Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim protection - recommendation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just scratched my alloy wheel... Do you have any recommendation for rim protectors? I have seen quite few on eBay and Amazon but there are very mixed reviews about them.

Many thanks in advance. I have 18 inch aero wheels.

Piotr
I’ve got Alloy Gators ... they’re ok, but I can foresee issues if they get kerbed ... they will protect the rim for sure, but will most likely partly come out / away from the wheel

^ this

I once parked next to a Model S that had rim protectors that had obviously been recently kerbed. They were a real mess and if they hadn't already, it was only a matter of time before they started to do some even more serious damage than a bit of rim rash.

This ok for model 3: Check this out at Amazon.co.uk LJYLJY Car Wheel Rim Protectors Compatible For Tesla Model 3,Alloy Wheels Protectors,Rimblades,Tire Guard,18-20Inch Wheel Edge Ring,Set Of 4,Trims,Car Accessories,Universal,Red-18in https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DN96HDF/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fab_sLIFFbMW4WFJK

This one, not good: Check this out at Amazon.co.uk 18 Inch Diameter Rim Ringz Alloy Wheel Protectors (Racing Red) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BE1VJB8/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fab_SKIFFbENSV5E0

Reactions: piotroek
I have just scratched my alloy wheel... Do you have any recommendation for rim protectors? I have seen quite few on eBay and Amazon but there are very mixed reviews about them.

Many thanks in advance. I have 18 inch aero wheels.

Piotr
There have been reports of rim protectors coming unstuck in motion and damaging the car bodywork.

My suggestion would be to pay and get this one wheel repaired, and then spend £129 on 3 years of alloy insurance.

The design of the aero wheel is horrendous. You’ll find that you kerb them again and again.

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?

Reactions: piotroek
I think all these protection things is abit like an iPhone that lives its life in a case... you put up with it looking ugly so the next person can have a great immaculate device at a fraction of the price.
I tend to agree with this.

The rim protector things aren't too bad looking, but they still stand out to me.

Having said that, my iPhone is in a case and has a screen protector - simply because it will be worth more to sell when it comes to it, so it's not an entirely fair analogy.

I would liken rim protectors as being like bonnet bras you used to see on cars - to protect against stone chips. Looks horrific and is only of benefit to the next owner, as you say.

I've had Alloygators on both my Model S for a period of over 4 years, 45K miles.

My first experience of kerb rash was within less than a mile of my first purchase when a white van gave me the alternative of collision or flirting with the kerb! The kerb won!

I replaced the first set after about 20K miles and literally on my way to having them replaced One of them came loose on the M42. Fortunately it was 7am on a Saturday morning, traffic was very quiet and I was able to pull over to the hard shoulder and physically pull it off - not easy but manageable even for a 70+ year old

I would recommend them from a preventative point of view, I would also suggest having them fitted by your local trusted detailer. My detailer will replace a single Alloygator in the event that I have a disaster, but minor scuffs will be absorbed and though evident on close inspection do not reduce the deterrent element.

It's really a YMMV situation. Sure you can take out alloy insurance which is probably cost effective but then you're without the car whilst your alloys are repaired. I've always preferred prevention above cure.

I think all these protection things is abit like an iPhone that lives its life in a case... you put up with it looking ugly so the next person can have a great immaculate device at a fraction of the price.
I put cases and screen protectors on my daughters phones not so the next owner can have an immaculate device but so they will last more than 6 weeks without being utterly destroyed. We go through a lot of screen protectors at £3 a go but not many phones.
So if the wheel protection is unobtrusive and replacing it is actually substantially cheaper than repairing the wheels themselves then I can see the argument.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
So if the wheel protection is unobtrusive and replacing it is actually substantially cheaper than repairing the wheels themselves then I can see the argument.
At £80 a set for the wheel protectors I really can’t see them as very cost effective. Presumably with the ones from Amazon you also have to buy them in sets, so if you trash one, there goes another £80!

The repairs that have been done (many times :oops:) on my wheels look like a new rim, and I drop the car off in Derby for about an hour while I do a bit of shopping, so not really inconvenient for me. Of course YMMV.

I imagine after my 3 year policy is up I’ll have to learn how to do this myself, with a Dremel and some touch-up paint I guess. There’s an idea for another thread...

Why don't more tyres have the rim protection ridges that were a part of the sidewall on some brands years ago?

I remember fitting (I think) Pirellis to my Merc that had these rim protection ridges. I had them fitted when I fitted new wheels to the car, specifically because I thought they might help protect the rims. They seemed to do a good job, and didn't look out of place. I don't think they made the tyres perform any differently, either.

I don't think the comparison with screen protectors is as valid as it sounds.

Phone screen protectors are a practical defence against reasonable drops, same with cases. I'm careful but I've had to replace two tempered glass screen protectors that cracked from an accidental drop. You can drop your phone every time you handle it, whereas the potential to kerb a wheel is something that ought to only happen on rare occasions (parking, tight streets, etc).

Cases and screen protectors also protect against scratches on the screen or case (that you can't easily replace) from just normal usage - being in your pocket, placed on surfaces, etc.

Obviously it's different strokes for different folks - but I run without rim protectors (famous last words) and just take extra care when driving. I have a case and a screen protector on my phone because not having those things would almost guarantee blemishes on the phone itself, even with the best will in the world.

Why don't more tyres have the rim protection ridges that were a part of the sidewall on some brands years ago?

I remember fitting (I think) Pirellis to my Merc that had these rim protection ridges. I had them fitted when I fitted new wheels to the car, specifically because I thought they might help protect the rims. They seemed to do a good job, and didn't look out of place. I don't think they made the tyres perform any differently, either.
At a guess it's because it's become fashionable to have bigger and bigger alloys, so tyre profiles have necessarily got smaller as a result. I remember (back when I were a lad) having 17" alloys on my Civic Type-R was a big deal. Now 20" alloys on a Tesla are just pretty typical.

There have been reports of rim protectors coming unstuck in motion and damaging the car bodywork.

My suggestion would be to pay and get this one wheel repaired, and then spend £129 on 3 years of alloy insurance.

The design of the aero wheel is horrendous. You’ll find that you kerb them again and again.

Have you ever kerbed your Aero wheels?
What no referral code for this one Roy? you're slipping

I had some like those once.
My wife ground the sidewalls down to the canvas and I had to replace them :rolleyes:

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Any suggestions for rim protectors?"

Switched my SR+ for a LR (due next week) and while I hope we are used to the cars wheels now, I wondered if anyone had any experience of good rim protectors? Would be nice to retain a set of non-curbed wheels this time. First time round they didn't last very long!

Last edited by a moderator:
AlloyGators are not the cheapest, but they work very well and are durable. I have been using them on my cars for the last six years.
AlloyGator Alloy Wheel Rim Protection - Get 15% Off Your Next Order

These are very strong but they must be attached by someone who really knows how to do it. Otherwise they, or any other protectors, can come off. I have mine done by my detailer, who has worked on my Teslas as they depart from delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Itsuo-DC