Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning Tesla M3 after awful delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before or when they accept the car back on return, make sure they write down for you or otherwise place in writing for you the amount that the refund will be. That way, the delivery staff member, assistant manager, or manager you are working with cannot tell you an amount verbally and then Tesla give you a lower amount several weeks later when they finally give you your money back.

Reactions: jbrady3324
Car companies won't refuse to sell their cars. 60-70 miles on the car does not sound like a deal breaker to me. Some Tesla sites like mine are dealing with opposition. Here cars had to be relocated between lots. Could it be similar in your area? Can they not provide a loaner during repairs?
This is a relatively new company dealing with political issues, you can't even buy the car in some states! If this was happening to Kia or Ford I'm sure they would have the same inconsistency. My experiences buying new ICE vehicles were never great. Is there a local Tesla owners group in your area? Maybe reaching out would help. Sounds like you wanted the car that's why you took it. I would give Tesla a chance to make things right while you use their loaner. If you really think this was a mistake, then return and move on. Up to you. Best of luck.

if no one at your service center is telling you this, Musk tweeted, and I found this on TheVerge.com Tesla has changed its return policy after CEO Elon Musk tweeted contradictory statements about how it works. The company told The Verge that the change was already in the works on Wednesday in response to questions about the tweet. Buyers will now be able to return a car within seven days (or before 1,000 miles) for a full refund regardless of whether or not they have taken a test drive with the company, contrary to the language that was on the company’s website before Wednesday.

That was dated March 27th, 2019, and true Tesla fashion the left hand doesn't know what the right foot is doing. Do what is right for you!

I think you got caught in the end of month delivery rush. I ordered my M3 on a Saturday at the end of March and the sales rep who test drove with me found an identical build except with DM for an extra $1,500 which they could deliver the next day. I specifically asked if it was undriven and what the mileage was. I was told 24. It was delivered the next day by a guy who was obviously pressed into service to push out units for Q1 reporting. He had no clue about transferring my vanity tag or setting up the car (WiFi, etc). It had one tiny scratch that I figured would buff out and 154 miles, which was annoying but in the scheme of things not a big deal. It took a couple weeks for the referral code to hit my account.

My delivery experience was golden compared to some and it hasn’t impacted my enjoyment of the car. That said, a brand new car delivered with permanent plates is a purple squirrel-doesn’t occur IRL but can be accomplished with deceit. That deceit is the issue - it’s obviously preowned and they needed to tell you its provenance so you could make an informed decision.

Good luck on Monday.

Clearly OPS experienced the end-of-quarter sales push that resulted in many 'unqualified' delivery staff having contact with customers resulting in a bad experience which Elon Musk hopes will not happen again (ha ha) as they try to level out deliveries in the next few quarters. Unfortunately, we're talking about humans here and not every human that works at Tesla is going to be enthusiastic or diligent when doing their job.

As others have pointed out, the biggest issue is the tag on the car. This would mean it has been titled in your state and the title is being transferred to you, otherwise it would have had temporary tags. Clearly, someone on the sales team is NOT being truthful about the origins of that car!

Cars that are used for demos are always going to have more miles on them by the time you pick them up. Mine had 450 miles after it was driven from another location and was clearly used for test drives. 2015 - Model S 70D. That should be expected and is no big deal especially since the buyer is given a discount for the usage.

New car and used car buyers know that dealers or in Tesla's case, stores are suppose to give you an 'I OWE YOU' listing all of the defects found at the time of sale which is used as a promissory note to guarantee these items will be fixed after purchase at no charge to the buyer. ALWAYS get it in writing!!

Anyone using this forum knows that email response times from Tesla at all levels is horrendous and therefore should NOT expect quick response or any response at all. It is sad but true. In recent months in my region the responses have been much improved for service appointments with the mobile unit.

And last but not least, again, as others have pointed out, regardless of what the sales pressures were on you, in the end it is your decision to say NO if you are not satisfied at the time of purchase and walk away. As I've learned from over 50 years of buying and selling cars, the walk away often results in wonderful special offers. :)

OMG... really really you are bitching about 69 miles or whatever.. mine was supposed to have 8 when I got it it was 52... did I whine... no I checked the paint job and the panels for gaps etc...found some minor things... they said if I wasn’t happy that I could wait but I got my detail guy to correct paint.
I am just not sure what your complaining about... and who takes a baby newborn to a car dealership.. really I’m sure you were more irritated by the baby than the car... I wanted time to quietly review my car.. they pulled it into a internal drive with lights so I could spend the time I needed.. no rush no pressure...dude it was your fault. You shouldn’t have signed for it but I’m guessing you got a deal with upgraded paint etc.

OMG... really really you are bitching about 69 miles or whatever.. mine was supposed to have 8 when I got it it was 52... did I whine... no I checked the paint job and the panels for gaps etc...found some minor things... they said if I wasn’t happy that I could wait but I got my detail guy to correct paint.
I am just not sure what your complaining about... and who takes a baby newborn to a car dealership.. really I’m sure you were more irritated by the baby than the car... I wanted time to quietly review my car.. they pulled it into a internal drive with lights so I could spend the time I needed.. no rush no pressure...dude it was your fault. You shouldn’t have signed for it but I’m guessing you got a deal with upgraded paint etc.

Did Tesla hire you to post that?

Never did I say I brought the newborn to Tesla. And Tesla declined fixing the issues right there and kept stating I would lose my 1k incentive if I did not sign.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVDRVN and MP3Mike
I have purchased prob 30 cars in my days and I have never bought a new car with real plates on it...they always have the paper temporary paper plates they tape to windows that lasts for a month ...if it had real plates on the car that's an issue imho...I would not be happy...you should have never taken possession of that car if it had a real plate on it...you get plates from your DMV when you register your car and reg fee or taxes depending on whether your state has sales tax or not.
It depend on the state. Dealers in MD have real plates on hand.

Then you shouldn’t have taken the car.. Any of you that took the car were fools. When I arrived to pick up my car I told my delivery advisor that I had heard of all the issues at delivery and I wasn’t signing until I had a through look at my car. They were extremely understanding and professional about it.
They offered to fix anything that I found or rejected delivery it was up to me.
I had no incentive to lose so it was up to you to decide it the 1K was worth it. Again you are a responsible adult?

It's definitely a reject. Someone else has said no, they looked around for the next sap to try to palm it off on to. Now it's a double reject and I bet they will have a third go.

In cases like this posting the VIN is a good idea, to warn other owners.
And you know this how? Dealers routinely let people test drive cars. This is not a new phenomenon.

Some of these responses are amazing and show absolutely no remorse. I doubt most of you would be okay if you went to pick up a car that was supposed to have less than 20 miles on it (quoted at 8) to find out that it actually has 69 miles on it with scratches. The delivery team offered me nothing other than a detail which I more or less laughed at because they said they detailed it before I got there.

I'd figure the Tesla family would be more accommodating to try to help a new owner feel welcome and resolve a bad experience, yet most of you reject my frustrations and put the blame on me.

I regret signing the paperwork but I felt forced by Tesla which isn't a tactic I thought they used. Stating I would lose my incentive price by rejecting delivery or delaying delivery because of Tesla issues is nonsense. I signed the paperwork in hopes they would make the situation right, which they aren't going to do. I can return the car so it's not the end like stated above. It is on me for signing the paperwork and normal me never would have (like what happened at Volvo) but I'm sleep deprived, had the baby with me and the wholewhole r experience, last minute sales rep push tactic led to my mistake.

It's laughable that Tesla doesn't know where those miles came from. It all feels dodgy to me.

The locations in question are Westmont and Grand Tesla. Less than 20 miles apsrt

First off congrats on the new baby. Maybe being sleep deprived put you in a bad mood and having a newborn with you while trying to talk to the staff probably not the best situation.

Still working my way through the pages on the thread.

I know you feel some people here haven't been supportive but I think they are giving their honest opinion and you just don't want to hear it. I personally would not be as upset as you are at the mileage. I don't think Tesla was being dodgy and doubt the store staff knows everywhere the car was driven. Simple as that. You do seem fixated on knowing the answer. Delivered cars state 50 miles on the Monroney sticker to account for testing and transport mileage. Were you asking for something like $1/mile over? I've heard owners get something like this for overage when the car was a demo car but then usually this was done with there were hundreds of miles on it. Other than the mileage and scratches (which can and does happen to all cars being delivered--just that Tesla corrects for this after delivery generally) was the car otherwise fine?

When you aren't placing a custom order online where you can type in your referral code at time of entry, for inventory cars the store staff doesn't apply the referral code but sends in a request for it to be applied which is done internally at Telsa. As for the scratches, I would ask those to have been fixed under a Due Bill if further detailing didn't remove them. I've read in some cases people have said they were taken care by delivery staff. I had a few dust paint spots on my new Model 3 and agreed to have them covered under the Due Bill and was very pleased with the outcome. Whether one is willing to have due bill work done or not is up to the buyer at the time of inspection. Have to say it sounds like you expected Tesla to offer up free stuff beyond the paint upgrade color and since they didn't you don't want the car any longer. Personally I love my car and driving it is fun and unlike anything else I have owned or driven. The issues you have mentioned would not have stopped me from keeping the car.

....The plates on the car are real plates that are screwed into the car. Tesla is telling me they pre-register the car so you have plates at delivery. Then I look at this reddit post (same pickup location as me) Took delivery today- 4 weeks early! M3 LR AWD with FSD. Thrilled to be apart of the club : TeslaModel3 and he has no plates!

When I attempt a carfax report (prior to paying) it says there are 0 history records. Does that mean there are no prior owners?

Do the plates look like this? Temporary Registration Permits (TRP)s
If so it says they are distributed by licensed vehicle dealers...and guessing Tesla is one of the places that can get them and put on the cars for delivery.

Do the plates look like this? Temporary Registration Permits (TRP)s
If so it says they are distributed by licensed vehicle dealers...and guessing Tesla is one of the places that can get them and put on the cars for delivery.

Nope, they are real metal Illinois plates. I did some research (via a reddit post) for recent Illinois deliveries and it looks like Tesla stores do have real metal plates on hand HOWEVER no one had their plates on the car at delivery and the few that did, the front plate was not on the car. In my case, both plates were on the car before I arrived. This is what has led me to the conclude that my car is a reject/return. I am willing to bet the car was returned quickly because of the rattle that is happening somewhere in the dash.

After page 1 I just scrolled through pages 2-6 to see if there were any thumbnails I could click on to see the scratches. Someone might have already asked but if not and if you still have the car can you share pics of the scratches? Please disregard if this has been asked and answered:)

#TooLazyToRead #NeedMoreAdderall

Reactions: jbrady3324
It's definitely a reject. Someone else has said no, they looked around for the next sap to try to palm it off on to. Now it's a double reject and I bet they will have a third go.

In cases like this posting the VIN is a good idea, to warn other owners.

Totally possible that the car (who knows if custom order or meant for inventory) might have been rejected at delivery or shortly after or simply switched out for another car. So many accounts of people on TMC deciding to switch what they had ordered for another color, different wheels, different battery pack, etc. and sometimes for scratches etc. So saying that it's being passed to the next sap and palming it off is really uncalled for and assuming facts that aren't in evidence.

As far as posting the VIN of a car that was in inventory and may or may not be kept by OP (haven't gotten to end of thread yet) not sure what that signifies. From what I've read it's not like OP has stated there is something majorly wrong with this car and a dash rattle is likely a simple fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Nope, they are real metal Illinois plates. I did some research (via a reddit post) for recent Illinois deliveries and it looks like Tesla stores do have real metal plates on hand HOWEVER no one had their plates on the car at delivery and the few that did, the front plate was not on the car. In my case, both plates were on the car before I arrived. This is what has led me to the conclude that my car is a reject/return. I am willing to bet the car was returned quickly because of the rattle that is happening somewhere in the dash.

Isn't the bolded text above contradictory?

Maybe someone had some time getting ready for your delivery, had the paperwork ready to go and put both plates on the car which ideally should happen if its being sold. This is different that what Calif. is doing right now -- just paper plates at time of delivery, but now required. Just because others didn't have both plates put on their cars at delivery doesn't mean that your team did something wrong. In fact it's my understanding that Illinois requires both front and rear plates be displayed.

BTW found it interesting that Illinois has a legislative proposal to go with only one plate, on the rear of the car only, to save money. Police not happy. Police object to only one license plate on Illinois vehicles

Last edited:
Dealers let people drive other customer's cars?!?

I'd never buy from a dealer that let some rando drive my brand new car! And I'd reject it if they did!
It’s not your car until it’s paid for. There is also no telling whether the car the OP was initially assigned was the one that showed up. Regardless, a car with 60 miles on is definitely considered new unless it was actually registered at the DMV by a previous owner.

Picked up my M3 LR RWD in late September 2018 from the Vancouver Powell street location. Also had a bad delivery experience, thorugh I kept it.

Car was 3 hours late, 50% charged, arrived dirty ionside and out with patches of white overspray, surface scuffing, paint defects, pulled thread on the front speaker bar behind steering wheel, and passenger seat cover stitching issues -- also had ~100km on it (but that didn't really matter too much to me).

They buffed the scuffing out before I drove it away, though I discovered more paint issues the next day when it wasn't dark and rainy.

Took about a month to get a bodyshop appointment to fix the front fender paint job (3rd party through Tesla), they kept the car for 8 days, and they returned it with a badly scuffed hood and chewed up rear right wheel that had been curbed hard.

They take no responsibility for the wheel and said that I can't prove that I didn't curb it myself, and refused to do anything further. They also disconnected my front/rear dash cameras when they got the car for repairs, so I can't prove they did it either.

The hood is waiting to be buffed out (they recommended I wait until after winter for the full exterior detailing), and still waiting on a seat cover replacement.

I like the car, but I can't say I'd recommend Tesla customer service.

View attachment 401009 View attachment 400998

Lesson here and can be applied to any time you take your car in for service, Tesla or some other dealership, walk your car at drop off and video tape. Just like a car rental company does, have them indicate any dents or scratches they don't want to be responsible for. We had a Toyota dealership initially try to insuate that the nice dent on the passenger side door at time of pickup for servicing was something the car was brought in with on it. They found their lot surveillance footage showing it was one of their car handlers who did it. No apology, just said the handler was a good employee and made a mistake and should have told them what had happened to our car during the shuffling of cars around the lot.

Last edited:
....My delivery experience was golden compared to some and it hasn’t impacted my enjoyment of the car. That said, a brand new car delivered with permanent plates is a purple squirrel-doesn’t occur IRL but can be accomplished with deceit. That deceit is the issue - it’s obviously preowned and they needed to tell you its provenance so you could make an informed decision.

Good luck on Monday.

OP later stated that apparently Tesla does have official permanent plates at his store they can put on the cars at delivery. OPs in Illinois, and California is a world away in many ways, only paper plates here now. :)