Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple makes up ~75-80% of the north American market for smartphones (slides a bit higher for android in Canada than the USA )
Worldwide *smartphone* use is still largely apple in more affluent countries, and android in other countries. Business users HEAVILY skew towards apple in NA.

Android is also bigger outside of the pure smartphone category and many in the business look a the metrics with a grain of salt as it is hard to pick out which is a smartphone and which is a different android device. All qualified evidence points to android being between 60-70% of the general worldwide market, with iOS being ~70% in "first world" countries. Android dominates where price becomes the major driver. It also means the phones are... substandard.

Yes I know, this is overly pedantic, but it is what it is.

As for the comparison, Tesla is IMO a more successful BlackBerry. Great product, does what it says on the tin mostly, and is well ahead of its competition. The biggest issue BlackBerry had was they were convinced they were better than everyone else and were slow at new products *cough*cybertruck*cough and each of their new products were released about two years late. Look at BB 10, or even the playbook and the lack of features/timing to transition to 10.

Tesla is better situated and I think doing a better job than BlackBerry did. They had the BlackBerry messenger, which locked everyone into their framework. When they needed to pivot and bring in computers or other ways to tie into BBM, they failed at it. People hit the wall on apps and waiting on OS, then started jumping ship. Tesla has the charging system, but realized they CAN'T force people to choose, open it up to others to maintain the branding and income. So you continue relevance.

Releasing updated versions, like the highland, is key to keeping the pressure and market ownership high. Apple does a FANTASTIC job of release schedule and hitting the customer needs. Tesla is.. ok. Hopefully they will get better as they continue to get their build process more and more locked down.
Tesla is blackberry? OMG! I hope you are planning on selling your Tesla (if you have one) and getting the Apple car! Should have great software. When is it coming out? I can't remember. . .

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
...once the model 3 revamp rolls out, there will be a good amount of existing model 3 owners that will be upgrading to the new one.

Who says the refresh will be an upgrade? What if it's about incorporating production efficiencies and decontenting various items - like shifter and turn signal stalks, for example - to boost profits?

If so, I'll be content with my '22 Model 3 for quite a while.

I have a Jan 2023 and I’m content
Just happy a refresh will help stay competitive
Imagine LR of 400 miles USA rated
Wow, that would shut the Ioniq6 noise
Imagine the current - just released - LR was cut down to 333 miles EPA from the previous 358 miles EPA and only barely more than the 310 miles EPA when the LR launched in 2018…. So yeah… Tesla isn’t going to roll out a 400 miles EPA Model 3 LR anytime soon…

Who says the refresh will be an upgrade? What if it's about incorporating production efficiencies and decontenting various items - like shifter and turn signal stalks, for example - to boost profits?

If so, I'll be content with my '22 Model 3 for quite a while.
Yup. Losing signal stalks and shifter is a huge downgrade for me … ventilated seats aren’t compensating for that.

Now if the highland has a state of the art 360 birdseye view, ventilated seats, 350+ miles of range and upgraded audio, display… then we are talking. I’m either case I wouldn’t want to get a new version first and let them iron out kinks for 6+ months first …

Yup. Losing signal stalks and shifter is a huge downgrade for me … ventilated seats aren’t compensating for that.

Now if the highland has a state of the art 360 birdseye view, ventilated seats, 350+ miles of range and upgraded audio, display… then we are talking. I’m either case I wouldn’t want to get a new version first and let them iron out kinks for 6+ months first …
360 Birdseye view is most welcome. If only they would get started already. Third quarter might mean September though.

That’s better than the current Model S! But hey why not! I’ll be buying another 3 if that’s on the plate. Where will I sign up?

...if the highland has a state of the art 360 birdseye view, ventilated seats, 350+ miles of range and upgraded audio, display… then we are talking.
Not for me - none of those additions would overcome the ridiculousness of button-operated turn signals and gear selection, especialy when the company parts bin already has perfectly capable and familiar alternatives available.

If the stalks go away my next new car will be a Volvo.

Reactions: Perscitus
All this complaining by members of the Forum completely misses a huge point. What if this refreshed Model 3, despite all of its warts (such as the removal of control stalks Etc) sells in a dual motor version for $40,000- that's $32,500 after Federal incentives and tax credits. This is a dual motor car with 0 to 60 in around 4 seconds, with at least 330 miles of range, possibly more, for for a price that no one else can even approach in terms of range and performance or for that matter Driving Experience. Do you think that there's any serious competition for that vehicle out there anywhere in the next two years? If you do please share. And please let's not talk about the "upcoming" GM platform because GM has only proven that they are all talk and no production. And Ford is pretty much admitting that they can't compete with Tesla. At least they get points for honesty. As for the VW group? You've got to be kidding!

Last edited:
All this complaining by members of the Forum completely misses a huge point. What if this refreshed Model 3, despite all of its warts (such as the removal of control stalks Etc) sells in a dual motor version for $40,000- that's $32,500 after Federal incentives and tax credits. This is a dual motor car with 0 to 60 in around 4 seconds, with at least 330 miles of range, possibly more, for for a price that no one else can even approach in terms of range and performance or for that matter Driving Experience. Do you think that there's any serious competition for that vehicle out there anywhere in the next two years? If you do please share. And please let's not talk about the "upcoming" GM platform because GM has only proven that they are all talk and no production. And Ford is pretty much admitting that they can't compete with Tesla. At least they get points for honesty. As for the VW group? You've got to be kidding!
agree, think way more bang for the buck will be big, lets hope Tesla delivers on that

Reactions: dfwatt
agree, think way more bang for the buck will be big, lets hope Tesla delivers on that
So far on that very big question of value for the money Tesla has not yet fumbled the ball. Even when their cars were more expensive there was no real competition on value, except maybe the Porsche Taycan as competition for the Model S. But even that has dropped off although the Porsche still has the much better chassis.

If the base Model Y is now coming in at $40,000 after incentives, it's hard to believe that Tesla won't undercut that in the sedan by at least $5,000 if not more. They seem to have figured out how to increase Demand by cutting prices and giving up some of their still rather fat margin on each car. It's a trajectory and a pathway onto which no one else can follow them because nobody else has any margin and most are actually losing money on their EV lines. I think we're very close to seeing the very first bankruptcies among the Legacy automaker group over the next two to three years. They simply can't compete, and all their noise and promotion to the contrary will not obscure that.

My biggest concern is not about whether or not Tesla will dominate the landscape. I think that's virtually assured. The bigger question is whether they will show more or less of the inevitable attraction of increasing levels of sociopathy and narcissistic personality disorder into the executive group as they get fatter and have more and more money. That's happened with many other disruptors as character disordered individuals are attracted to guaranteed money. GM and Ford were amazingly good cases in point. And it did not help matters that Henry Ford himself was pretty character disordered to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Occhis
So far on that very big question of value for the money Tesla has not yet fumbled the ball. Even when their cars were more expensive there was no real competition on value, except maybe the Porsche Taycan as competition for the Model S. But even that has dropped off although the Porsche still has the much better chassis.

If the base Model Y is now coming in at $40,000 after incentives, it's hard to believe that Tesla won't undercut that in the sedan by at least $5,000 if not more. They seem to have figured out how to increase Demand by cutting prices and giving up some of their still rather fat margin on each car. It's a trajectory and a pathway onto which no one else can follow them because nobody else has any margin and most are actually losing money on their EV lines. I think we're very close to seeing the very first bankruptcies among the Legacy automaker group over the next two to three years. They simply can't compete, and all their noise and promotion to the contrary will not obscure that.

My biggest concern is not about whether or not Tesla will dominate the landscape. I think that's virtually assured. The bigger question is whether they will show more or less of the inevitable attraction of increasing levels of sociopathy and narcissistic personality disorder into the executive group as they get fatter and have more and more money. That's happened with many other disruptors as character disordered individuals are attracted to guaranteed money. GM and Ford were amazingly good cases in point. And it did not help matters that Henry Ford himself was pretty character disordered to begin with.
Agree, Tesla is exciting now but in the future will they start acting like a legacy vendor in their field?

But tech companies, which Tesla is, tend to innovate to stay competitive
Legacy auto only stays competitive with tweaks to their platforms
Interesting how Hyundai owns Boston Dynamics and at least from the outside, we don’t see that company’s innovation at the parent company.
An example of legacy auto owning tech company. Results TBD

Agree, Tesla is exciting now but in the future will they start acting like a legacy vendor in their field?

Interesting how Hyundai owns Boston Dynamics and at least from the outside, we don’t see that company’s innovation at the parent company.
Yeah it's very hard to predict. One huge unacknowledged advantage that Tesla has had for years is that they were regarded after SpaceX as the number one place for elite engineering Talent, and from that, they have gobbled up thousands and thousands of the best engineers in a variety of fields. A lot of that came from the halo effect of Elon, but this may have significantly dimmed under the drama cycles and polarization Elon has generated on Twitter and in political arenas. I still think Tesla will be a magnet for top talent but it's possible at some point that a competitor could arise with somebody at the helm with Elon's level of technical genius but with less narcissism and authoritarian nonsense. I was hoping that Lucid could be that player but they look like they've stumbled on the predictable massive difficulties going from prototypes to production and in any case they've got Saudi money behind them, which makes Elon's issues look pretty mild. In any case Tesla's lead in so many ways is actually stretching rather than shrinking.

It will be interesting to see whether or not they can stay on course and on mission (accelerating the transition to sustainable energy and transportation) as opposed to the tendency for vast aggregations of money to derail chasing world domination. If they actually stay on-mission they'll make tons of money anyway but once you get plutocrats in charge of big systems that's all they care about unfortunately is more money, and not whatever the group was originally about. Although I have a low opinion of a fair chunk of Elon's behavior in some contexts, I don't think money is going to corrupt him because I really do think he believes in the mission more than the money. In that sense Elon is very complex and his personality reflects a kind of uneasy alloy between compensatory and defensive narcissism, genius, pro-social motives (like saving the world), and self-promoting motives, all part of the confusing trajectory of going from geeky, awkward and bullied young coding genius to world icon and Tech leader. I'm hopeful that the best parts of Elon's personality will rein in some of the worst parts. But time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: ss71 and chinney

Tech companies can get complacent too. For example Nokia and Blackberry were innovative for their time, but they got complacent after massive success and then ultimately failed. Let's hope Tesla doesn't go down that path.

One huge unacknowledged advantage that Tesla has had for years is that they were regarded after SpaceX as the number one place for elite engineering Talent, and from that, they have gobbled up thousands and thousands of the best engineers in a variety of fields... I'm hopeful that the best parts of Elon's personality will rein in some of the worst parts. But time will tell.

True that. This might be getting a little too deep for a thread about a bumper update, but despite Elon's frequent claims, he's no engineer and hasn't done jack to develop any of this stuff. What he is, is one of the greatest visionary leaders of our generation as well as the most successful human in history. The talent that these attributes attract is second to none - and that is the real key to Tesla's success - that so many of the world's most brilliant and motivated engineers flock to his companies. But thanks to his belligerent insistence on shoving his personality flaws down the world's throat, Tesla and SpaceX are likely experiencing a wicked combination of poor retention rates coupled with low quality applicant pools which may produce a dramatic slump in their ability to retain their competitive advantage over the coming years.

True that. This might be getting a little too deep for a thread about a bumper update, but despite Elon's frequent claims, he's no engineer and hasn't done jack to develop any of this stuff. What he is, is one of the greatest visionary leaders of our generation as well as the most successful human in history. The talent that these attributes attract is second to none - and that is the real key to Tesla's success - that so many of the world's most brilliant and motivated engineers flock to his companies. But thanks to his belligerent insistence on shoving his personality flaws down the world's throat, Tesla and SpaceX are likely experiencing a wicked combination of poor retention rates coupled with low quality applicant pools which may produce a dramatic slump in their ability to retain their competitive advantage over the coming years.
Yep all that is very worrisome. Like you say we are a bit far afield from the details of project Highland but I do wonder if anyone in the top group at Tesla has Elon's respect enough for him to hear "no, that's not a good idea" on almost any subject. I hope so.

that's a lot of *ifs* ... so Tesla is cutting the Model 3 AWD by ~(16%) ? that's a lot of cost savings needed to *off-set* that price cut while not hurting margins too much... if they make the Model 3 hypothetically cheaper and cheaper and cheaper but cutting costs and ommitting stuff... eventually they will lose the mid-tier of the market with enough $$ to upgrade to something better built/ quieter/ proper controls/ service experience... 0-60 at a good price isn't everything...

Maybe the intent is to capture some M2 buyers now with a scaled down M3
Then back up when the M2 arrives
Feel we want the M3 to stay mid market
Let the others fill in the bottom M2 market
Then release the M2 and blow them away with performance and features
Think M3 Camry/Accord
M2 Carolla/Civic

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
that's a lot of *ifs* ... so Tesla is cutting the Model 3 AWD by ~(16%) ? that's a lot of cost savings needed to *off-set* that price cut while not hurting margins too much... if they make the Model 3 hypothetically cheaper and cheaper and cheaper but cutting costs and ommitting stuff... eventually they will lose the mid-tier of the market with enough $$ to upgrade to something better built/ quieter/ proper controls/ service experience... 0-60 at a good price isn't everything...
So the toughest question to ask here is do you think that you are better at balancing these trade-offs than anybody at Tesla? Cuz these are all obvious considerations. So far, despite all the so-called competition, Tesla continues to completely dominate the EV Market. And if they hit their target of a 50% cost reduction in the model 3 manufacturer relative to its original 2017 production cost, this does mean that they will offer a car still with significant margin at the price point I've suggested or something around there. Whose car even on the drawing board do you think beats the dual motor M3 with 330 miles of range at a list price of 40k?