Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reusing Boosters: Launch, Land, and Re-Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grendal thanks for the extra information. That makes recovering the fairings about 3x more economical than the upper stage.
But what I said (still very wrong) was that the fairing vs second stage price ratio, not that the fairing was 25% of the whole rocket.

Reactions: Grendal
It was mentioned during the CRS-13 webcast that SpaceX will no longer "clean" used boosters other than what is necessary to allow for the next launch. So we will see a lot more "sooty" boosters in future launches.
I think that is fantastic. And will help market their novel approach to the world! Mainstream media, when showing images of the launchpad will be obliged to explain why the rocket is “dirty”.

Agreed, I think it is a smart move by SpaceX because it serves to emphasize the “flight proven” nature of the rocket. It will make people think.

Cars, planes, trains aren’t always clean and shiny new. They’re used. And they serve their purpose. Same with rockets.
Not to mention the cost savings. It may not be much on SpaceX scale, but I’m sure it’s still a nice chunk of change to wash (and then possibly repaint) a rocket.

So, my question is if SpaceX is going to use a doubly flight proven launcher for their initial test communications satellite launch? They're supposed to start doing that next year I believe. It would significantly lower the launch cost I'd think.

I moved your question here to respond.

The first test Starlink satellites will happen on the Paz launch in January. Your larger question is about reuse and SpaceX is making their finalized design F9 with long term reuse in mind. It is the Block 5 version and it will appear sometime very early next year.

There are lots of details on the Block 5 design upthread here. It's most noticeable feature will be a new design to the landing legs. The new design will not need to be removed for transport.

SpaceX just finished testing their 400th Merlin. Here is an Instagram of that engine being tested:
Instagram post by SpaceX • Dec 21, 2017 at 1:57am UTC
The SpaceX team recently completed production on our 400th Merlin 1D engine—the latest iteration of SpaceX’s rocket engine that powers Falcon 9 to space. To date, SpaceX’s Merlin engines have been fired over 440 times on orbital missions and over 5,600 times in test and launch. This represents over 396,000 seconds of engine firing, enough to launch ~8 million pounds—or the equivalent of 7 International Space Stations—into orbit.

During Elon's post FH press conference, he mentions that Block 5 should be launched "in a couple months." He also talked about Fairing version 2. So there must be a new design to the fairing which makes them easier to recover coming. The titanium grid fins are very expensive.

A focus on Brownsville for reusable BFR testing.
The sound on that interview was pretty poor.
Brownsville? I thought he was saying "Roswell"!
And I wondered why no-one was laughing!

Matt Desch let the cat out of the bag on twitter and confirmed that Iridium 6 will also be on a flight proven booster. Someone asked if it was the Zuma booster and he pretty much confirmed it.

So the rundown for this year is currently 4 used boosters to only 3 new ones. For the next semi-scheduled launches, we'll have 4 flight proven and only 2 new boosters. So if everything goes as planned then by the end of April SpaceX will have launched a lot more flight proven boosters than new ones: 8 used to 5 new. That sets a big precedent that flight proven boosters are the future.

SpaceX is going to attempt a second stage recovery:
Elon Musk on Twitter
This is going to sound crazy but...
SpaceX will try to bring rocket upper stage back from orbital velocity using a giant party balloon.

I think he means some sort of mylar-like heat shield.

This information contradicts everything else said from SpaceX that the second stage will be sent beyond Earth orbit.

Last edited:
tweet.png

• Informative