Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reusing Boosters: Launch, Land, and Re-Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
His tweets about taking Tesla private that forced Nasdaq to stop TSLA trading for a period of time.
Nothing crazy about the strategy of taking Tesla private. I own TSLA and will vote in favor of that proposal.

The rationale is sound. I liked his comparison to SpaceX, quote: “I fundamentally believe that we are at our best when everyone is focused on executing, when we can remain focused on our long-term mission, and when there are not perverse incentives for people to try to harm what we’re all trying to achieve. This is especially true for a company like Tesla that has a long-term, forward-looking mission. SpaceX is a perfect example: it is far more operationally efficient, and that is largely due to the fact that it is privately held.“

And now we are off topic for this thread. Let’s get back to “launch, land and relaunch”! :)

Reactions: Grendal
Does anyone know where the B1050 scheduled for December 15 is expected to land?

B1050 is apparently scheduled to be used for the GPS III launch. Those are very light payloads for F9 at 5000 lbs to 8000 lbs. So I would expect to see a RTLS happen. It's an East Coast launch from SLC-40 (possibly LC-39A), so the booster will come back to LZ-1 if it is a RTLS.

Since this is the booster thread. The following Block 5 boosters have been seen:

B1046 through B1049 have been launched, recovered, and in one case reused and awaiting further reuse
B1050 is at the Cape
B1051 is also at the Cape - This is scheduled for DM-1
B1052 was tested at McGregor
B1053 currently being tested at McGregor

So SpaceX currently has eight boosters in their fleet of Block 5s. My prediction is they end the year with ten.

Last edited:
A great little short video on SpaceX's twitter feed about reuse.
SpaceX on Twitter

Edit: Just noticed my prediction in the previous post. I was wrong. SpaceX is finishing the year with 11 Block 5 cores! B1046 through B1056. With 2 cores noticeably made as boosters for the next Falcon Heavy.
Pretty cool video. I hope it eventually becomes feature-length. :)

B1046 now needs to land at an LZ. Then the other LZs. Then maybe be part of a Heavy launch, why not. IT CAN DO IT ALL!

• Funny
Reactions: adiggs
Come to think of it: 1046 had three launches in about 6 months this year. If all goes well, it might hit 10 total launches in 2019. Then we'll see how that major refurbish goes and have a good idea of the feasibility of hitting 100 lifetime launches per booster.
(I've not looked at the launch manifest or market forces here, but am optimistic)

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc and Grendal
With SpaceX scrub, NASA again demonstrates commitment to innovation — Ars Technica

In short, NASA accepted a 24 hour delay on CRS-17 to allow SpaceX to fix an electrical issue on the drone ship that would have meant the loss of the booster, had it launched on Friday night. NASA did not have to accept that but they did, as they wanted to re-use this booster on the next two CRS missions. Contract does not require re-use, so this as a pretty big statement by NASA. This may not be your dad’s NASA anymore.

And let us not forget how “load-and-go” was perceived a few short years ago. Re-use was definitely being treated like this in the past:
Ars said:
As early as 2015, the influential chair of NASA's Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel, Apollo astronaut Thomas Stafford, warned the agency: “There is a unanimous, and strong, feeling by the committee that scheduling the crew to be on board the Dragon spacecraft prior to loading oxidizer into the rocket is contrary to booster safety criteria that has been in place for over 50 years, both in this country and internationally."

Nice work in that Wikipedia page with plenty of graphs: List of Falcon 9 first-stage boosters - Wikipedia

Like this one about turnaround times:
A4CA364D-A6E3-4398-BD46-F69AAB30FE91.jpeg

But the real question is: who will be the firs to launch 4 times? I personally still have a soft spot for 1046 (the first one to 3 launches). It is slated to be sacrificed to the Launch Abort Test, which might end its run.
But! 1049 is also at three. 1048 will be at 3 in a few days and the rookie (started in May of this year!) 1056 is scheduled to do its third trip up this December, the third CRS mission in a row serviced by that new kid on the block (5)... ;-)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc