Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m gonna respectfully disagree on this one. Calling any Tesla accent lighting a “fog light” is a big joke. They are 99% accent lights to make things pretty. That’s it.

I like my fog /"pretty" lights.

171k miles.

20230912_160052.jpg

Fog (pretty) lights

Fog (pretty) lights turning <--side mirror also

My Highland won't be capable - if I get one.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the footwell lights match ambient lighting color? I like the lighting they added but I feel that would be a huge miss if they don’t all match. Hopefully there are aftermarket options to attach more lighting to the cars wiring and change the color for aftermarket lights through the center screen. They went pretty minimal with the lights but I’m sure it can be improved a lot with more accent strips/footwell lights.

So it looks like the Highland Model 3 Performance is going to get a motor (and thus performance) upgrade? If so, and it makes the new model 3 finally have a good top end and run low 11's easily at 120+, we're looking at a new affordable street king. Not that the current M3P wasn't already, but other electric vehicles from BMW and Kia within the same price segment were already catching up and with better top end.

So it looks like the Highland Model 3 Performance is going to get a motor (and thus performance) upgrade? If so, and it makes the new model 3 finally have a good top end and run low 11's easily at 120+, we're looking at a new affordable street king. Not that the current M3P wasn't already, but other electric vehicles from BMW and Kia within the same price segment were already catching up and with better top end.

Jeeze ... such tsk tsk speculation. Just a couple of paragraphs in that article. Says there's a new motor number, so it just maybe, just maybe is a performance motor. Jeeze Louieeeze. Here is paragraph one:

certification documents for Europe. Look closely and one can see the new model being associated with a new motor identification letter, which hints at the possibility of it having higher performance.

Reactions: Yelobird

Within the same price segment? Can you show me this 30k BMW EV equal?

I believe that EVERYTHING about the refresh saves Tesla money in production.

We have heard it from Elon time and time again that "The best part is no part".

A stalk is a part
A fog light is a part
A split tail light is 4 parts ( now only 2 ).

There is a lot less that can fail on the highland.

Highland, if it comes to the USA as-is, adds new bumper brake and tail lights because that's the law; lights visible even if trunk open. So that savings is false, I believe the real reason outside of styling is that it's harder to misalign 1 lamp per side vs two.

Whatever, not having stalks is pretty close to a deal breaker for me - can anyone here say they have had a failure there? Probs not. But worse is no fog lights; half my weather here in marine fog.

Reduction in parts saves $ is the real reason but a lot of that is rationalizing; people would pay for fog lights etc if allowed

Reactions: dho112
Isn't Highland supposed to be (somewhat) larger than current Model 3's. That alone would be an increase in metal, plastic and wire costs to get from one side to the other; assuming they didn't find a way around things. IE using thinner parts or unique designs that are stronger but use less material.

Last edited:
Whatever, not having stalks is pretty close to a deal breaker for me - can anyone here say they have had a failure there?
Not so much a dealer breaker for myself, but not my preference. I would pay extra fir stalks. I'm sure I'll get used to it after a few weeks.

But worse is no fog lights; half my weather here in marine fog.
I would prefer to keep the fogs as well but I only need them a handful of times a year. That said they're super helpful when I do.