Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reveling M3P Awesomeness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is the 1 month anniversary of owning my M3P and my love of this car has only grown. Thought that I should post about just how wonderful my car has been as sadly, the vast majority of posts on any forum inevitably deal with “issues” (real or feared).

The car is wickedly fast, handles beautifully has a very usable range and is built solidly with none of the panel gaps, paint issues, quality concerns that by spending time here one might assume were rampant.

Have I had a few quirky “Tesla Moments?” Yup. But as someone who was a sports car enthusiast back to the mid 1980’s, I actually find those things charming. The homogenized “perfection” that has become expected of our autos to me holds no charm.

For those of you on the fence about buying this car, I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically say “go for it!”

Today is the 1 month anniversary of owning my M3P and my love of this car has only grown. Thought that I should post about just how wonderful my car has been as sadly, the vast majority of posts on any forum inevitably deal with “issues” (real or feared).

The car is wickedly fast, handles beautifully has a very usable range and is built solidly with none of the panel gaps, paint issues, quality concerns that by spending time here one might assume were rampant.

Have I had a few quirky “Tesla Moments?” Yup. But as someone who was a sports car enthusiast back to the mid 1980’s, I actually find those things charming. The homogenized “perfection” that has become expected of our autos to me holds no charm.

For those of you on the fence about buying this car, I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically say “go for it!”

Fantastic,

Finally another good thread.

Unfortunately its probably going to be a short one.

Thanks for taking the time out to share good news. Most people with good news aren't really sharing - as indicated by the tread titles here in TMC so far.

Thanks.

I would also agree although Mine is the cheapest/slowest option for sale. IIwent with MidRange with aeros so I'd have funds for EAP and Peal White. I let a friend drive mine and then he went out and test drove all the performance models and tried to get me to do the same....I think I'd rather not know what I'm missing ha!

The only issue I've had is my rear passenger door is slightly misaligned, guess I should put in a service request. I'm nearly 4k in and have loved every minute of it!! Got out on my first 760 mile roundtrip adventure a couple weekends ago and with plenty of SCs on my route down 95 the range anxiety has quickly dimenished.

I've had an M3P for 2.5 months. Absolutely no issues with delivery or otherwise; just a ton of fun!

Before that I had an LR RWD for 6 months. It had a sticky glovebox latch. That's been the worst (and only) problem I've had with my 3's. Oh wait, I guess the RWD 3 didn't work over Wifi with my ancient router, although that issue involved a 3rd party and was really easy to work around. And the phone key doesn't work all the time. OK, so it's not perfect. But man, it's better than any other car I can imagine.

(And before that I had a used S for 2 years and put on 35k miles. The only problems I had with that were a few minor squeaks. I wouldn't have even mentioned them to the service department, but they bothered my wife because her 2012 S with 88k miles didn't make any noises).

I am about 3 Months into my love relationship with my M3P, and its changed my life.

Overall I have had just a few minor issues after 8,500 Miles:
Charge error after supercharging, had to use manual release and wait 15 minutes for the car to sleep before error cleared.
Hollow thump sound when supercharging, or battery warming up.
My panel gaps all look really nice, my interior doesn't rattle except the seatbelt tensioner very occasionally.

EAP is a gift from Elon and was one of the main reasons I sprang for my first new car. No regrets at all, absolutely worth the purchase price for what I have.

While it might be just thermal expansion and contraction, we do not know the long term effects of this oil canning happening multiple times every day. Metal fatigue is a thing when its flexed beyond its point of elasticity, and its an issue to me with build quality.

While it might be just thermal expansion and contraction, we do not know the long term effects of this oil canning happening multiple times every day. Metal fatigue is a thing when its flexed beyond its point of elasticity, and its an issue to me with build quality.

ever dump boiling water into a stainless steel sink and get the POP?

I don't think it's going to be an issue.....unless you're supercharging 3 or 4 times a day, every day.

I happens every day 3-4 times per day on my morning commute in addition to supercharging.
To date nobody has had official word that the metal in question is safe to oil can like this and make an audible thump. That thump is the release of pent up energy, if it was simple thermal movement there would be no noticeable noise.

I dont know that it will be an issue, but loud sounds of popping while driving are a build quality issue, especially on a $35-65k car

I happens every day 3-4 times per day on my morning commute in addition to supercharging.
To date nobody has had official word that the metal in question is safe to oil can like this and make an audible thump. That thump is the release of pent up energy, if it was simple thermal movement there would be no noticeable noise.

I dont know that it will be an issue, but loud sounds of popping while driving are a build quality issue, especially on a $35-65k car

but...you....have a "love" relationship with your car. Someone mentioned to not worry about one of your qualms, and now....it sounds like less than love. I would be sad if I was your car. You don't truly love it.

Lol the things we love the most are never perfect. Quirks and imperfections are a part of love.

Still its better to see the imperfections, so you aren't blinded by love either. Something is wrong with the design of the thermal expansion of the car. Eventually it'll either become a problem, or Tesla will release an official response.

A few things that have worked perfectly for me that run completely contrary to what I have read here...

1. Auto wipers. Have worked perfectly in three very varied rainstorms.
2. Doors and windows after a drenching 2" rain storm immediately followed by a hard freeze. Zero issue.
3. Brake Feel. Folks have complained about poor brake feel. Not at all in my car.
4. Handling in the cold with Pilot Sport 4S Tires? Exceptional down to the mid-20's as long as you warm them up by driving a bit before pushing them. Do they "stick" as much as they would in the summer. Nope, but so what?
5. Range. All depends on how hard you push the car and how much you use the heat in cold weather, BUT having come over from experience with two Volts (a 2012 and 2016), the M3P behaves exactly like ANY electric car does. And yes, the M3P DOES use more juice than the LR RWD, but I didn't honestly expect the two to get the same 310 miles...
6. Wind Noise. No problem.

650 miles driven so far and I think that Tesla just put together a stunning package here. Bravo.

Finally another good thread.

Unfortunately its probably going to be a short one.

Yes, complaint threads are kept alive by people who love to complain. People who like to have fun driving the best car ever offered to the motoring public are, well, enjoying their car. Posting on a forum pales in comparison to "bonding" with your car.

Our two Model 3's are completely problem free from day 1 and look beautiful in every respect. Maybe I should post a thread about that?

Naw, I think I'll check the fridge to see if we're getting low on anything so I can take the P3D to the supermarket. Come to think of it, our fridge has never remained so consistently stocked with eggs, butter, milk and produce as it has since we took delivery of our first Model 3!:D