Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim cleaning, maintenance and shiny tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a quick search but didn't find too much on this topic other than a lot of comments on the two bucket washing approach. If I missed a thread, please just point me to it.

I have the stock 19" rims, and although I would love to have the 21" Grey Turbine as they look amazing, I decided to stick to the 19".
I was wondering what do you use to clean and keep the rims clean? With my previous cars, I've just washed them with car soap (separate sponge/cloth), and applied RainX to it to help it keep it clean.

Also, what product do you recommend to keep the edges of the tire shiny?

Thanks

PS: I know some of these are not specific to Tesla Model S, but it's been a long time since I've had a "new" car, and also have _never_ had such an expensive and amazing car that I am learning again all the details and what has changed over the many years.

I've tried a lot of different products and I know people are almost religious when it comes to car detailing products, but here's my 2 cents :)

Since I've got my Tesla I've started using products from Poorboy and they are amazing - they do exactly what they are supposed, in most cases they can be mixed with water to make them last longer and the smell really good :) However for cleaning I use Valetpro.

Here's what I use:

Cleaning: Syrefri fælgrens fra ValetPro - Bilberry Fælgrens
Tireshine: Blanke Dæk - Så skal du bruge dæk glans fra PoorboysWorld (the best tire dressing I have tried and it smells like coconut oil :))
Protection: Fælgforsegler - Giv dine fælge et ekstra lag forsegler.

Use a brush like this to clean the wheels - it's so much easier than using a bigger brush: Bilpleje Pensel - Til de små steder, bilvask, bil polering og mange andre steder

All the links are to a danish webshop, but you should be able to identify the products and google them

For keeping the tires shiny I use this for application, which lets you run it around the tire and also run it in the small inward lip around the wheel edge.
Amazon.com: Griot Red Waxing Pad - Set of 3: Automotive
Amazon.com: Griot Palm Grip Pad Holder: Automotive

For cleaning the turbines and calipers I use this. The long one can reach all the way through the wheels to clean all that nasty gunk that builds up.
Amazon.com: Griots Garage 15704 Micro Fiber Wheel Wand, (Pack of 2): Automotive

For drying, I use an old MF drying towel that's become pretty dirty... not the best idea, but wheels usually hold up a little better.
Amazon.com: Griots Garage 11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel: Automotive

For drying inside the wheel I use these and wrap them in a MF towel.
Amazon.com: Griots Garage 15736 Long Reach Wheel Brush - Set of 3: Automotive

For tire dressing I've used this and it works well. I've also used Back to Black, but not sure if it is the best for tires. Gels work best for the applicator I linked above.
Amazon.com: Meguiars G7516 Endurance Tire Gel - 16 oz.: Automotive

Nice guides Jean-Claude!

I used an applicator for tire dressing like the one you have and I found that it increased the risk of getting gel on the wheel itself. The thing I really like about the Griot's applicator I linked to is that the pads are replaceable, a little more rigid, and they attach to a holder that is squishy, but firm and keeps your hand off any product. I still use gloves, but the holder has really improved the application experience for me.

Nice guides Jean-Claude!

I used an applicator for tire dressing like the one you have and I found that it increased the risk of getting gel on the wheel itself. The thing I really like about the Griot's applicator I linked to is that the pads are replaceable, a little more rigid, and they attach to a holder that is squishy, but firm and keeps your hand off any product. I still use gloves, but the holder has really improved the application experience for me.

Thanks Pete.
We like the pad conforming as it allows us to coat the little bead between the tire sidewall and the rim. There's definitely more than one way to get it done though.

Thanks Pete.
We like the pad conforming as it allows us to coat the little bead between the tire sidewall and the rim. There's definitely more than one way to get it done though.

These pads do too they are just more rigid so it gives you a tighter application.

You do way more detailing than I do so I'm sure you've tried all kinds of products. Just thought I'd mention it because while I too use gloves, the holder has been a nice addition. I used to use these Amazon.com: Eagle One 5010602 Tire Swipes - 2 Count: Automotive, which did a decent job of the beads area, but hated the shape of them.

These pads do too they are just more rigid so it gives you a tighter application.

You do way more detailing than I do so I'm sure you've tried all kinds of products. Just thought I'd mention it because while I too use gloves, the holder has been a nice addition. I used to use these Amazon.com: Eagle One 5010602 Tire Swipes - 2 Count: Automotive, which did a decent job of the beads area, but hated the shape of them.

We've used those(well, not "eagle one" but basically the exact same thing) and didn't care for them very much. Different folks different strokes and all. :D

We continue trying out new applicator pads and even use brushes from time to time. It really is one those those things where there is no right or wrong...just what the user prefers. ;)

Personally, I hate the "shiny" tire look, but I do like them clean. I just prefer the natural mat black look. I use a sponge and regular car wash soap on the rims and commercially available spray-on tire cleaner on the rubber. I spray it on, scrub with a tire brush and rinse.

I'm not a fan of shiny tires because the shine products lubricate the tires making them easier to cut. Also many of the shine products aren't good for the sidewall compounds (despite the claims).

I have the stock 19" rims, and although I would love to have the 21" Grey Turbine as they look amazing, I decided to stick to the 19".

if you want the look of the 21" grey turbines but stay at 19" buy these: TST Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 19x8.5 MANY of us here have done this, including myself. they are awesome wheels. lets you keep that "factory" look even though they are aftermarket. pics of my car with these wheels here: T Sportline 19 TST Wheels For Sale Tesla Model S - Page 11