Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my M3 to service center for the HW3 upgrade. Also mentioned my undercarriage was torn 6 months ago from water. Car is Almost 2 years old now.

Originally on the invoice they had a $230 line item for the new undercarriage me that I didn’t have the energy to dispute so was going to pay it. Turns out when they did it they actually did it on warranty and no charge. Super surprised after reading the responses on this thread. With the new design too. Looks great.

Is this rear of front that ripped? Mine was front driving in rain and of course standard answer was I hit something. The piece is right where car bottoms on a speed bump and there are two metal pieces that come down lower on the sides so it's total nonsense.

Just found this thread, my cover also disintegrated. Late 2018 Model3P. I took it off as the highway noise was insane, service appointment on the 20th to replace and I'm hoping all under warranty.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.06.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.06.11 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 331
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.06.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.06.00 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.05.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 11.05.48 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 159
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Just found this thread, my cover also disintegrated. Late 2018 Model3P. I took it off as the highway noise was insane, service appointment on the 20th to replace and I'm hoping all under warranty.
Exactly what ripped on mine, I think same place too. I was charged like 212 dollars for it as they said I hit something. Gee, who hasn't hit something at that point of the car, the part that goes right over speed bumps.

I sent an email to Tesla asking for a refund of the money I spent replacing the cover that clearly is a design issue. There are enough people getting it replaced that they need to own up to the issue. Not to mention that it only ripped during a heavy rain day so the you hit something argument is nonsense. Regardless even if someone did hit something on the bottom, its a car and shouldn't be ripping. My 2004 prius doesn't have these issues.

Email I got back from Tesla concerning this. I wrote back and while I'm certainly appreciative of the credit, it doesn't make sense what they are saying because I was told I was getting a new upgraded panel which means it should have been covered under warranty. If I didn't get a new panel, then I was lied to which is worse, but either way they should be refunding the money.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 10:32 AM
Subject: Resolution Regarding your Tesla Service Request

Good morning Robert,

My name is Nick Perry, and I am the service manager for Tesla Dania Beach. It has come to my attention that you have disputed a service charge from your June 5th service, of which I have attached the invoice. I understand that you have come across information where we (Tesla) have replaced the aeroshield panel on other Model 3s under warranty, and you feel you should not have been charged for the repair. Please know that we are constantly improving our products, and the repairs related to this concern under which we covered under warranty apply to Model 3 vehicles produced prior to May 21, 2019. Your vehicle was produced on July 6, 2019 and was equipped with the improved aeroshield panel, which is why you were charged for the repair.

That being said, I can understand your frustration and confusion, especially with the differing accounts across several forums. I want you to know that we highly value our customers’ satisfaction, and in good faith I would like to extend to you a service credit in the amount that you paid for the above-mentioned repair, $214.00. I will place this credit on your account, and you may use the credit toward any service you may need (recommended maintenance, tires, etc.). This email may serve as your proof of this credit. Thank you for your support of our mission of accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy- if you need anything, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Nick Perry | Service Manager

1949 Tigertail Blvd, Dania Beach, FL 33004

[email protected]

I am convinced this is an issue. I inspected the thing on my weeks old "new used" early 2018 model 3 .
Seems fairly robust. I don't think the shield absorbs water and gets compromised Problem I see is the front edge *might*
catch on debris & peel back and/or scoop water.... resulting in a tear.

Being a composite relatively soft material means bolts don't get torqued down as much as a metal panel. This might lead
to bolts falling out.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I am going to have the new shield part number 1104313-00-B (vs. A) preemptively installed. This is reputed to be a more robust
panel, still not as good as a plastic or metal replacement I am hoping better than the original

For added insurance I will ask the tech to use lock-tite on the threads.Then some gray flex seal tape 4" wide across the seam (.... except the center cut out square which may help with drainage). (Tech wil look at me cross-eyed and refuse)
------------------------------------------------
Finally I am going to put the thing in deep storage, never drive it and start using my girlfriends Honda CR-V.
Sell all of my Tesla stock, hunker down and wait for covid to pass......

.s-l1600.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a Rocket Scientist, I only play one on TV.

I supposedly have the new piece, supposedly always had it although that is what the service center manager is telling me while the service tech told me I got the new upgraded part so someone is full of baloney, at any rate, assuming the manager is correct and I had the upgraded part from the beginning, it ripped just like paper and coincidentally did it when it was a decent rain storm and puddles were on the road. Tesla is going to get swept by the competition pretty quickly if they don't own up and fix their problems. Yes they are far ahead for the moment, but that isn't going to last too long and I for one don't have 214 dollars to throw away every time it rains.

I am convinced this is an issue. I inspected the thing on my weeks old "new used" early 2018 model 3 .
Seems fairly robust. I don't think the shield absorbs water and gets compromised Problem I see is the front edge *might*
catch on debris & peel back and/or scoop water.... resulting in a tear.

Being a composite relatively soft material means bolts don't get torqued down as much as a metal panel. This might lead
to bolts falling out.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I am going to have the new shield part number 1104313-00-B (vs. A) preemptively installed. This is reputed to be a more robust
panel, still not as good as a plastic or metal replacement I am hoping better than the original

For added insurance I will ask the tech to use lock-tite on the threads.Then some gray flex seal tape 4" wide across the seam (.... except the center cut out square which may help with drainage). (Tech wil look at me cross-eyed and refuse)
------------------------------------------------
Finally I am going to put the thing in deep storage, never drive it and start using my girlfriends Honda CR-V.
Sell all of my Tesla stock, hunker down and wait for covid to pass......

.View attachment 602833

Disclaimer: I am not a Rocket Scientist, I only play one on TV.

I tried to have the shield preemptively replaced last year. But request was declined citing "Tesla does not replace parts preemptively".

I was able to cite the service bulletin related to this and got my undamaged aero shield replaced with the "B" part revision. Comparing the "A" part that came off my car and the new part, I honestly could not recognize any difference at all and felt a little sheepish about asking the mobile service tech to proceed with the replacement. Idk what improvements were made but it was not the plastic molded version I had expected.

>"Comparing the "A" part that came off my car and the new part, I honestly could not recognize any difference"

Good to know. Did you keep the original shield ? I would get a hold of it to compare.
Snip off a piece of each, measure with micrometer & put it in a glass with some Alka-Seltzer.

Let us know the results.

• Funny
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
>"Comparing the "A" part that came off my car and the new part, I honestly could not recognize any difference"

Good to know. Did you keep the original shield ? I would get a hold of it to compare.
Snip off a piece of each, measure with micrometer & put it in a glass with some Alka-Seltzer.

Let us know the results.
Unfortunately, they took the old part but I felt the material on both and couldn’t tell the difference.
FE6931AA-7628-4270-A3E3-A1505A742BE5.jpeg
9A7235A2-6DEA-44E1-9F15-38FE25F1B2D9.jpeg
7A78A093-2CB5-40EB-A6FA-2DBEB314B4B4.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tkc9789
This is an interesting story - so they replaced Type A with Type B, but there's no discernable difference (other than that they won't replace Type B under warranty)? This talk of an injection-moulded smooth plastic replacement seems to have been just talk? I wonder if the new 2021 refresh will be the same?

Possibly an opportunity for a third-party spares company?

This is an interesting story - so they replaced Type A with Type B, but there's no discernable difference (other than that they won't replace Type B under warranty)? This talk of an injection-moulded smooth plastic replacement seems to have been just talk? I wonder if the new 2021 refresh will be the same?

Possibly an opportunity for a third-party spares company?
The aero shields don't simply disintegrate through being in contact with water. They tear as a result of the car running over something and damaging them or one or more fastening bolts loosening or falling out which can then cause a large volume of water to be scooped up and rip them.
If a cover like this is damaged or is hanging down for some reason, you want it to rip, otherwise it could end up causing more damage to other parts of the car or channel water into the drive unit area, steering column, wiring looms etc.

I've got one of the B rev covers here and will be using it to replace my original (damaged) one at some point in the near future, so I'll have a good look to see what's different.

I can't see anyone being interested in spending the money on making aftermarket versions of these covers. The demand wouldn't justify the cost of the mould. Maybe in 5 year's time when there are a lot more ageing Model 3s around, but not now.

>>If a cover like this is damaged or is hanging down for some reason, you want it to rip,

Respectfully disagree . Too many instances of torn panels weeks after delivery. It's not like a fender or rim road rash where there was driver error and definitive impact.. Bottom out due to old steep aprons on driveways or road debris scrape, branches etc. is a common occurrence. I am a careful driver and have had this happen many times over years of ownership. A plastic panel would take a bit more abuse and still tear without damaging structural undercarriage components.

Why the new part numbers ? is it just because they had to do a second run (same construction) to keep up with damaged parts or is it improved at all ? Curious to see what you find when you compare the new part number to old..

Reactions: beachmiles
>>If a cover like this is damaged or is hanging down for some reason, you want it to rip,

Respectfully disagree . Too many instances of torn panels weeks after delivery. It's not like a fender or rim road rash where there was driver error and definitive impact.. Bottom out due to old steep aprons on driveways or road debris scrape, branches etc. is a common occurrence. I am a careful driver and have had this happen many times over years of ownership. A plastic panel would take a bit more abuse and still tear without damaging structural undercarriage components.

Why the new part numbers ? is it just because they had to do a second run (same construction) to keep up with damaged parts or is it improved at all ? Curious to see what you find when you compare the new part number to old..

The new part # is more sturdy/rigid the service center showed and mentioned it. It is also resistant to water weight being absorbed by the material. The old one was not.

I'll give them both a good look when I've got the old one off but as above it may just be a change in material or production method which isn't that obvious.

I still think that most of the instances of these covers ripping has been a result of the securing bolts falling out first, which is in itself unsatisfactory but doesn't mean the rev A part will just fall apart when driving thru puddles.

I've been on several track days with my P3D driving thru standing water at over 100 mph repeatedly and had no issues at all with the covers. The reason why my front one now needs replacing is completely down to me driving over a hidden kerb and damaging it. That same type of material is used for the wheel arch liners and being exposed to water all the time without disintegrating. I keep seeing reports of owners saying they rip apart when you drive through a puddle at 10mph and that's just complete nonsense.

Just now dropped my 2018 Model 3 with two perfectly good original panels. Was non-confrontational but did come prepared with the service bulletin and stack of 8x10 color glossies. The tech at the desk didn't even care to look or bat an eye "we'll have it done this afternoon". Now I can hydroplane puddles in comfort.

Happy Camper. Doubling down on my Tesla stock. Thanks to all who contributed to this forum.

Last edited: