overall with Tesla. Accept it and enjoy the car might be easy for some people, but others have expectations for a 50k car.

I also found it odd that the car had plates on it at pickup. Another reddit owned picked up from the same location yesterday.. no plates.

Reactions: neroden
I doubt most of you would be okay if you went to pick up a car that was supposed to have less than 20 miles on it (quoted at 8) to find out that it actually has 69 miles on it with scratches.

When I bought my 2017 3, it had 39 miles on it... I didn't even think about it. Pushing them for an explanation on something that seems trivial is a bit unreasonable. However, I'll give you some empathy on the scratches... that sucks. Neither you or they should consider that acceptable on a brand new car.

I took delivery of a 3 in March at Highland Park, IL that I was told had 46 miles on it. Actual odometer read 82.

This definitely raised my eyebrows and I went into this process with my eyes fully open, but ultimately I accepted. Thankfully everything has been basically perfect with the car, even the paint which surprised me the most given some people’s experiences.

• Informative
Sounds like they are quite aware of you noticing the scratches, they should make good and fix it.
As for 69 miles, who knows it ain't the end of the world, you still have a warranty.
Could be many reasons , maybe something didn't feel right and they too it on a few test rides to rule out stuff.
Maybe they drove it from another location, so you could get it sooner because it saved them time and money to put it on a flat bed.
Maybe the software corrupted because these things happen and they had to reload it and again they had to test ride it.
Really, they could have hacked into the system and reset the odometer to 0 zero miles and you would feel like you were the first one to unwrap it .

Reactions: GreenT and Akikiki
I wouldn't care too much about the miles cause they are inaccurate with mileage all the time when buying new...if its over 100 miles I get more concerned...I WOULD have a problem if the car had plates mounted on it!!!..cause if the car has been registered then its a used car in my mind and they can't sell it as new and should carry a significant discount whether it was 1000 miles or 10 miles.

The referral thing is silly who cares....the scratches as long they agreed to fix is no big deal, if they decline to fix it I'd be mad but its still you fault for taking the car without written agreement to fix it.

Just enjoy the car and don't worry about these silly things cause it won't matter in a few months anyway.,

Lastly, the dreaded joy ride isn't a issue with electric motors as it can be for high performance ICE engines where computers save redline info and such and you warranty can be voided if you don follow proper break in...this isn't the case for EV's.

I think some of the responses are a bit harsh. When you are picking up a car you are excited and it's not crazy to look past issues that in retrospect maybe should have been investigated further.

Regarding mileage, it's the principle of the thing. I would have asked for compensation or refused delivery myself. Whichever shipping agent took the car out for a road trip should be identified fired. I'm ok with giving Tesla a little more slack than other companies, but I try and think about what I would do if BMW did the same things. (my only issue was a scratched steering wheel that they pointed out and replaced and no spoiler/badging).

Sure, they can fix scratches, but that's one more hassle to deal with. Tesla needs more options to compensate for delivery failures. Not to mention that delivering a dirty car is ridiculous.

if Tesla could tell me why the miles are there and where they came from between Saturday and Monday, that would be a different story.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't care too much about the miles cause they are inaccurate with mileage all the time when buying new...if its over 100 miles I get more concerned...I WOULD have a problem if the car had plates mounted on it!!!..cause if the car has been registered then its a used car in my mind and they can't sell it as new and should carry a significant discount whether it was 1000 miles or 10 miles.

The referral thing is silly who cares....the scratches as long they agreed to fix is no big deal, if they decline to fix it I'd be mad but its still you fault for taking the car without written agreement to fix it.

Just enjoy the car and don't worry about these silly things cause it won't matter in a few months anyway.,

Lastly, the dreaded joy ride isn't a issue with electric motors as it can be for high performance ICE engines where computers save redline info and such and you warranty can be voided if you don follow proper break in...this isn't the case for EV's.

Yea, I overlooked the plates at delivery since so much else was going on. My rep is telling me all Tesla's come with plates. Is it safe to assume that is bs?

• Disagree
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I am with the OP on this, and think the responses are harsh and unjustified. Regardless of the magnitude of some of these discrepancies, the Tesla sales staff did not seem to have a good explanation for any of these issues, which when doing business with a normal company is a red flag. Couple that with the "take it or leave it" mentality and that's a recipe for an unsatisfied customer. I'm sure in many ways the OP regrets taking delivery (in hindsight especially), and at least he can return it with no harm done.

Tesla has some work to do and needs to get better in this area. And they won't get better if people like the fanboys on this forum don't start holding them accountable for their poor customer service.

I think it is important to hear stories like this so others know what to expect when going to pick up a car.

Don’t keep a car you aren’t going to be happy in. I am sorry to hear that they treated you like dirt. If it makes you feel any better, they treated me like dirt as well, but at least I got a well made tesla that I get to enjoy every day.

Tesla really needs to improve the delivery experience for customers and set the right expectiations. If you knew going in that Tesla would not do ANYTHING to help, you would have likely not taken delivery and waited for a car that was not damaged.

I think it is sort of stupid that Tesla does this to customers but that’s the situation we are in.

Thank you for sharing and letting others know!

You can contact them from the generic contact form from your Tesla Account Page or you can try the main phone line.

That's generally pointless. I have been fighting with them for something they promised for 6 months with nothing but lies and deflection. Even after a long fight over something I had in writing they still have not come through after admitting error. 30 plus hours wasted and dozens of emails and calls. Tesla CS is completely useless for resolving issues that they don't like or that take more than 30 seconds. Front line people are powerless and managers ignore requests and close them.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and GreenT
I am with the OP on this, and think the responses are harsh and unjustified. Regardless of the magnitude of some of these discrepancies, the Tesla sales staff did not seem to have a good explanation for any of these issues, which when doing business with a normal company is a red flag. Couple that with the "take it or leave it" mentality and that's a recipe for an unsatisfied customer. I'm sure in many ways the OP regrets taking delivery (in hindsight especially), and at least he can return it with no harm done.

Tesla has some work to do and needs to get better in this area. And they won't get better if people like the fanboys on this forum don't start holding them accountable for their poor customer service.

Very true, I am a multi Tesla owner and significant share holder and not happy in the incompetence I see and hear about daily. Most of this is avoidable but it all trickles down from the top and when those at the top don't set standards nothing will change. I have been though good deliveries with friends and far too many bad ones.

I could not agree more.

I think it is important to hear stories like this so others know what to expect when going to pick up a car.

Don’t keep a car you aren’t going to be happy in. I am sorry to hear that they treated you like dirt. If it makes you feel any better, they treated me like dirt as well, but at least I got a well made tesla that I get to enjoy every day.

Tesla really needs to improve the delivery experience for customers and set the right expectiations. If you knew going in that Tesla would not do ANYTHING to help, you would have likely not taken delivery and waited for a car that was not damaged.

I think it is sort of stupid that Tesla does this to customers but that’s the situation we are in.

Thank you for sharing and letting others know!

You are correct. I had more faith in Tesla than I should have.

Regarding the plates, I put the order in for the car on Saturday and it had plates by Monday for delivery. That seems impossible

Hope you're not labeling me a fanboy (read any of my previous posts)... though I agree with you. Tesla treats us like dirt, and expects us to like it and smile... I've had horrible delivery experiences myself (and bad service, support, sales, etc).

However, anyone who's been on this forum should already have that expectation... I just noticed the OP recently joined, so I'll give him a partial pass. However a little bit of homework could have tempered his expectations or at least helped him navigate the experience.

That said, I still think the miles thing is trivial...

• Love
Reactions: neroden and vickh
I don't think you're being unreasonable. You have good reason to question why the car has any more than the delivery miles.

OP said it had 8 miles and asked them to take it to his closer delivery location 20 miles away; (8+20) - 61 = 33 mile discrepancy.

Considering how disorganized they already are... do we really think they're logging records on when they do road tests, detailing or maybe had to take it to an SC for a minor fix?

Asking why there are more miles is not unreasonable... however demanding an explanation for a minor discrepancy (and possibly having an attitude about it)... it's not something to get upset about (IMO).

Scratches - yes, I too would be upset. I've found issues upon delivery, and refused to drive it off the lot until it was resolved. OP chose to take delivery...

Reactions: GreenT
I also found it odd that the car had plates on it at pickup. Another reddit owned picked up from the same location yesterday.. no plates.
Any other folks taking delivery in Chicago have some thoughts on this?

I'm in WA, and been through multiple custom (1, 4, 5) and inventory new (2, 3) purchase rounds (see my Signature). None of them had plates.

• Informative

I'm in WA, and been through multiple custom (1, 4, 5) and inventory new (2, 3) purchase rounds (see my Signature). None of them had plates.

I don't know about IL, however CA recently passed a law (effective Jan 1, 2019) which requires plates on all new vehicles. If the permanent plates are not immediately available; dealerships are required to print a temporary plate on DMV spec paper (with the assigned number) and mount the plate on the car. Window stickers are no longer allowed. No more "Zero Emissions" plates... driving without a plate is punishable up to felony.

I am thinking they I was advertised something else and was delivered something else. Clearly retuning the car is the only move here. Like I said, if Tesla could tell me why the miles are there and where they came from between Saturday and Monday, that would be a different story. But, the referral failure, scratches and overall poor pushy experience adds up to a bad experience overall with Tesla. Accept it and enjoy the car might be easy for some people, but others have expectations for a 50k car.

Demanding an explanation for 61 miles of unaccounted-for driving shows you major in minor issues. If you keep the car for 100,000 miles, those 61 mystery miles represent 0.0006 of your total ownership miles. And $35 worth of charging for a $50k car? Do you really want to "die on the hill"?

Plates on the car are a blessing. One less thing for you to worry about (with your busy schedule).

The scratches on the paint are a different story. Not seeing the scratch, I assume it is bad and Tesla should do something to accommodate you. BTW, My brand new M3 came with visible scratches on the chrome trim piece above the driver's side door. I assumed those scratches were due to transport (I didn't ask). I decided I wanted the car more than a minor scratch and accepted delivery.

Best of luck sorting it out (or turning it in).

I picked up my car at Westmont SC as well last year, without any issues. I wish Tesla service was as good as the cars they make...