Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning Tesla M3 after awful delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I had an extremely underwhelming delivery experience and will be returning the car. On Friday I was offered an incentive of free paint upgrade if I could take delivery by Monday. This required a lot of jumping through hoops on my end to make work (2 week old newborn, prep trade in, take off from work for afternoon delivery, etc). At the time of order I gave the sales rep a referral code and was told the vehicle had 8 miles on it. From a Tesla perspective, this should have been a cake walk. Apply referral and transport car from 15 miles away to another Tesla location so i could pick it up.

At delivery, I discovered that the car had 69 miles on it, the referral code was not applied and the car was dirty and had scratches on the front fender. I raised all of these as red flags and asked for an explanation on how the car went from 8 miles to 69 miles. The delivery team and sales rep had no explanation. Additionally they could not add the referral code and said they will try to get Tesla to approve it after I sign the paperwork. I asked to delay delivery by a day so I could get this done correctly prior and so I could also receive an proper explanation about the miles or get matched to a different car. The rep told me that I would lose out on incentive and should accept the car as is.

I explained how other car companies would make this right on the spot but that was dismissed by the Tesla team. I regretfully signed and took the car home, unhappy. They did not care. To make matters worse I traded in a car.

After this awful experience, I reached out to the sales rep and delivery team to let them know I would be returning the car but wanted to give Tesla a chance to make the situation right .I was quickly told my a sales manager that Tesla would rather me return the car instead of providing me some type of compensation.

I feel extremely let down by Tesla. Returning the Tesla will not get me my trade in back and they denied my request to swap for another car pre and post delivery. This is by far the worst car buying expert I have ever had.

Is there a way to contact Tesla Corporate?

1st world problems. (2 week old newborn, prep trade in, take off from work for afternoon delivery, etc) I have 3 kids to manage, imagine prepping a car with 3 kids that treat the back seats like a mud room, do you think you're the only person that has to work?

what kind of compensation were you expecting? You have a free of charge paint already.

People need to be a little more grateful, there are many situations that can't be controlled. I used to work at a dealership, some cars will have more mileage on it, some cars will have scratched or swirl marks on it. As long as it's rectified, carry on with life.

...and asked for an explanation on how the car went from 8 miles to 69 miles. The delivery team and sales rep had no explanation.

+61 miles seems rather insignificant; or are you thinking they took it on a Ferris Bueller type joyride?

giphy.gif

All that text and you don't even state exactly what you want. how is the car not what you wanted? will they fix it?

I think maybe they know to call people;s bluff to return and that will actually be hard for them because the damn thing is so much fun to drive that it usually overcomes any real or perceived slight that is concerning the buyer.

All that text and you don't even state exactly what you want. how is the car not what you wanted? will they fix it?

I think maybe they know to call people;s bluff to return and that will actually be hard for them because the damn thing is so much fun to drive that it usually overcomes any real or perceived slight that is concerning the buyer.

I wonder how many actual returns.. What does Tesla do with these? I'd love to buy them @ discount if not titled used.

Reactions: 1 person
Hard to judge the situation without all the details. I assume they offered a due bill to fix the scratches? Granted that is not ideal but at least you know it will be fixed. The extra 60 miles are pretty insignificant. Even if they offered you the typical $0.75 cents per mile as a price adjustment, you’re talking about under $50. Same with the referral code, not a big deal. I definitely can understand your frustration though, all these small things add up and ruin the excitement of taking delivery of a new car. I think what was most disappointing was their indifferent attitude. I had even worse issues on delivery but they apologized and threw in some freebies to make it right. Unfortunately, when you take delivery, you lose all leverage.

I have brought this up on here before, Tesla’s uncompromising position on not offering discounts to offset issues found at delivery is baffling. Not only will slight discounts be much cheaper than fixing the problem itself, it will be a boost in customer satisfaction knowing they were compensated for the shortcomings as opposed to being pressured into accepting something and kicking the can to their service center. They would significantly decrease the number of rejects and reduce the ill will generated by these experiences.

Isn't the value of the free charging on the referral code something trivial like $35? I've often wondered why even bother?
It comes out to about $70 - $80.
But it can be submitted by the salesperson.
I am still waiting for mine to be applied and I received confirmation email from Tesla that it is being processed and will take 2-4 weeks.

Reactions: destructure00
Two things. First off, you don't accept delivery if the car is not to your satisfaction. That's on you - nobody else. You can complain about the scratches, miles, etc but you signed off. Second - on the other hand, if it was me and I'm buying a brand new car, the most miles you would see on a new car would be 12-15 miles, NOT 69. And if it had scratches, something's wrong with this picture. I'd be furious. Then again, I'd refuse delivery and contact someone pretty high up. There is no excuse for Tesla delivering a vehicle that obviously was not brand new, but there was no excuse for you to accept delivery of that vehicle.

This sounds like a car that someone else already rejected. Did a few miles on it, probably to the service centre, bad paintwork and other unknown faults.

Dodgy companies often do this - if something gets returned just give it to another customer, and another, and another until one of them accepts the defects.

The stories of people getting cars that aren’t clean are mystifying. Doesn’t Car Delivery 101 start with “wash it”?

If you take a $1000 incentive to take an inventory car, I don’t find the 70 miles to be unreasonable. The referral thing took a few days after I asked to get applied. Invisible to me, but my buddy’s account eventually showed 1 person using his code.

Scratches, unfortunately, seem to happen on some of their cars. They should agree to fix it. Hopefully they will rather than have you actually return it!

If you don’t have any other issues in the first week, I wouldn’t return it unless they actually refuse to fix the paint. Hard to imagine they would, but you’d think they could clean a car too so who knows?

Some of these responses are amazing and show absolutely no remorse. I doubt most of you would be okay if you went to pick up a car that was supposed to have less than 20 miles on it (quoted at 8) to find out that it actually has 69 miles on it with scratches. The delivery team offered me nothing other than a detail which I more or less laughed at because they said they detailed it before I got there.

I'd figure the Tesla family would be more accommodating to try to help a new owner feel welcome and resolve a bad experience, yet most of you reject my frustrations and put the blame on me.

I regret signing the paperwork but I felt forced by Tesla which isn't a tactic I thought they used. Stating I would lose my incentive price by rejecting delivery or delaying delivery because of Tesla issues is nonsense. I signed the paperwork in hopes they would make the situation right, which they aren't going to do. I can return the car so it's not the end like stated above. It is on me for signing the paperwork and normal me never would have (like what happened at Volvo) but I'm sleep deprived, had the baby with me and the wholewhole r experience, last minute sales rep push tactic led to my mistake.

It's laughable that Tesla doesn't know where those miles came from. It all feels dodgy to me.

The locations in question are Westmont and Grand Tesla. Less than 20 miles apsrt

Last edited: