Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rich Rebuilds Electrified Garage repairs Model 3 at $15K+ discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, on a "is it fixed" level, it's fixed.

On a lease level, the guy is risking a problem, but at least he can now budget for it, instead of having to emergency sell his race car to get his daily driver running again.

What I wonder are 2 things:
  • how did the nipple fix still cost $700? Or are we talking the total price of shipping the car a few states over? Or are we talking about the fix is $5 in parts and $695 in expertise?
  • Would the $16000 price be for a replaced battery, while Tesla holds to the faulty battery pack? And is a new battery pack and keeping the old one more expensive? Or did Tesla go wrong here with quoting $16000 as cost for a new battery pack, and keeping the old pack for free?

I think (but dont know) that the cost of the battery at 16k also includes a core charge (return of the old battery). if one wanted to keep the old battery, or not return it and just buy a new one, i believe the cost is higher than that.

If there is any battery issue in future tesla have to prove that it's due to this repair to void warranty or else it's just like any warranty repair.
Tesla doesn't have to prove anything, it's a modification to the cooling system that's enough for them to deny him warranty coverage on the battery. He can try and take it to arbitration but that means hiring a lawyer and getting experts which will be expensive and even then his chances of prevailing are minimal.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
How does one forget to add comprehensive, when switching insurance policies? Surely, his new insurance company would have asked since comprehensive is the 3rd biggest line item after collision and liability.

I think (but dont know) that the cost of the battery at 16k also includes a core charge (return of the old battery). if one wanted to keep the old battery, or not return it and just buy a new one, i believe the cost is higher than that.
In the video the owner claims that the Tesla SeC said there wasn't a core charge on the battery. So he wanted the damaged battery back, so he could recoup the costs by selling the individual packs, but the Tesla SeC didn't want that.

In the video the owner claims that the Tesla SeC said there wasn't a core charge on the battery. So he wanted the damaged battery back, so he could recoup the costs by selling the individual packs, but the Tesla SeC didn't want that.
Wow ok, thats interesting. Not sure how they could refuse to give you the damaged part back, if there is no core charge on it and you request it. You are supposed to have the ability to request your damaged parts back.

Shrug, "tesla being tesla" I guess.

Wow ok, thats interesting. Not sure how they could refuse to give you the damaged part back, if there is no core charge on it and you request it. You are supposed to have the ability to request your damaged parts back.

It wasn’t clear, but it sounded like they relented, but essentially wanted a licensed hazmat team of some kind to pick up the battery including discharging it. The discharging makes no sense of course as it would destroy it. Just sounds like another way for Tesla to avoid returning the core. Customer and public safety!

No, it will absolutely 100% be an issue when he goes to turn this car in, and as @Gauss Guzzler noted, they see "16k battery pack replacement declined" in the notes for the car. If I was that person, I would try to sell that car to carvana, vroom, etc.. quickly. Problem with that might be that there might a document one signs there talking about damage, etc.

The only way they can avoid paying for it at some point, is if tesla reverses course on this and allows people to buy their own model 3s coming off lease.
When I said "non-issue", I was referring to the performance of the cooling system and vehicle. If Tesla want to cry foul over the repair, sure, *that* could be an issue for the lease holder. However, that guy isn't in this thread (as far as we know :)). If something similar happened to my car, which I own, I would very much prefer the EG fix over replacing the battery pack.

Reactions: jjrandorin
There's been some attention from the media (and RR) being dedicated to this story of a guy getting a $16,000 repair bill to do $700 job:

Well, that's just outright BS. Maybe a tech a Tesla messed up?

The only reason I know is because I recently had this exact issue occur on my car. Front coolant hose (return line) was broken on a peice of debris as I was parking in a dirt parking lot. My quote to drop the battery? $1000. Hose? $15. I can supply my invoice as proof, along with the pictures that the tech took that showcase how identical my issue was to this YouTube guy.

I'm just saying that take this story with a big old grain of salt. I think RR is using it as a marketing opportunity, and that the media is running away with it because the love to showcase how Tesla isn't "that good".

I'll try to upload my picture when I get home (at work right now but can't not let the community know about this story being fishy).

Front coolant hose (return line) was broken on a peice of debris as I was parking in a dirt parking lot. My quote to drop the battery? $1000. Hose? $15. I can supply my invoice as proof, along with the pictures that the tech took that showcase how identical my issue was to this YouTube guy.
That doesn't sound the same. In this case there wasn't any hoses that were busted. What was busted was the hose connector coming out of the battery pack.

But it would be good to see pictures of what was broken on your vehicle, as well as the part number of what was replaced.

When I said "non-issue", I was referring to the performance of the cooling system and vehicle. If Tesla want to cry foul over the repair, sure, *that* could be an issue for the lease holder. However, that guy isn't in this thread (as far as we know :)). If something similar happened to my car, which I own, I would very much prefer the EG fix over replacing the battery pack.
The circumstances for someone who owns their car is entirely different than someone who's leased it. If this happened to you then you could take it to EG and have them do their quick and dirty repair, however if Rich asks to put it in YouTube you should tell him to go stuff himself. The worst thing that could happen to you is if the battery fails and Tesla refuses to honor the warranty because of a non-standard repair you would be out the same $16K as if you had them do the original swap. Chances are you will never have a battery failure and even if you do there is a good chance that no one at Tesla will notice the fix, it's worth rolling the dice.

I just requested a part back that I paid for. I requested it in the inital service appointment and chat. Didn't get the part back. Was so sick of the SC I just wanted to get out of there.

I also did not get an invoice for the estimate to include parts/labor - had to ask two times before I got it. Another law in Wa that says they must give it...

Had an issue with a landlord this past year in WA who was in violation of a law. Called multiple agencies and got nowhere.

Lots of laws on the books but no one to enforce them, unfortunately (at least here).

This is just Rich being a biatch, again, for clicks.

You have the right to repair your own car, sure, tesla doesnt have to offer a bodged fix though, and as said its a leased car with an unapproved fix now.

Good thing this has show is a replacement battery pack is only $16k at the moment (and should get cheaper).

Obviously you'd fix this yourself or get a local garage to do it rather than tesla (if the car is out of warranty) or at worst use a recovered battery pack from a crashed/written off car or something.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
They can't void their whole warranty (although plenty attempt to do so, the law is one thing, what they do in practical terms is another), but they certainly can void the part that was repaired using unauthorized methods (basically if something goes wrong with that part, they will blame the repair being done improperly).
NO THEY CAN'T. If you use an incorrect part, like the wrong weight motor oil AND they have proof that it causes the damage in question, then they can void the part of the warranty caused by that improper part. THEY CANNOT BLANKET CLAIM YOUR NON-TELSA PARTS OR REPAIR VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.

Reactions: doomsday997
THEY CANNOT BLANKET CLAIM YOUR NON-TELSA PARTS OR REPAIR VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.

Actually they can. (It doesn't mean it is legal and they will win, but they can do it.) At which point you would have to bring legal action. Then they put their tech/expert on the stand that says that they believe that the repair led to the failure. And then you have to prove that their tech/expert is wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: doomsday997
"Your honour we leased this gentleman a vehicle, which he was required to insure and failed to, then he damaged it and instead of accepting an approved repair he chose to take it to a non approved garage and have a non approved repair made to the battery cooling system which may have directly impacted the battery health"

yeah good luck with that...

Actually they can. At which point you would have to bring legal action. Then they put their tech/expert on the stand that says that they believe that the repair led to the failure. And then you have to prove that their tech/expert is wrong.

1. If you have a modification that Tesla claims is causing a problem they can't void your warranty. The smart thing would be to reverse the modification so Telsa can't claim that modification is causing the problem. It's definitely cheaper than going to court.
  2. Yes, it doesn't matter if you're right. It depends on who a jury believes. Just like everything else that goes to court. A lawyer is not going to take some absurd case where a person did something that obviously caused damage. This particular case? Yeah, an attorney would LOVE to shame Telsa over screwing this guy over if they tried to claim his car's warranty is now void because a MECHANIC fixed the cooling system.

"Your honour we leased this gentleman a vehicle, which he was required to insure and failed to, then he damaged it and instead of accepting an approved repair he chose to take it to a non approved garage and have a non approved repair made to the battery cooling system which may have directly impacted the battery health"

yeah good luck with that...
I guess you said it yourself. "MAY HAVE DIRECTLY IMPACTED THE BATTERY". Tesla needs to prove that not just say things.

And if there is really issue with the fix eg did it would come out sooner than 3years down the line or so. If in complete year cycle there is no issue with battery pack then we can say there is no issue with repair since anything that fails due to fix should come out by then...

Reactions: ord3r